Carbon Monoxide Testing

smileyfaces

Reaction score
I've just had my booking appointment with the midwife and we went through all my history, previous pregnancies blah blah.

She asked if I smoked and I said no, I quit once I found out I was pregnant (which I did! Completely cold turkey, haven't smoked for two weeks).

Anyway she says she needs to test my carbon monoxide levels with this device that looks like a breathalyser. Is this a new thing? I didn't have this with my previous pregnancies?

Anyway I blow into and it stops in the red zone on level 8 which suggests I'm a smoker! I'm so peeved! I bet she thought I was such a liar and that I am still smoking (which I'm truly not!!). She said it could be from a faulty boiler at home or traffic fumes but I'm not sure?!

Has anyone else ever blown into the red zone and they don't smoke? I said it could be left over CO because I only quit like 2 weeks ago but she said its highly unlikely.

She was actually lovely but I just felt like I was on trial or something. :dohh:

I also had this with my current but not with my previous pregnancy. She asked if I smoked then i said no and she asked me to blow into it. I felt embarrassed as if she didn't believe me!

I don't smoke and no one in my house does. We also have a carbon monoxide at home. When I blew into it it had a reading of 2 which I was relieved about so it didn't blow Into the red zone. She said anything under 4 would be a non smoker.

I would be a bit concerned if I was you. Do you have a carbon monoxide detector at home? It may be worth getting one if not as it can be dangerous if there is a leak. Otherwise does anyone else smoke at home?

Yes my husband smokes but he only smokes outside. Plus he slept on the couch last night so its not even as if I've breathed his fumes in bed lol.

I will defo be investing in a carbon monoxide detector!

Think it's new I've never smoked and she did mine too

I don't smoke, nor does my DH. We had to do this for IVF and at my booking appointment. The midwife knew we wouldn't get the NHS treatment if we were smokers but explained we could be exposed due to faulty boilers at home or work etc so it's just more for peace of mind and well being of me and the baby. I didn't feel she didn't believe me, just that it was part of the process they have to go through.

Ps. Maybe should get a carbon detector at home to make sure nothing there affecting you.

I did hear about a lady who gave up smoking and took up running (in London) who registered higher from car fumes being inhaled on her runs than she had when smoking.

They did this when I was pregnant with my daughter which was nearly 4 years ago. I don't smoke and never have, so they didn't ask me to blow into, but they did put it out on the table while we did the appointment, perhaps to measure the levels in the house? If you only quit a few weeks ago, yes, I would assume it's the levels left over, also in your clothes and in your car or house, if you ever smoked in either (also, does your partner smoke?). Second and third hand smoke will affect it. Alternatively, a lot of cars put out shockingly high levels of CO. We have CO monitors at home and also at our business because my husband has some equipment he uses that emits CO, so we're always monitoring it. We drove around and did the shopping one day with the monitor in the car because he had brought it home and wanted to remember to take it back to the workshop in the morning and we were shocked how high the readings were in the car (neither of us have ever smoked and we have relatively new cars). So yes, it would be normal probably to still get a noticeable reading if you've only recently quit. You can ask to have it re-tested though at another appointment. Also, I would consider getting monitors for your house too just to be on the safe side, if you don't already have them.

Thanks for all the feedback! I was actually in a traffic jam for 50-60 minutes prior to my appointment and the midwife did say this could have affected the reading. I'm already planning on buying a detector for the house.

Was just so shocked it went to red! I might have expected amber since I only quit two weeks ago but not red! Lol!

Ive never had this. I've never been a smoker though, and I have a carbon monoxide alarm, so I'd probably feel a bit miffed if I was asked to do it.

Yes mine was 5 and I've never smoked and nobody in my house smokes either. She did say it may be due to traffic.

Ive never had this. I've never been a smoker though, and I have a carbon monoxide alarm, so I'd probably feel a bit miffed if I was asked to do it.

I was I felt like she never believed I didn't smoke 🙄

Jeeez this has made me feel worse. Supposedly 12hrs after stopping your CO levels should be right back down?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-07-15-35-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-07-15-35-24.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 6
I was tested at my booking appointment despite the fact I have never smoked. We had been in traffic for ages with the window down and I still scored 0. I would also be concerned. Our car journey was 1hr through roadworks, I was tested about 10 minutes later and still came back negative. Maybe ask for a repeat test in a few days?

She said if you smoked then they would expect it to be over 5 so she said she would check it again next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->