carseats

KatelynsMummy

Mummy to Katelyn!
Reaction score
The other thread just had me thinking...
Where your from, what are the recommended ages and weight for rear facing? Do you go more by age or weight?
:flower:

Stephen's already over the weight for rear-facing but I still keep him facing that way and height doesn't matter, when he's too big for his seat, I'll get a new one... you can get extended rear facing seats which I'll use.

To me when I feel the time is right I'll forward face him, but it's not yet.

The AAP has put out new reccomendations here -- they say until 2 yrs old. The law is 1 yr AND 20 lbs.

I go by the limits for my seat. Both my kids outgrew their infant seat fast. Seats are only safe as long as they are under the weight limit for THAT seat and as long as there is at LEAST 1 full inch of seat structure above the top of their head.

Otter made it to 5 months in his infant seat. DK made it about 6. After that I bought them both extended rear facing seats. I'll keep them rear facing in those until they reach the weight limit, which is 40 lbs for their seats (Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL). DK is 9 months and has a long way to go. Otter is 22 months and has about 3-5 lbs before he has to be switched around. He's been gaining slowly lately (finally!) so hopefully that will be well past 2 yrs old for him.

This is them in their ERF seats. :mrgreen:
https://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx223/TigerLady_Otter/IMG_4662.jpg

Weight is more important than age x

But age is very important. A 6month old physically is not as able as a 9month old or a 1year old. Babies heads are too big for their bodies, they need to get into proportion before they would be able to support their own head in an accident.

^^ Yup. Weight and age are both very important. Basically it is safest to keep them rear facing for as long as you possibly can without exceeding the limits for whatever seat you have. Do everything you can to RF them for AT LEAST 1 year. 2 years is better. 3-4 years is better still. :thumbup:

But age is very important. A 6month old physically is not as able as a 9month old or a 1year old. Babies heads are too big for their bodies, they need to get into proportion before they would be able to support their own head in an accident.

So what do you do when you have a 6/7 month old that has outgrown a group 0 carseat? you can't keep them in it because they haven't reached the age limit if 9 months, you have to upgrade. Preferable you would upgrade to a group 1 seat the RF's though, but it is parental choice :) And equally just because a baby hits 9mo, if they haven't reached the weight limit and still fit in the group 0 then keep them in it as long as you can.

So what do you do when you have a 6/7 month old that has outgrown a group 0 carseat? you can't keep them in it because they haven't reached the age limit if 9 months, you have to upgrade. Preferable you would upgrade to a group 1 seat the RF's though, but it is parental choice :) And equally just because a baby hits 9mo, if they haven't reached the weight limit and still fit in the group 0 then keep them in it as long as you can.

Then you fork out for a seat. :shrug: you can get combi seats that are the same price as FF seats.
Harrison is 1and not even 9kg, hes still in his infant carseat.

^^That's exactly how I ended up buying ERF seats (which were definitely pricey, but worth it). My kids' infant seat was supposed to last 35 lbs and 1 yr. Hah! They both outgrew it in shoulders and height in half that time. Yes, I have big babies. :dohh:

Then you fork out for a seat. :shrug: you can get combi seats that are the same price as FF seats.
Harrison is 1and not even 9kg, hes still in his infant carseat.

That's what I am saying!!!

So my point stands. Weight IS more important, whether lo outgrows the seat before or after the age of 9mo!!!

:dohh:

In the US the law is 1 year and 20lbs but like PP said the AAP recommends they stay RF until they are 2 now. LO is also out of her infant seat and into a convertible seat that can RF up to 40lbs.

Does anyone else get how those graco infant seats can even last up to a year? LO isn't even that big (17lbs, 26in) but she was stuffed into that seat :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->