Cat behaviour

Miss_Bump

Reaction score
My girl cat will be 3 in April and is neutered.

She constantly howls and I mean bwaahhhhhaaarr all. the. time and it's driving me mad as I had no idea why she does it!?

She mainly does it upstairs regardless of who is in the house and is someone is upstairs or not :shrug:

Her and her brother (same litter) are not allowed in the bedrooms and have a bed upstairs on the landing and happily sleep there.

It's totally random when she does it.

She has food in her bowl she get loads of attention etc so im stumped?

Every so often she will get a thump from Evie and sometimes her brother stays out all day and will come strolling in about 10pm

Suggestions?

Is there something up there she has a particular attachment to? Or like a safe area? My cat has a fixed toy that she is very fond of and only likes to play with that. Whenever she goes near it she mewls in the way you described to get me to join in with her. Perhaps she loves being upstairs and feels that she needs extra attention while she is in her secure spot? She could also be feeling a little lonely and bored if she doesn't get much interaction from one person in particular that she is attached to.

EDIT: What (if anything) have you noticed makes the mewling stop?

I've had upstairs-yowlers. Cats are bonkers. That's all there is to it. Cats are absolute nutjobs who spend their lives doing random things with an utterly serious face :thumbup:

I've had upstairs-yowlers. Cats are bonkers. That's all there is to it. Cats are absolute nutjobs who spend their lives doing random things with an utterly serious face :thumbup:

Bit like kids realy :)

Is there something up there she has a particular attachment to? Or like a safe area? My cat has a fixed toy that she is very fond of and only likes to play with that. Whenever she goes near it she mewls in the way you described to get me to join in with her. Perhaps she loves being upstairs and feels that she needs extra attention while she is in her secure spot? She could also be feeling a little lonely and bored if she doesn't get much interaction from one person in particular that she is attached to.

She has her bed up there.

Attention from me stops the howling. I'll call her and she peeks at me thru the banisters and will either come downstairs for a cuddle or I'll go up there and fuss her BUT she knows I'm downstairs and she would have probably had lots of cuddles prior to the upstairs shouting lol

Goodness knows! Could be just craving your attention more at the moment, could be she saw a spider a while ago and still wants to get it. Could just want to find a new bed. Look out for other signs just incase shes poorly (i doubt she is) but im sure she'll just be going through a weird phase.

Goodness knows! Could be just craving your attention more at the moment, could be she saw a spider a while ago and still wants to get it. Could just want to find a new bed. Look out for other signs just incase shes poorly (i doubt she is) but im sure she'll just be going through a weird phase.

Actualy my cat does this, he sees a moth up by the light and spends thr next week screaming for it

She is a hunter actually, always brings in mice and birds and does protect me from spiders :thumbup:

Is it cat mating season? Even tho she is spayed could it still make her weird?

She is a hunter actually, always brings in mice and birds and does protect me from spiders :thumbup:

Is it cat mating season? Even tho she is spayed could it still make her weird?

I could be wrong but I dont think cats and dogs have an actualy mating season like foxs and sheep, they have their own personal cycles like humans so could mate any time of year once they come into their own season

She has her bed up there.

Attention from me stops the howling. I'll call her and she peeks at me thru the banisters and will either come downstairs for a cuddle or I'll go up there and fuss her BUT she knows I'm downstairs and she would have probably had lots of cuddles prior to the upstairs shouting lol

My cat does the same thing. I think it's a case of them being spoilt madams and wanting a bit of love in a space in the house they feel particularly comfortable in :)

Oh I nearly forgot, when Gimley used to do this he would sit in another room yowling and it actualy sounded like he was calling to oh, it was a aaaaaarrrryyylllll (hubbys names darryl) kind of noise and it became a running joke that they cat was calling him again :)

One night the cat came flying into the bedroom screaming arrrryyyyllll over and over again clearly distressed so when I got up to see to him he flew back into the living room to show us the balcony door had been blown up by a storm and everything was blowing around the living room, gimley gets freaked out by the sound of wind and is a strict indoor cat because he gets so scared so was screaming at us to get up :)

Aw Smokey, how cute! clever kitty!
Yeah cats have seasons, time of a month sort of thing - like dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->