Cats Cloth Nappy Trial!

Right well here were are final review time! Although I dont have to give the nappys back for a bit I have made my decision. So here is my final evaluation:

Bumbles - Tese were my least favorite nappies, mainly due to them being very bulky and being in a hard water area and them being quite a long loop terry Ifound them very hard and unflexible which made them come accorss as smaller than the other nappies trialed. They had a nice feature of being able to popper the front down to be a good birth to potty option, but the huge number of poppers on the nappy makes them confusing to do up in a hurry on a moving around child. Also They were very slow drying and took a good couple of days to line dry in my airing cuboard. Although I think they work out as the cheapest to buy.

Motherease One Size - For a terry nappy these were quite soft and fast drying as the terry wasnt as thick. These were also the widest between the legs, making them good for poo containment, I think they would be good for a breast feed baby for this reason, and also because althougth they are wide they are not as bulky when unpadded as the other birth to potty options. They also would make a great night time nappy as their is plenty of room for boosting. The draw back for me is that these nappies require boosting at all times once your child is more than a few months old, which makes them nat as cheap as you think, requiring a good two boosters at night and at least one during the day, which bumps up the cost of using when you think on average a booster costs £1.50. You may as well use a pocket nappy instead and save the money on buying wraps.

Bamboozles - Well these nappies are wonderfull, they are very soft to the touch and a very good fit, and also the least bulky of all the nappies, much like a disposable. You can also get these in a veriety of rainow colours, which I think is the best option, as then you can stick them in with other colours and they are less likely to show stains. As I did find (it may just be me) that they were more prone to staining than the other nappies. Also it would have been nice it they had a pocket bit to stick the tounge down and add night boosters too insetad of just trying to hold it in place whist putting on. They are the most environmentally friendly nappy in the trial as the bamboo only takes 8 weeks to grow and doesnt use the same harsh chemical sprayers that cotton has to grow. However this is somewhat balanced back out by the power needed to dry these! Like the Bumbles Ifound these take a good 2 days to dry, so would not recomend to anyone who doesnt have a dryer.

Fluffles - To be honest I cant find a bad thing to say about these nappies. They appear quite bulky but because they are so incredably soft they squish up a lot in a wrap which the terry doesnt. So behind the bamboozles I would say they are the slimist. They have a built in fleece liner, (saving more money) and making them far dryer against your babies skin. This liner also works like a pocket for sticking the tounge down inside and any night padding. A great fit and easy to use. And also were dry within 2 hours of hanging indoors, making them a lot cheaper to care for as no need for a dryer. Also these are the only ones that do not require pre washes to reach full absorbency, and will always remain soft feeling and wont be affected by hard water.

All these nappies were great though, all fit my son fine (All though I recomend everyone does a trial before buying as differnt nappies fit differnt children differently and also other babies may wet/poo differently) All nappies would happily go 4 hours for me before changing and in some cases like if he was asleep they went even longer. And all worked fine over night for a 13 our stretch with no leaks.

As for wraps, well again I cant fault any of them, they all fit fine and again I had no leaking or wicking. But I decided against getting any of the ones trialed as the aplix fastening wasnt a good idea on a todler who can undo it easily. I prefered the popper fastnings, like the motherease airflow. Although these are in boring designs, so I went for weenotions wraps as these are the same design but in funky patterns and designs, including customised ones for really funky bums.

Boosters - I tried a number of boosters, some like the mother of eden or motherease sit in were a bit rubbish as very thin. I liked the Nature babies boosters which made a great goos size/shape booster for night time use, and they have a fleece lined one to which then means you dont need to use a fleece liner too. Although if your wanting to boost a newborn nappy these are possibly a little big so the tots bots boosters were the same design but smaller in size.

Liners - Fleece liners are a great idea as they kept bum nice and dry and unline disposable liners they dont ride up between the cheeks. Although if your baby has very sticky poo I would recomend using a disposable too over the top. it was very eacy to shake solids down the loo. But if you got a really sticky one elthough you can get most of it off by holding in in the flush of the loo it was still pretty covered and then you have the job of wandering round with a pooy soaking wet dripping liner!

Disposable liners are very much a case of get what you pay for. They are very handy in that if you have just changed your child and they promptly poo, so you can remove the liner and put the nappy back on if its still dry, saving on washing. But only if you opt for the 'ultra' liners, as the standard cheap and cheerfull liners are like a sheet of bounce and really thin. The draw back the disposables have though is they do tend to rid up between the bum cheeks so dont always contain poo brilliantly. Although a bit of trial and error in putting them in the nappies can solve this.

So thats about it. As for any rumours about cloth causing nappy rash etc these are rubbish, Noah had no adverse effects of these nappies in fact mad as it seemed he seemed to enjoy them! at changing time he would stradle the nappy and pull it up between his legs which he didnt do before. If I told him he was stinky he would run to the door to go upstairs and be changed and when I put one of his funky wraps on he would run around the room squeeling and grinning stamping his feet! Like he knew how cool he looked :D

If this has interested you to look into cloth nappies yourself, I would really recomend them to anyone, they are no hassle to use at all. There are other types of nappy avaliable, like sized, prefolds and pockets, but for me Iopted for the onesize 2 piece (nappy and wrap) option as you can manage on one set without needing to buy differnt sizes as they grow, plus they dont require any folding or fidling with, so bloke friendly!

I hope this has been of some help to you! My trial is going back in the post tonight, and Ihave just placed my nappy order!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->