Cats

littlebabyboy

Reaction score
Anyone have cats and a newborn? how do u cope with the cat litter changing? freaking out about risk of toxoplasmosis.

i have two cats and as long as you wash your hand after you have cleaned it and dont let baby go any where near, it should be fine, just watch them when they start crawling

I have two cats and really it didn't cross my mind at all. I wash my hands after cleaning the litter etc (when I do it which isn't often because hubby got into the habit of cleaning it whilst I was pregnant ;).

As long as your baby isn't allergic to cats then its not a problem. Just don't keep the litter box in your LO's room (or yours if your LO will be sleeping in your room), and wash your hands after changing the box. Also make sure the cats don't get into the room your LO will be sleeping in when they are sleeping, as they could suffocate your LO (not on purpose but my cat always sleept on my head, so...)

I've got a husband :lol: He's been doing it since I was pregnant, but like the other girls said, as long as you wash your hands xx

I get my OH to do it hehe... it means it doesn't get done as often as I'd like but at least I don't have to touch it. :D

I have 5 cats and have done the litter tray all through pregnancy and now- no problem at all!

my hubby does the litter tray since i was pregnant and has carried on and it is right out of the way so is no where near where they baby will ever be.

Lou
xxx

Get some bacterial gel too - Always handy to have around the house in various places.

x

I agree with what everyone has said.....just keep the litter tray out of the way (we keep ours in an alcove in the hallway) and if you do have to change the litter tray yourself - just wash your hands after.
I think toxoplasmosis is more of a risk if passed on to an unborn baby during pregnancy than it is to babies after they are born......but it's better to be safe than sorry.

x

My eldest does it. Though tbh it's not like he uses it lately, the damn cat's getting on my tits at the moment with the worst kind of jealousy issues.

I've got four cats. We put the litter in the basement and put a kitty door into the basement door so that they could get down there. We did that so the dog wouldn't get into it and think it was a buffet though. DH has been cleaning the boxes since I'm pg again, but after Char was born I was cleaning it and just washing my hands really well afterwards

Her litter boy is now on the terrace and I clean it but wash my hands really really well before doing it.
My cat actually isn't allowed in the same room as Lola because she is insanly jelous and I'm frankly worried.

We keep our litter box in the basement; the cat knows that's where it is, etc. so we wouldn't move it now, plus it's under our laundry sink down there with a little mat in case she trails any of the litter stuff out of it. I haven't been cleaning it since I've been pregnant, my mum has.. but sounds alright to clean it once baby's out as long as you always wash your hands thoroughly (I'm sure people do this anyway when they clean up their cat poo!!)

I know my friend lived on her own for a bit while pregnant, she used those yellow gloves you use to clean dishes, but out of necessity only.

but is it from cat pee aswell or just cat poo?

I think it's just the poo but the smell of the pee is enough to make you want to hurl I think sometimes, so to be safe I think steer clear of both?

I had just got a kitten when I found out I was pregnant and we had 2 older cats too, I bought some disposable rubber gloves and always washed my hands after changing this litter.
Dry handwash is a godsend too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->