cervical length scan - stitch?

Rachb1987

Pregnant EDD 1st may
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted some advice from you ladies - im currently 11+2 weeks and went for my first appointment at the hospital a couple of days ago. I had loop excision treatment for abnormal cells 5 weeks before conceiving so they are making me have a cervical length scan to see if i need a stitch to hold the pregnancy - is this something i should be worried about?

im not usually a worrier but i lost my mum 5 weeks into my pregnancy and ive also miscarried before so every little thing seems magnified - i just want some more information/other peoples experiences on it and just seem to be getting ignored on other forums :( any advice or knowledge would be great :) xxxx

Hi, I had cervical length scans in my most recent pregnancy which led to me having a stitch put in at 23w. It worked and I carried my twins, who weighed nearly 6lb each,all the way to 36+3w. This was after loosing their brothers last year after they were born at 24w.

I didn't have any risk factors like leep procedures or anything. They think that I have an incompetent cervix as I keep having twins!!!
What they will normally do is do a scan soonish to establish a base line measurement and then keep scanning every few weeks until about 26w to see if there is any shortening. If there is then they will put a stitch in. The scans are internal so slightly uncomfy but nothing major and the stitch is usually put in under epidural.

As a very rough guide. Any length over 3cm is great, above 2.5cm but below 3cm is normalish but a bit borderline and might need more scans and below 2.5cm is when they start doing stuff like stitches etc.

It is also worth mentioning that some people, including me are also perscribed progesterone pesssaries as there is some evidence of them helping to strengthen the cervix. I think it depends on the consultant though.

There is also a MASSIVE stitch thread on this forum where there are lots of positive stitch stories.

Good Luck
Kx

Hi everyone, just wanted some advice from you ladies - im currently 11+2 weeks and went for my first appointment at the hospital a couple of days ago. I had loop excision treatment for abnormal cells 5 weeks before conceiving so they are making me have a cervical length scan to see if i need a stitch to hold the pregnancy - is this something i should be worried about?

im not usually a worrier but i lost my mum 5 weeks into my pregnancy and ive also miscarried before so every little thing seems magnified - i just want some more information/other peoples experiences on it and just seem to be getting ignored on other forums :( any advice or knowledge would be great :) xxxx

Hey sweet. Don't worry.

I had loop excision back in January and had to have regular scans on my cervix to check length... They are just looking out for you and baby.

My first length was 30mm then 2 weeks later it was 19mm. They decided to give me a modified McDonalds stitch at 20 weeks to ensure my cervix stayed closed in case it shortened even further which was just a week ago and will have scans every 2 weeks to monitor it. They do have yours and your baby's best interests at jeart!!

It is more of a preventative measure so early on in your pregnancy and a is just to ensure you don't go into labour too early.

There are plenty of lovely helpful friendly ladies on the incompetent cervix thread who i knowt would be more than happy to answer any questions you have and put your mind at ease. Please visit it and say hi. We would love to hear from u on there and lend an ear and a shoulder if ur ever feeling you need one. Xxx

Thanks so much ladies, ill have a look on the thread. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, I guess I'm just extra stressed lately, thanks for your help! :) xx

Thanks so much ladies, ill have a look on the thread. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, I guess I'm just extra stressed lately, thanks for your help! :) xx

Youll be fine. And congratulations on ur pregnancy! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"