Champagne and crumpets, my November wedding blog *We did it! Photos included*

Thank you for that, I didn't know it existed! Can I steal the idea and post an ad? Realistically I don't think we will be able to afford the band, but hopefully the vintage DJ guys will work out if not! My sister is singing before the ceremony so there will be live music there at least!

Of course my love. Put up a post and you'll get loads of responses.

It took about a day for my ad to appear. Just incase like me you get impatient and spend a whole day refreshing the page :)

The DJ sounds amazing!

xxx

I think if you describe your day and the style you like you'll definitely get a huge amount of responses. Any photographer would be mad not to jump at a chance to photograph a wedding as unique as yours :thumbup:

Glad you had a good time at the wedding fair, I think that's a bit steep to pay too!

We were the same with Aly on the photographer front, the picture are a very important thing for us, but you have to spend the money you have in what's important for you! I deffo think you'll get lots of offers if you advertise though as your wedding just sounds out of this world!

I wanted a band but we are having a DJ, I couldn't get over what bands charge, here you are looking at a minimum of £1000 for band! The DJ you put looks fab though!

The band emailed me back, they're asking £1200 for the bare minimums. So that's a no go. Gonna go ahead and book the vinyl band guys ASAP :happydance:

I put an add on Gumtree for vinyls to buy or rent for my wedding and managed to get 50 cheesy 70s and 80s pop vinyls for £20! Within about five minutes of the posting as well! Add those to my collection and that's the evening music sorted! Gonna let guests mess around and choose their own music.

So with Aly's help I've decided to have Fantastic Mr Fox playing at our mini wedding cinema. Good job too because my other entertainment option has fallen through.You know those DJs who played all the old music that I wanted? They're asking £400 plus travel and overnight accommodation. They only quoted me £350 at the wedding fair. I don't think I can afford that so having to drop that idea :(

That's not very good if they said £350 to you! Did you mention to them that you met them at the vintage fair and what they said it would cost?

That's rubbish that they changed it to £400! I'm sure they will drop it back down again once they realize they are losing out on your business

Thats not good they upped their price :( Did you mention they qouted you £350 at the Fair?

Hopefully when you tell them you will not be able to go ahead they will come back down to £350. Fingers crossed x

Wow, that jumped up a lot!! So effectively they're asking for £200ph if you're paying extra for their travel and accommodation? Blimey! Like the others have said though I'm sure you can haggle them down on the price :)

The extra £50 is okay, I could manage that if I really wanted to, but thinking about it £400 sounds a lot more than £350 doesn't it? Haha maybe just me. The fact that they want extra for travel AND the cost of accommodation is what I can't manage, because they'll want a good £00 in petrol as they drive a large van and are based in Yorkshire and then if they want a hotel that will cost a fortune. It just isn't worth it. It's fair for them to ask it, I just hadn't considered it. It's okay though cos I'm just gonna put my own vinyl player out with about 100 records and guests can choose the music themselves, makes it a much more relaxed atmosphere. Plus it doesn't matter if no one wants to dance and everyone just wants to have shisha or toast marshmallows or sit in the cinema because I won't have wasted any money on the music. My little boy is music obsessed anyway so I am building a collection of vinyls for his sake :)

I can't believe it's December tomorrow which means only 11 months til I have to have my wedding all sorted by! One thing I need to get around to doing, as it's a huge job, is making my wedding tents. I don't know if I've mentioned it but I love festival themed weddings, but obviously that isn't an option in November. Hoping therefore to have a sort of indoor festival in that huge ballroom. Going to have a few miniature tents, big enough for maybe two people to sit in, dotted about the room. I know that sounds so odd but I've been obsessing over this idea forever. I am thinking floaty materials with some linens for strength, and a mixture of quite structured tents and some that are simply material draped over rope IYKWIM? Try and picture it with an open fireplace and candles and flowers and persian rugs on the floor it makes a bit more sense. This is a bit of a mood board of ideas:

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/dashboard.jpeg

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/moroccan-rugs.jpeg

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/search-1.jpeg

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/5493690153.jpeg

I'm also toying with the idea of having our own winter cocktail as neither me nor OH are big wine or beer fans. IDK, it's obviously extra work but I quite like the idea. It'd have to be something that didn't need ice though. Oh and I know nothing about drinks :dohh:

Those tents are cute. You should use recycled material too (ie, old throws/blankets etc like the second picture. I love that)

Yikes mixology can be tough. I'm sure you can get packages where someone creates your own personalised cocktail though. Either that or I dreamed it, which means I may have just found an opening in the market :haha:

How about a big bowl of punch? Not much extra work then, you just need a big bowl and leave everyone to help themselves!

I absolutely would do that if I knew of a tasty drink that doesn't need ice or anything and that is easy to make. Me and OH so rarely drink that I'm completely clueless! White russians are my absolute favourites but they need ice don't they? And I don't know many other cocktails!

Thanks Aly, I love the second one too! So much to do :dohh: Still working on my invites at the moment, really struggling to find the time with my degree and childcare and Christmas. Having sooo much fun though, totally fantasising about being a wedding stylist haha.

Food for thought...

Everybody knows the name of their favourite cocktail. Many never give thought to how those special cocktails were created. Those drinks were created by someone at some time and now they are enjoyed by millions who are unknown to the creators of those drinks. The Tom Collins, Martini, Sangria, Sake Bomb and the Long Island Iced Tea are all in the class of rock star cocktails that have become staples at most every bar in the world.

The reality is that anyone can create their own signature cocktail; all they need is creativity and a little time for trial and error.

Here are some things one would be wise to ask themselves before attempting to come up with their own signature cocktail.

What drinks to you like?

For a person who wants to come up with their own signature cocktail, while they want it to be unique, they can still look for inspiration. The best information will come from recalling what drinks they actually enjoy and figuring out why.

Have you chosen a base spirit?

The base spirit is an important selection because it is the driving force behind the rest of the drink. It is important to make sure that anything added to the base spirit is a complementing flavour. There is a reason why orange juice is often seen mixed with champagne rather than cognac.

Is it for a specific event?

If the cocktail is for a themed party, the drink should fit the theme. For example, choosing a base spirit for a cocktail like Russian vodka might not be the best idea for a Mexican fiesta themed party.

What type of glass will you serve it in?

Of course, once you come up with the drink, you need to then figure out what type of glass would be best to present the drink in. Yes, this is one of the cases where presentation means everything. No one will have near as much fun drinking your new blueberry-pear martini out of a beer mug as they would out of chilled martini glass.

Can you be imaginative?

Sure, there are some guidelines that have been presented to help a person come up with a signature cocktail they'll enjoy serving to their friends for years to come; but that doesn't mean one shouldn't stretch their imaginative legs in creating their new cocktail. By all means, try out things that people wouldn't ordinarily think of and who knows, it might turn out to be the best idea.

The key thing to remember when creating a signature cocktail is to let who you are shine through; let the drink somehow be a reflection of you. When they drink it, hopefully, they will learn something new about the creator of the cocktail. Perhaps they will be so inspired by the new combination of flavours that have been introduced to them, they'll want to go home and create a signature cocktail of their own.

Thank you lovely :flower: To be honest I can't even think of a spirit I like on it's own. Think I'll just save time and money and serve wine, beer and lemonade. Gonna be catering myself so I'll have loads to do.

Rory is spending the night with the in laws so have been making my invites! They are literary themed. I am doing an outer cover with smaller 'books' inside. Each book has a different theme and look but will go with the others as if they're a collection. I haven't written the standard invitation either, I've gone with a sort of post-modernism style and written bits as if it's a novel or a poem. I need to go shopping for the paper (not sure if I want plain cream coloured card or a colour?!) and make the insides but I've done this for tonight. Does it look okay?

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/Invitex.jpeg

Oh and this is what I'm going to do the actual layout like, with tiny books inside of it.

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/135530270005666026_27cvQnRH.jpeg

They're gonna be tiny, like matchbox sized, not as big as the image.

Found some antique bath tubs on Ebay! Hopefully I'll manage to get one of them quite cheaply but just gonna have to wait the auction out! Here are some that I'm watching on there.

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/-2.jpeg

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/4ecade258f.jpeg

https://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/tomcantgetitup/-1-1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back