Chances of Twins at 42?

S

Serenjay

Hi all I am 6 weeks pregnant and have a scan due in the morning..

People keep making jokes about twins.. seriously what are the chances?

I am 42 OH 40 I have 3 grown up kids... 2nd pregnancy I bled a lot at 6 weeks they said I lost baby as they saw it..but I asked for a scan before the DnC and they round my 2nd daughter..so i was on bed rest till 17 weeks.. I then had a son a few years later..

as I am now older.. and my nan was a twin... my cousin has a twin and and twins in OH family.. what are the chances? xxx

Thanks in Advance

So OH has no input twin-wise.
If the twins on your side of the family are identical, then that is purely chance and is not hereditary at all. If they are fraternal, then you may be more likely to hyper-ovulate and release more than one egg at a time (which can then result in twins). I know that being a fraternal twin myself, I had a 1 in 17 chance of having fraternal twins.

Your age definitely gives you more of a chance of having fraternal twins, as you get older your body begins to release more eggs at a time as you approaching the end of your child-bearing years. I know that women over 50 have a 1 in 9 chance of their pregnancies being twins. You obviously are not that old :haha: but you are over 40 so there is a very high chance of you having twins!

Good luck, I hope it works out whichever way you are hoping for x
:flower:

Hi, I heard twins run in the mothers side of the family and skip a generation. Also only in the case of non identicals. Identicals are fluke (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I did read though it's common to have twins over 40. My own friend had twins naturally (no apmedical assistance) in her early 40s...

Im having twins, no twins in the family. This is my 5th pregnancy, my last was an angel baby, I did a little research and the more babies you have the higher the chance.

So could be a chance, but much higher chance of having a single baby. Hope the scan goes well x

Yes, I think you have a much higher than average chance of having twins. As PPs have said it increases with age as you are more likely to ovulate more than one egg per cycle, plus if you have twins on your mothers side then this hyperovulation is an inherited trait that could mean you are even more likely to have twins. Yes, the more babies you have then the chances increase too!

Have you heard of twins insurance? Might be worth looking into in your case.

Good luck.

BTW, I didn´t understand your original post when you said ´so i was on bed rest till 17 weeks.. I then had a son a few days later..´ A few days after 17 weeks?

Your age is the biggest factor here. That makes you alot more likely! Twins the fathers side have no input. Neither do identical twins as they are a fluke. Having close twin relatives does raise your chances though.

Other factors

Weight; being overweight increases your odds
Race; Black women have the highest rate of twin births
Height; Being taller than average

Thanks all

Just had my scan.. 1 healthy baby measuring 6+2 6mm heart beating away... I go back in 2 weeks to make sure all is still going well.. thanks for the info xx

Sorry meant YEARS not days lol xx

Brilliant news, congratulations. Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months x

Thank you.. I have 3 grown up kids from previous... but myself and OH have lost 7 in 16 months... we never got this far.. this is the furthest we have got.. so I am hoping this is the one xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->