Changing contraceptive - advice

hulahoop09

Mum to lg and pg #2
Reaction score
Hiya

Okay so up til when I got pregnant last year I had been using ovranette (combined pill) for almost 9 years. I then had lo and started back on the pill in november last year I think it was. I used to be really good at taking it but have had days where I have forgot to take it for a day or so :dohh: My sex drive is RUBBISH so we dont DTD much anyway :haha: so I havent been at risk of pregnancy. Anyway. I was considering changing to the Depo injection. Like the pill I see the pros and cons. I have suffered from depression anyway and have low libido so dont see it could make those much worse :haha: but also see it can cause weight gain (as can the pill) and this for me is one of the worries as since having lo I have not only lost the 16lbs I gained I have also lost another 13lbs! :happydance: I was just wondering if I havent put weight on with the combined pill what are the chances I will with this. Also worried about risk of pregnancy although doctor said the % of protection is as good as the pill. Also worried about having a continuous period although since having lo my periods have been heavy, painful and terrible moods and doctor said it could help these symptoms.

So ladies would you recommend a change?

xx

Have you considered the implant rather than the injection? The only reason I'd avoid the injection is if you do get side effects you have to wait for the injection to wear off, with the implant you can take it out and be back to normal quicker.

I have considered the implant but the thought of it maled me feel sick! Lol. Doctor mentioned coil but I have had problems with my cervix and had to have cells removed etc and so dont want to mess. Lol. Forgot to say I did go on the mini pill after having lo but got headaches but seems they were related to my hormones or vitamin d deficiency as I have had them again over the past couple of weeks. Xx

I have Paragard IUD and I love it! I was terrible at taking the pill (lo is evidence of that)! It took a couple months of getting used to it and now I can't even tell it's there. I love not having to worry about taking the pill or worry every month if I may be pregnant! Also it has no hormones in it so there are no sexual or other side effects!

If i hadnt had issues with my cervix it MAY have been an option. Lol. Xx

i dont no what to suggest but im in the same sort of boat as you i was on the combined pill before DD1 and DD2 been put on the mini pill cerazette before my implant which is booked this month but the cerazette is meant to be the same sort of thing as the implant so got told if you get on with it the implant will be the same but for the 10 days ive been taking it ive been constantly bleeding which is getting heavier each day so im clueless now lol

some of my friends are on the injection and 1 has irregular bleeding 1 put on weight and had really bad PMT all the time lol and the other has no side effects so i think its all trial and error

im looking at the coil now as i dont want to be controlled by hormones all the time lol

Lol. So confusing isnt it! I have no choice but to use some sort of hormone contrceptive which is a nightmare! Xx

Lol. So confusing isnt it! I have no choice but to use some sort of hormone contrceptive which is a nightmare! Xx

i no its horriable those 4 weeks i wasnt on anything i felt great and had my sex drive back but i dont trust myself on just using condoms lol

Lol. I hate them and hubby cant wear them either. bloody nightmare. I love being pregnant but cant afford another lo yet and have a hol abroad booked for nxt yr! :D

i dont no what to suggest but im in the same sort of boat as you i was on the combined pill before DD1 and DD2 been put on the mini pill cerazette before my implant which is booked this month but the cerazette is meant to be the same sort of thing as the implant so got told if you get on with it the implant will be the same but for the 10 days ive been taking it ive been constantly bleeding which is getting heavier each day so im clueless now lol

some of my friends are on the injection and 1 has irregular bleeding 1 put on weight and had really bad PMT all the time lol and the other has no side effects so i think its all trial and error

im looking at the coil now as i dont want to be controlled by hormones all the time lol

I HATE cerazette. Been on it 5 months,constant bleeding,staining,feel drained all the time.am booked for the coil next fri.

My best friend has the injection, and put on weight quite badly. Every time she goes in to have it redone they say she's put on weight. Also, I had the implant last year and would NEVER recommend it. The fitting/removal and the actual implant were fine, but the bleeding was horrendous. I didn't have a period after the breakthrough bleeding, until a few months later, when I bled irregularly for weeks, then constantly for 8 weeks until I had it removed. The hormones made me swollen down there as well. Like postpartum swollen :|

I'm thinking about asking for the coil at my 6 week appointment.

Oh gosh thats terrible!! Maybe I should just stay on the pill! Lol. I do worry about it increasing risk of breast cancer but I think it is minimal yet it reduces risk of I think cervical and ovarian??? I would love to be on nothing but cant risk possibly getting pregnant at the moment! Lol.

xx

Oh gosh thats terrible!! Maybe I should just stay on the pill! Lol. I do worry about it increasing risk of breast cancer but I think it is minimal yet it reduces risk of I think cervical and ovarian??? I would love to be on nothing but cant risk possibly getting pregnant at the moment! Lol.

xx

I'm kind of debating the mini-pill vs coil. OH doesn't like the thought of a coil, and I really don't think I'll remember a pill. Especially with a new baby! As for increasing risks etc, I don't really bother thinking about it because if it was a particular danger, they wouldn't still be on the market. May be stupid, but that's what I think anyway! x

I would not recommend the depo simply because it can be difficult to get a normal period back once you stop it. Some have gone as long as a year without a period which definitely isn't good if you're wanting to TTC.

Personally, I'd recommend the Nuvaring, it works the same way as a combination pill only you insert it in your vagina, leave it there for 3 weeks, and then you remove it for one week for the period. Really simple.

I have read it can take a while for the depo to come out your system which would be taken into consideration when planning ttc. I do know people who have waited like 6 months to get a peruod after the pill. I was lucky in that I had ny withdrawl bleed then 29 days later ny period started then I got pregnant. I guess they are all different. I am not keen in anything that has to be inserted into that area like pessaries etc due to issues I have had with my cervix. So glad these diff things work just figuring out whats best! Lol. I mat wait for a year as I dont want to swap then get pregnant with a holiday alreadt booked. Lol. Xx

Im in the same boat i can only take progesterone only contraception as i suffer with migraines with aura and so far ive tried 3 diff pills and hated them all :( they have mad me feel rubbish feel really low bad anxiety constantly in a crap foul mood and the only other options i have are the implant or the injection or the coild dont really want implant or the depo as ive heard nothing but bad stuff about theses from family and friends but im scared to have the coil done im such a wimp!!!!! I stopped takin the mini pill 4 days ago and cant believe how much my moods have lifted im stuck now though :(

Hi sorry to interrupt. Wondering if anyone could help me out. I am on Birth control...yasminelle....started in May everything has gone smoothly last few months. However on my pack that started last month after taking all 21 pills rather than taking a 7 day gap (I was going away with boyfriend when period would have been due) I continued into the next pack BUT I stopped after 9/10 pills in this pack. I now know I should not have stopped and should have finished pack 2 skipping my period altogether. I just stupidly was not thinking. Anyway I stopped (after 32 pills opposed to 21) on Thursday and it is now Sunday. What I want to know now is what i should do. I am assuming I have completely messed up my cycle and wont get a period this month? But I have no idea what I should do to get my cycle back on track as in Should I start a new pack now and will I get my period at the end of that pack? I hope this makes sense and I hope someone can help me out! Thanks!

Don't get Depo...I had it once and I just recently got off it and I had to go to the ER because my body was rejecting it. It was 3 months of horror....I wouldn't recommend to anybody...Its bad for you and it can make you sterile...Fortunately for me, I got my period each month...But, since I got off it, I just missed my period...And I have never missed a period...I'm actually a week late today...I have taken two tests already last week and they were both faint positives...I'm waiting till Saturday to take two more to see if I'm pregnant...In my opinion I would just stay away from depo...Its not good for you.....period...

Makes you sterile?! Would they give something that could do that to you. Thats terrible!

Anon22, of i were you i would check with doc what to do next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->