Changing Doctors...Grr.

nibog

Reaction score
I was stuck in a very stressful situation. Excuse the vent that is about to happen but this is not what I expected to experience for my first pregnancy....

I was not pleased with my original OBGyn...at first I thought I was just being overly sensitive because, well hello - HORMONAL! but after talking to family and friends they are shocked I hadn't jumped ship yet...
Would love to get your input as you ladies are in the same boat with me and can obviously compare your own instances.

I am 5feet 4, nearly 5 inches. I got down to 173lbs right before getting pregnant (have been trying like hell to lose weight since April 2014 - my doctor told me I had to lose a significant amount before she would assist us getting pregnant because I was not at an ideal weight). I agree.
We started trying in May 2012 but I have always been heavier.

Since April 4, 2014 (the day I SERIOUSLY started dieting) to March 8th 2015 (day I found out I was expecting), I had lost 93#. My BMI was down to 28.9 - still considered overweight but definitely not unhealthy or obese.

When I went for my first pre-natal appointment on April 21, my Dr pretty much scolded me for getting pregnant while still being heavier. She told me that I should have tried to lose 20-25 more pounds before getting pregnant for the health and sake of the baby. She said that since I am pregnant now I am considered High Risk and will have to be extra careful not to gain weight - she wanted to see me gain at most 10lbs for the whole pregnancy. She listed me as "Obese - High Risk" on all my paperwork even though my BMI is not categorized as Obese. I have been fairly active (I walk 3-5 miles most days and do 90 minute yoga classes weekly, never mind using my stationary pedals at my desk every day at work and doing stretches, lunges, squats and push ups...) but I am also just a naturally curvier lady (large hips and bum and a decent bust - Thanks Mom!).

She also ordered extra tests to prescreen me for Gestational Diabetes because, again, I didn't wait until I lost more weight.
During the ultrasound, it heartbeat was clearly visible (I was 9w6days), but she wouldn't give me the rate (wasn't "relative to the exam at this point") and wouldn't let me hear it. The machine kept flashing "low battery" and because of the battery the date resetto April 1, 1997 and she wouldn't fix it because she "didn't have the time because another appointment" was following mine.
So my first ultrasound picture shows as April 1 1997 - I was 9 years old at the time lol....
https://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/Baby/Baby%20042115original.png

Early Thursday the 23rd, I saw my bloodwork results posted in the new online portal they have started to use for their patients. I called Thursday afternoon to review them and was told my Dr was with a patient but would call me by end of day. I didn't hear from her Thursday, Friday, Saturday (she works Saturdays at the office) OR Monday. Every time I called I was told she was with a patient and would call back before the end of the day.

So after discussing my experience with my husband (who had been present at my first appointment but hadn't said anything for fear of upsetting me - again, this is our first time experiencing this and not sure what to expect) I started the hunt for a new Dr because I would rather have someone supportive and enthusiastic about my pregnancy....not demeaning and negative and basically just treating me like I am filling a time slot and a great excuse to bill my Health Insurance for extra tests....
I have an appointment in two days now with a new doctor (my mother goes to him and absolutely adores him - he just moved his office into my home town which is also a perk!). When I called and was speaking to the receptionist he overheard the conversation and came right on the line to talk with me.

Thank you for letting me vent! I feel like I needed it -

BTW, this is me a few weeks after getting pregnant - definitely don't think I qualify as obese! lol sorry if that sounds vain but I worked darn hard to get to this point.
https://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jmgobin521/11057614_10100304081615329_8554362681875118873_n.jpg

That's awful! You look great - well done on losing all that weight! Your bmi is a little lower than mine and mine has never been mentioned as an issue at all. Definitely making the right decision to find someone new. I hope they treat you properly x

I'm sorry you've had such a terrible experience! I definitely think you made the right choice finding another doctor. I've been through a lot in the past few months to find one I felt really comfortable with. I hope the new guy works out :) And you look great, don't let her get you down. ;)

Scuse the f bomb but what a fucking bitch, I'm obese and I've never been treated by that I'm disgusted! You look healthy!

Scuse the f bomb but what a fucking bitch, I'm obese and I've never been treated by that I'm disgusted! You look healthy!

Thank you! and I have to say....your kids in your signature are adorable!

That was appalling of her, you are good to be rid of her. You look very healthy and in my eyes classify as 'average' not even 'large'.

Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy

Awesome job on the weight loss, you look great! You definitely made the right choice, anyone who is overweight when they get pregnant is well aware of it and we beat ourselves up enough about it on our own, an ob should at the most mention risks you might have but certainly not scold you or treat you the way she's been treating you! Whether or not she's an OB, you're still a paying customer and she's offering a service, if she thinks she's above that then she's wouldn't be getting my business!

Yeah I am 5'4 and I weigh 169lb. (I know because I went in for an appointment today) I would switch OB's too if that happened to me. GL!! :hugs:

You look fab Hun. Your old doctor sounds like an ASS! So glad you decided to switch doctors. Definitely not hormones making you feel bad towards her :thumbup:

You definitely made the right decision! I hope you are super happy with your new doc. You look great and as long as you are doing what you think is best for the baby, you'll be just fine! I wouldn't consider you high risk based on your weight. That seems pretty ridiculous. GL! I know you'll have a happy and healthy pregnancy

Wow. That is awful. My BMI was over 30 for my first pregnancy, so technically obese, and nothing was ever said to me!

Definitely hope your new doctor has a much better personality!

Obese? Is she kidding??? a lot of docs are like that they jotted down my friend as obese when she was just muscle and me as underweight almost below underweight...when I'm just naturally tiny..I hate that....they're just go by the books

First you look fabulous. Second, if she treats you as unhealthy and obese - she has a major problem (never mind that she should not treat anybody like that, regardless of weight!). The pic you got of your baby is supercute however - congrats on your pregnancy!

What a miserable human being! I'm glad you're changing docs. This is a special event and you don't need someone raining on your parade.

You look fantastic! Maybe she was looking at you via a reflection in a spoon because you are not obese x

Just wanted to update that we are very happy with the new Dr! I was a little nervous as I have never had a male Dr for this area before but he was wonderful!

Got to hear the heartbeat....140bpm.

As far as my weight goes, he said to eat when I am hungry, keep it healthy, and that I can ignore people saying "even when YOU aren't hungry the baby is!". Pretty much that obviously I have learned how to eat healthy considering my weight loss and to just keep doing what I am doing.

We had the Panorama / DNAFirst test done also - its being offered free through his office in conjuncture with the nearby Women and Infants hospital. They are trying to find genetic DNA markers as far as lineage/heritage goes so it was "fill out a few forms of your genetic back ground, blood from mom, swab from dad's cheek" and presto - free DNA testing that will look for Downs syndrome, other chromosomal abnormalities and will also give gender... I should have the results back in a week or so :happydance:

Omg! Sorry for the terrible experience

I think u look absolutely fab:)

xxx

Is she mad bmi is not exactly spot on in any case just a rough guide and yours is fine, she had no right to speak to you like that, dont see her again and if they ask why you won't see her tell them they can kiss yourarse the woman is a pig!

Definitely glad I switched!!!

New OBgyn sent me for a throat ultrasound after feeling that one of my thyroids felt huge and irregularly shaped.
(I had noticed it was swollen a couple weeks earlier but thought my throat was just irritated because I was having really bad morning sickness and was throwing up 3-4 times a day). My old OBgyn said it felt normal to her and she wasn't concerned.

My new Obgryn was able to get me in this past Saturday for a throat ultrasound and just called me with the results. I have several clusters of cysts on my left thyroid (blood work on thyroid functions/values came back normal).

So now I have an appoint on June 2nd with another dr for a more in depth exam and possible biopsies.
The whole thing just has me nervous and stressed...I hate the "what ifs" that are now playing through my mind...Plus the idea of biopsying something in my throat is just creeping me out...and I am stuck in an emotional/hormonal tailspin.

Trying to stay relaxed and calm so I stay in a better disposition for the baby but it is hard when I am not sure what the exam is going to result in....

Quite irritated that what my first Dr shrugged off could end up being something that required more attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->