Charting for a beginner!!

lauraloo24

Reaction score
Hi ladies :) Just took my last pill yesterday and will be letting my body get back to normal for the next few months before TTC in the new year.
I have been on BCP for 7 years now and this will be our first child so I was thinking about starting charting to get an idea of my cycle.
Just looking for some tips really on how to start? I've read about taking your temperature first thing in the morning, also about OPK's to determine when I'm ovulating. Any OPK's you would recommend? And anything else I should be doing? xx

taking note of your mucus - theres info online but basically strechy egg-white like mucus is the most fertile time and you can plot your secretions (bit gross sorry)

Haha, yes I had heard about that but I was trying to avoid that one! See how desperate I get first haha x

I know nothing so will stalk this thread with interest! x

I've heard there are some fertility tracking apps as well - anyone recommend any good ones? xx

Just so you know, I've always been pretty grossed out by checking CM as well, but as it turns out, whenever I get EWCM, it's noticeable without having to, uh... "go looking." If you have a rough idea of when you might ovulate (for instance, if you have a 30 day cycle, try assuming you O between CD 13 and CD 19 since the textbook luteal phase is 14 days) and just make a mental note of it when you wipe or if you have any fluid on your undies.

I bought some Wondfo test strips off ebay, it was $2 for every 10 tests. I didn't want to go out any buy super expensive tests when I am just using them to learn about my cycle - I'll do that if I end up having trouble conceiving and need to really pin point it! For now though, at 20 cents a whack, I can tests often without feeling like I am being ridiculous or anything. Here's the link to the ones I bought - it looks like they're up to $3/10 tests, but still a really good deal! Wondfos!

I started using OvuFriend - I saw some girls in Not trying, Not Preventing board using it. Apparently, if you're tracking your basal body temp - using a specific BBT thermometer is better because it goes to the second decimal place. Take it first thing in the morning before you get out of bed - so leave it on your nightstand or under your pillow.
I agree with Amalee that you don't have to be a genesis to notice the egg-white secretions. I bet once you're off the pill for a couple of months that you're body will revert back to 'normal'.
I'll just started charting so I'm a complete newbie! Best of luck :)

I have been charting for a while. I use fertility friend. I know the first month I was off birth control my cycle was really weird, but after that first month it's been fine.

Honestly I think the fertility awareness method is amazing. Our bodies are pretty incredible at what they do to prepare for conception - checking for cervical fluid doesn't gross me out -its a perfectly normal and fascinating human function and really accurate when paired with temp charting.

It's important to get a thermometer that is specifically designed to read your basal body temperature (bbt) though :)

Thanks everyone for your replies! Amalee, good to know I wasnt alone in being grossed out by CM (well not by the CM itself but by rooting around for it or playing with it between my fingers etc!) but you're probably right, i've been on the pill so long i've forgotten what my body was like before hand and i will probably notice the change when I wipe etc.

I have just purchased these off ebay to get me started.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BASAL-TH...ternity_Pregnancy_MJ&var=&hash=item20b06285dd

And i have also downloaded fertility friend on my ipad. Now just to wait for a "real" period to arrive and let the charting begin! xx

I use fertility friend and I found it to be more accurate than the other ones out there. I used it for TTCing with dd and I am just using it now to keep track of my cycles. I would suggest using OPKs too the can really help you pinpoint when you ovulated. I use wondfo ones that I bought off of amazon.

i signed up to fertility friend but dont use it as i havent had a period for years due to bcp, however they have emailed me 20 lessons on how to figure out your fertile time so its worth signing up to it just for that, its really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->