Cheap/free ideas for the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauren25

Reaction score
Money is tight this year and we would rather spend our money on the kids so they still have a nice pile each to open!

So I'm trying to think of there is anything I could make or do for the rest of the family to keep costs down?

Problem is, a lot of homemade stuff can end up quite costly just for equipment/ingredients. I made chutneys a couple of years ago and by the time I'd bought all the ingredients I'd spent quite a bit, though it went quite a long way I suppose. Baskets etc for homemade hampers are normally a few quid each too, just for the basket, though I managed to find some gift boxes and the bases to old Ferrerro Rocher boxes that could be repurposed with the addition of some pretty tissue paper.

Gingerbread men/stars/trees? Or shortbread?

Are you close enough to the people you want to buy for to tell them money is tight? Perhaps you could all agree to a Secret Santa or a £5 budget per person limit or something? The other thing can be to ask if there's a task you can do for them as a gift, IYSWIM. I once asked someone to sort out finding an artist and some inspiration for a picture I wanted drawn. This year I'd quite like someone to figure out how the hell to fix my car radio - I'll pay, I just want someone to sort it all out for me. That might be a nice sort of gift if anyone you need to get a present for is the Time Poor type.

I suppose thinking about it the other way, is how to make sure the kids still have a nice pile to open without spending as much to free up a bit for other people? My parents always spent not much on us, but we always had piles to open. Partly it was by wrapping things separately that might otherwise have been wrapped together, partly by buying things for Christmas that were really just necessities, like PJs and stationery. The other thing they often did if we had one expensive present so fewer things to open was to set up a treasure hunt with clues - the year we got mobile phones (and very little else) was really memorable because of the cool treasure hunt.

Those photo calendars are super cheap, especially if you bulk buy.

What about getting some cheap canvases and getting the children to do some paintings, you can pic them up so cheap, I would love this

You could make jam by going out now and foraging for blackberries, saving jars you're using at the mo (jars from pasta sauce or whatever, run through the dishwasher). You could make biscuits or salt dough ornaments with the kids and give those. If you felt comfortable (and had the time!) you could give gifts of your time and skills- 3 hours cleaning, an hour of gardening, a night of babysitting, that sort of thing?

I think the biscuits or salt dough ornaments is a great idea. The ingredients wouldn't cost much and you could get cellophane or papers bags off amazon or ebay for like £1 ish for 12 or so. A little bit of ribbon at the top and the would look amazing.

Or keep an eye on the bargain thread as last year there were snapfish codes that got you photo mugs for under £3, and these were very well received by everyone I gave one too.

Also there are often codes for free photobooks where you just pay postage, so £3.99 cost but you have a lovely personalised gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"