Cheapest supermarket?

Bittersweet

Complete(Boy/Girl)after losses and premature birth
Reaction score
Which is the cheapest? It's just me and oh that I shop for usually at Tesco but always seems so expensive.

Recently noticed morrisons have dropped their prices, are they cheaper than Tesco now? I know there's Asda, but again doesn't always seem cheaper. Lidil is an option but the fuel costs would outweigh the savings.

Any other ideas are great too!

i usually so my shopping all over the place. bits from tesco & morrisons (they are next to each other) and bits from aldi (within walking distance of the flat). i dont bother with asda & sainsburys as the petrol & parkings costs use up what ive saved on the shopping so is pointless xx

I live next to Tesco but both asda and morrisons are about 10/15 min drive (free parking). Tesco just seems so expensive recently

I'm trying to suss out the cheapest too, we've been used to going to sainsburys a lot because it's the nearest for us but the prices are creeping up. I know Asda are cheap on some things but I do think all the supermarkets have their certain low priced items to draw you in. I'm going to try getting more stuff from Aldi too since it's close.

One thing to watch out for - the smaller versions of supermarkets like Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local etc, do not have the same prices as the bigger stores. Things like milk are often the same but then other food might be significantly more expensive in the small shop than the identical item in the big shop. People don't expect this as it's a chain but beware!

I'm trying to suss out the cheapest too, we've been used to going to sainsburys a lot because it's the nearest for us but the prices are creeping up. I know Asda are cheap on some things but I do think all the supermarkets have their certain low priced items to draw you in. I'm going to try getting more stuff from Aldi too since it's close.

One thing to watch out for - the smaller versions of supermarkets like Tesco Metro, Sainsburys Local etc, do not have the same prices as the bigger stores. Things like milk are often the same but then other food might be significantly more expensive in the small shop than the identical item in the big shop. People don't expect this as it's a chain but beware!

my ex used to get caught out with that all the time, the express shops bread was like 25p more expensive! and their chocolate was more! :dohh: x

We shop at lidl and I have saved about £25.00 a week from morrisons where I used to shop.

Tesco is the most expensive IMO!

Aldi is cheap and Asda is also great value.

I mostly use Tesco because it's convenient for me and I like the clubcard vouchers and points :lol: Tesco give you a voucher if your shopping could of been cheaper elsewhere, not sure I always believe it though.

I'm in Ireland so not really relevant, but here Aldi is by far the cheapest. And Lidl is good too, but Aldi is our fave.

I use Tesco because we have a clubcard credit card so like to rack up the points, although we were using sainsburys recently and I really like their own brand so could do quite a cheap shop there. None of the others are close to us really and Asda are awful for home delivery here I find so haven't bothered with them much.

Tesco have just started doing home delivery slots for £1 I find online shopping is best for me to keep costs down, not sure how much cheaper than the others they are but tbh I imagine it depends on what you buy and I doubt there's a massive difference between the big ones, our aldi and lidl are a pain to get to and I hate how I can't do a whole shop.

I go to sainsburys for their 3 for £10 meat though.

I can't shop in aldi or lidil. I just find the shops hard to navigate in my mind it's like primark for food.

I use a mix as I pick up the different special offers everywhere but love tescos for the points, I tiled my bathroom for free last year on my points, and ocardo for the planning aspect.

I don't truly consider the price of individual items when i do my shopping. I shop in Waitrose and limit my spend to around £80 per week. I do know however that if i buy the equivalent items all in one shop in either Tesco or Sainsburys that i spend more. I also find that if i go to either of those i end up spending more too because i get sucked into their offers.

My sil used to shop in sainsburys and has recently gone to buying from aldi and lidl as it's much cheaper. As a PP said though - i don't find it easy shopping in either of those places.

If you really want to get your things cheaper then you really need to be using a butchers and greengrocers - our two local ones are much cheaper but i find that i don't have to the time to do a supermarket shop, a butchers shop and a greengrocers (2 out of the three are in one direction and the other is totally opposite direction).

Lidl and Aldi are significantly cheaper than the big four. Then it's Asda < Tesco < Morrisons < Sainsburys, but of course it does vary over time and depending on what you buy. I'm trying to use Lidl more because a shop there generally costs me half to two thirds of what I would spend in another supermarket.

We switched from asda to aldi a few months ago and haven't looked back!
We do a monthly shop for the 2 of us, used to cost £150 - £180 and then little shops in tesco to top up milk bread, etc (and always end up buying extra things we dont need) so about another £10 a week.
Now we shop in aldi, it costs us £100 a month, and we have our milk delivered by the milkman (yes more expensive, but I'm not stopping in tesco for it so not getting extras, long run cheaper, and also helping the local economy!)

I found the quality of aldi is awesome, all the meat is British red tractor and the fruit and veg is great quality too!
It was weird getting used to the style of the shop, and there isn't as much choice for each product, but there is everything there - there's only ever been a couple of bits we couldnt get off our list.

I really can't get everything in aldi or lidl and they are not cheapest for everything particularly lidl. If you look on my supermarket you'll be able to do a comparison.
I get waitrose discount so I go there for some things but only if I'm passing.
I go to wherever I have vouchers for, I think I find morrisons cheapest but I really like the basics range at Sainsbury's. There are certain things I won't buy there though as I can get them cheaper elsewhere. I don't go to tesco as much these days as I did but I do spend my clubcard vvouchers in there.
I've been getting some bits in home bargains etc recently too.
I don't find butcher round here cheaper/better value for most things.
Xx

We shop at Aldi, we swapped about two years ago. Before that we shopped at tesco. It was extortionate. We went in a few weeks ago and got our big shop (just for convenience of being in tesco lol) and no kidding what's usually a £35 shop cost us £80 my jaw about hit the floor. I'd forgotten just how expensive tesco is. I LOVE Aldi :cloud9:

Aldi and Lidl cheapest but I can't get everything from either. I have previously done a 2 stop shop, first Aldi and then asda for everything else.... Cba to do that with a baby though, and the checkouts at aldi just infuriate me, so I drive past aldi, tesco, sainsbugs and lidl to get to asda!

Aldi and Lidl cheapest but I can't get everything from either. I have previously done a 2 stop shop, first Aldi and then asda for everything else.... Cba to do that with a baby though, and the checkouts at aldi just infuriate me, so I drive past aldi, tesco, sainsbugs and lidl to get to asda!

They used to infuriate me too......but now I get annoyed if I stand in a que at another shop for longer than 2minutes:haha:
We have a homebargains in the unit next to Aldi so we go there for shampoos etc that we can't get in Aldi....usually spend an extra £5 every couple of weeks

I don't mind Aldi, if I'm having people round I'll always go there for drinks and nibbles but I don't use it weekly or for big shops. A new one opened nearby me and although it was cheaper it just wasn't practical because I couldn't get everything from there so I was having to go elsewhere anyway to get the other bits I needed :dohh:

We shop at Morrisons and Aldi, we have discount at Morrisons and spend about the same at Morrisons as Aldi :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->