Chemical pregnancy VS false positive?

WishnandHopn

Reaction score
I should begin by saying I've never had either of these things. But I've seen so many sad stories of women so over the moon by their early BFPs only to be heartbroken when AF arrives a couple of days later.

I've also heard that the new FRER's can give false positives (which is so cruel since all we've ever heard is that ANY line no matter how light is a BFP!)

So my question for all ladies who have had a chemical pregnancy after a faint BFP: How sure are you that it was really a chemical pregnancy and not a false positive?

I'm not trying to be controversial here or make anyone angry or hurt anyone's feelings. My heart goes out to anyone who has ever experienced this, as it hurts either way.

I had what I believe was a CP last month. I asked my doctor about it and about false positives and she said the fact that I had positives for 3 days that then turned negative and I got my period makes it most likely that I was in fact pregnant, albeit briefly. I used the same test twice after AF started to see what would happen and they were both stark white. My positives showed up within a couple of minutes but I've had evaps in the past that show up hours later.

I'm really sorry you went through that Ask4Joy...were you testing with a frer?

Hoping for a sticky bean for you this month!

I'm really sorry you went through that Ask4Joy...were you testing with a frer?

Hoping for a sticky bean for you this month!

Thanks, wish. I first saw a faint on an Internet cheapie then on a generic blue dye then darker line later that day on a dollar tree test. Did dollar tree tests the next 2 days and the line was there but seemed to be getting lighter and taking longer to show up. Used an FRER the next day and it was negative and AF showed up later that evening. Tried the dollar tree tests again after AF showed and stark white.

I told my doctor they were dollar tree tests and she said they are just as good, if not better than the expensive ones!

I had a chemical too, I got positives on different tests and 1-2 on a clear blue digital then I had a spare test so I thought what the hell and did it only for it to be completely negative! I thought it was a faulty test but I started bleeding a couple of hours later :(
I think I got my first positive 2-3 days before I was due and it was negative within a week after my period was due. I got pregnant again the month after and the pregnancy felt completely different!

I was sure it was a chemical both times because first bfp I dident believe but after about 10 BFPs on different brands over 4 days I was sure , but then they started getting fainter and eventually BFN. usually false positives are rare and will happen in one test not multiple tests.

I'm going through this currently. I got a BFP on more than one test, I felt pregnant and AF was definitely late. I didn't have a blood test but my GP said if I got the two lines that's good enough to say I'm pregnant.

On Thursday I started bleeding very heavily. Far heavier than AF. My sister in law is a midwife and said I needed to see a doctor. She said I was 5 weeks. So we went in and she examined my tummy. Then I had a scan, which unsurprisingly showed nothing. Now we are waiting for the blood test results to know it's all over.

Basically the pregnancy symptoms disappeared and very heavy bleeding. Apparently you can get pain too but I just had mild cramping.

I'm sorry for all the ladies here who've been through this, my heart feels for you all :hugs:
With chemicals, as the ladies have said above, there are usually more than one positive and the period is delayed for a few days up to about a week before they'd start to think of it as an early miscarriage. I have luckily never had one but I have had false positives very often because annoyingly I seem to naturally produce low level hcg before a period >.> they're usually a one off, I have had them on frers and will now only trust strong lines and a late period haha.

But saying all that, fertilisation of eggs happens a lot more often than implantation does and if your periods a bit late with a vague line it's hard to know what happened.

Absolutely agree with the others. With a chemical pregnancy you've likely had several positive tests over a few days and period delayed by up to a week or so. For me I had various positives on FRER and a digital only for them to turn negative and my period to arrive over a week late. I was devastated.

As someone said if you get a vague can barely see it line on cheapies and have to tweak the hell out of the test pic to get it to come up and your period is on time or only a few days off its tough to say what's happening. In that type of circumstances I'd call that a 'false positive' or evaporation line. If you look hard enough at any test there's always a line to be seen, it's where the dye is supposed to attach to.

So yeh I'm in the camp that unless it's fairly obvious to the naked eye on more than one test I don't call it BFP.

Best of luck to you with TTC. Clear false positives are really quite rare i think. Best advise if you see anything on a test, keep calm, get a different type of test and retry to confirm.

i got a 1-2 on a cbd then started to mc so mine i knew x

last month:

1. i got a positive on 2 different brands on 6DPO,
2. followed by a negative on 7DPO,
3. followed by another positive on 2 different brands on 8DPO,
4. followed by a negative on 8DPO.

AF arrived (on time) and was sooooo painful, which is not normal for me.

I dont know what to think about last month. I was so confused.

I had a blood test confirm the pregnancy and the AF came a few days later

I think I had a false positive back in February however I was using a CBFM! It was positive on the Saturday with FMU and then I had cramps on the Sunday night which turned into very heavily clotted bleeding. I would have been 5 +4 on the day the bleeding started. I rang my Dr on the Monday and she said false positives are so rare especially using a CBFM as its tracking all of your cycle not just a random PG test that she was sure it was a failed pregnancy :-( I was quite upset for as while as we've been TTC#2 for 17months without success. MY DD took exactly 12mths so its very frustrating. its not helped by the fact that my normal 27-35 day cycle turned into a 57 day cycle this time with a few PG symptoms along the way! Hoping this month is my lucky month! x

Thanks for sharing your stories
...seems like chemical pregnancies are much more common than false positives. I guess it would be highly unlikely to have false positives in more than one brand of test on different days.

Mummafrog that must be so frustrating to have naturally low levels of hcg even when not pregnant! I didn't even know that was possible, I guess it must be rare?

Baby dust (and baby glue!) to all of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->