Chest infections...any experiences?

BabyJayne

Me, DH, DD & pregnant
Reaction score
Madeline is poorly. :cry:

She's never been really ill before - so I suppose we have been lucky. It's just horrible though.

She's not eaten properly since Monday, and had been under the weather Tuesday and Wednesday (sick at tea-time, off her food and had a slight cough). She seemed brighter on Thursday morning so I took her to nursery. Ended up going for her early as they rang to say she was running temps and calpol hadn't brought it down. It was nearly hitting 40, she was pale but had a blotchy rash and was shaking and her breathing was shallow. Also had dry nappies all day. It was awful.

Got straight in to see the docs and they said there was crackling in her lungs. Had antibs. He wanted to see her again Friday, and checked her over again (I love my doctor - he's awesome). He did say not to expect dramatic improvements straight away, but a slow and steady improvement over the next week or so.

Friday, she didn't move from me - wanted cuddles all day, and just lay or slept. She has slept well past couple of nights, and today she has had periods of sitting up and playing for 10/20 minutes, then flopping down or wanting cuddles, then crying, then sleeping/cuddling - and then it starts again. She's still not eating really, but I am managing to get liquids down her.

Just wondered if anyone had any experiences to share - I just want her back to normal, I hate seeing her like this :cry:

Madi is ill with every tooth she has cut. Throat and ear infections mostly but she gets horrenous temps and iv been to hospital a couple fo times with her because if this. When she is ill she is ill for days. Id say its normally a good 48 hours before the medicone starts to work then they gradually pick up. Is she eating? Madi is normally weak after a few days because she wont eat. When she starts to improve, as it sounds like Madeline is, starting to play for short periods, i give her things with sugar in to try to boost her enegry levels. Dont know how you are on the juice/water front, but i tend to give Madi a bit of juice for some energy and Ice Lollies/Poles. Also yogurt.

Keep going with the Antibiotics hun, and try Neurofen instead of Calpol.. or even Calbrofen. They work so much better i find. I hope she is better soon poor baby :flow:

Thank you!! She is actually cutting a tooth at the moment too. I could tell last week she was run down, as she always seems to get a sticky eye when she's not quite right or has a tooth coming.

She won't actually drink juice! I've been giving her water and milk, and she has had sips of these throughout the day...but had a dry nappy all day. It was wet overnight, but nothing today. She did eat some blueberries and a yoghurt, so that's more than she's had in the past few days.

Am hoping the antibs really kick in tomorrow. Calpol seems to be controlling her temp at the moment, but I need to give it every 4 hours on the dot otherwise it starts creeping up.

Thanks for the advice hun - I might give Neurofen a try. I've no idea what works best as she has never really been ill before x

My lo had a chest infection a few weeks ago. She started to perk up about 48 hours after we started the antibiotics. I also gave her nurofen and that seemed to help too

Hi hon, I'm going thru a similar thing. Sophie has such a bad cough that she was sick all over herself and her bed the other night :( the gp put her on antib's but I'm really struggling to get it down her, she goes hysterical! And now she wont even have calpol!

I got her some smoothies in individual cartons the other day and she really enjoyed them, perhaps try that if you are worried she isnt drinking/eating enough?

She seemed a bit better today - Friday and Saturday were awful though. Only thing is, despite drinking fluids she is not really having wet nappies. She doesn't seem dehydrated, and has been drinking water and milk no problem, but hardly any wee over the past day or two. And I mean hardly any. Will see what her nappy is like in the morning, but it looks like we could be back at the docs.

She ate a tiny bit today, and was playing more - so that's a good sign.

Thanks for the advice xxx

:hugs:

Its awful when they are ill!! :hugs:

Hope she's perked up a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back