chewing and choking!

AC81

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
How do you encourage babies to chew? I tried Erin with some toast and banana this morning (she's had toast before and was happy to suck on it) but she must have sucked a lump off it today and it got caught in her throat. It was only after I'd whacked her on the back that it dislodged and she spat it out.

When and how do they actually learn to chew? Is there anything I could be doing to help her?

I guess giving them more solids encourages them to chew :shrug:

I've been giving Hebe stuff like that for a while now and if she gets it stuck I try to leave her to deal with it - not easy to resist batting them though - my hubby wamted to the other day but i stopped him and she got it up.

Yesterday (with some cheese) she looked to be chewing it....I think they just start :shrug:......

I think an experienced BLW Mum might know more......

TEZZY?????

I guess giving them more solids encourages them to chew :shrug:

I've been giving Hebe stuff like that for a while now and if she gets it stuck I try to leave her to deal with it - not easy to resist batting them though - my hubby wamted to the other day but i stopped him and she got it up.

Yesterday (with some cheese) she looked to be chewing it....I think they just start :shrug:......

I think an experienced BLW Mum might know more......

TEZZY?????

I was thinking it might just be a matter of time and she'll get the hang of it - but its so hard not to panic!

It is isnt it. I wouldnt have given Emily half the things I've given Heebs.

They have an overactive gag reflex so it's very unlikely that they will actually choke - especially if you dont give them anything daft.

Just take it steady - Hebe bit off and tried to swallow a great chunk of bread tonight and she worked it out in just a few coughs. If you dont panic they wont.

x

:)

im here!!! :rofl:

ok, yes... giving them more solids does encourage them to chew, also eating food with them is great because they often look at you and copy how you eat... for example if ffion is eating carrot and i go 'num num num' exagerating the chewing movement then she thinks it is hillarious and she copies me. of course once they get the hang of it there is no need to go 'num num num' at every meal :rofl:

lisa you are right about the choking too... if you leave them to deal with it (and i know its HARD!!!) then they will learn to dislodge the food themselves. by jumping up, panicking and whacking them on the back you can scare them so much that they refuse to put more food in their mouth (trust me.. ive seen it happen)if you think that they cant dislodge the food themselves try to move quietly and calmely, patting them 5 times on the back whilst speaking in a soothing voice to keep them from panicking.

hope this helps!!!

:)

im here!!! :rofl:

ok, yes... giving them more solids does encourage them to chew, also eating food with them is great because they often look at you and copy how you eat... for example if ffion is eating carrot and i go 'num num num' exagerating the chewing movement then she thinks it is hillarious and she copies me. of course once they get the hang of it there is no need to go 'num num num' at every meal :rofl:

lisa you are right about the choking too... if you leave them to deal with it (and i know its HARD!!!) then they will learn to dislodge the food themselves. by jumping up, panicking and whacking them on the back you can scare them so much that they refuse to put more food in their mouth (trust me.. ive seen it happen)if you think that they cant dislodge the food themselves try to move quietly and calmely, patting them 5 times on the back whilst speaking in a soothing voice to keep them from panicking.

hope this helps!!!

Thank you so much for the info! I'm getting better at the not panicking and yes, you are right they can dislodge it themselves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->