chicken pox issue

oOKayOo

Reaction score
I have a party to go to on the 7th june. its my daughters friends. issue is she has just now contacted chicken pox from her school. there will be other children from that same class going too. i know its 3 weeks away but none of there family have had it including there 1 year old son and my daughter and OH havnt had it. The main concern is my newborn daughter. I said that i wasnt sure wether id go to this party as i was sure in infection can linger on the other family n kids that have been around it ?

am i doing the right thing by not going just incase my newborn gets it ? im sure 3 weeks is still quite early for someone with it to be going around other babies ??

yep I have to agree with you, some children who may be there could be at their most contagious; before the spots come out so I definitely agree I wouldnt expose a 3 week old, 3 month old or a 3 year old...who wants chicken pox.

my ds1 had chicken pox at 3 weeks was horrible :( seemingly once u hav chicken pox somethings stays in your system that lies dormant at the bottom of your spine?? anyway... he got in contact with it when he was 4 and got SHINGLES (i thought it was an old person illness :dohh: ) the doctor was shocked and said it was extremely rare for a child to get it and he couldnt give me anything because all medicines then were for 12 years + (dunno if its changed) that was the worst time ever as its all the nerve endings that effected and we couldnt even hug him to comfort him as he was in too much pain :cry: hes now 12 and still has the scars on his back and under his arm where the worst infected areas were

so i deffo say ur doin the right thing keepin LO away from it

I wouldn't take any risks if I were you! :hugs:

my ds1 had chicken pox at 3 weeks was horrible :( seemingly once u hav chicken pox somethings stays in your system that lies dormant at the bottom of your spine?? anyway... he got in contact with it when he was 4 and got SHINGLES (i thought it was an old person illness :dohh: ) the doctor was shocked and said it was extremely rare for a child to get it and he couldnt give me anything because all medicines then were for 12 years + (dunno if its changed) that was the worst time ever as its all the nerve endings that effected and we couldnt even hug him to comfort him as he was in too much pain :cry: hes now 12 and still has the scars on his back and under his arm where the worst infected areas were

so i deffo say ur doin the right thing keepin LO away from it

my brother got shingles not long ago.. he couldn't hold my baby because when they have shingles, it's basically the chickenpox virus, and if they are around someone who hasn't had chickenpox, that person can get chickenpox (instead of shingles). Does that make sense? lol.

But yeah, I think you are right. I wouldn't be going with an infant where they could be exposed to it!

Thank you for your inputs , ive told her that i wont be coming. :)

my brother got shingles not long ago.. he couldn't hold my baby because when they have shingles, it's basically the chickenpox virus, and if they are around someone who hasn't had chickenpox, that person can get chickenpox (instead of shingles). Does that make sense? lol.

But yeah, I think you are right. I wouldn't be going with an infant where they could be exposed to it!

yeah your right chicken pox you can only get once "supposadley" then if you contract chicken pox again it goes to shingles as once u have chicken pox it lies dormant at the base of your spine and can be contracted anytime you come in contact with it, and anyone that hasnt had chicken pox can get it easier from someone with shingles :dohh: confuzzling lol

Just a little tidbit of info about shingles...I got them last may on my scalp. I had them for about 4 weeks before I figured it was something bizarre (i thought it was an 'old person' thing too)...anyways, they wouldn't give me anything for it as I'd apparently "had it too long for antivirals to do any good" :blush: Whatever...he said it should be gone within 3 months and that I'd never get them again. The initial breakout on the left side of my head took about 6-7 months to go away, and then I got a new outbreak on the other side of my head and I've been getting a few places ever since...HA What do doctors know?
My grandmother has had them at least half a dozen times. :dohh: Mom said that having them actually makes you more prone to getting them again...of course, mom has no medical degree, but she seems to be more correct than the dumb doctors.

Also, as far as contracting chickenpox from someone with shingles, it's not as easy as it sounds, apparently. The person who hasn't had chickenpox (or the vaccine) must actually come into contact with the sores in order to catch it...it's not very airborne.

I wouldn't take the risk, if your child were older a whole different game. But the side effects on a baby to a toddler are two different games. I'm sure they'll understand if you do not go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->