child benifits UK girls....not good news

wanaBmummy

Have an amazing husband!
Reaction score
Hey girls i know im not a mummy but i saw this on BBC News and thought i'd let all you UK mum's to be be know.

For this year in Wales as far as i'm aware, the £190 pregnancy grant you can get and the £500 when the child is born that you can get is no longer available and there is a freeze on something else..can't remember what it was for but it might mean a loss of up to £73.

Shocking i know. Sorry its bad news but i thought if you didn't already know you'd want to.

I thought I heard here, on US news, that it was all the UK since youre in serious debt.

Yeh it's the whole UK
If baby is 25 weeks before end of last year you still get the health in pregnancy grant
and the trust fund is gone :(

Stupid Government. :(

I'm not sure i know defo wales but they may have only mentioned Wales specificly because i get the BBC Wales on my Sky. 20andpregnant seems to know more :)

Thats Discusting TBH that they taking that away! x

Thats Discusting TBH that they taking that away! x

..Why is it disgusting? The US doesn't offer anything like that. The UK is in horrendous debt because of all the benefits they give out.

You're no worse off than the US girls here are.

Sorry Didn't mean to upset you hun... just mean that they give it to all those babies for so many years then they decide they couldn't afford to do it. sorry again x

Sorry Didn't mean to upset you hun... just mean that they give it to all those babies for so many years then they decide they couldn't afford to do it. sorry again x

Not upset dear, just wanted to make sure you girls getting all those benefits is slightly ridiculous in the US girl's eyes for the most part.

You also have to take into account that we're in a world wide recession.

Totally agree with vinteenage.

I'm glad all these benefits are being cut.

Like they keep saying they are making the rich ''richer'' & the poor ''poorer''
I do personally think it's ridiculous, because they aren't solving the debt issues. Their making it a high risks of bankrupsy.
& how do they expect all these young mums to care for their self's as their babies?
The amount they received before wasn't a great deal, and now they have lowered it even more! & as for the 190 health in pregnancy grant i missed that by a DAY.. & i haven't heard about the £500 sure start grant stopping any time soon, im sure they are still handing them out.

It should not be cut, it should be income based. I really needed that money not because we don't work our arses off cause we really do! But because of the price of living where I live (London and its going up) and only getting the income we have it doesn't add up . I used it to get things most needed. We are not in debt so much because of benefits but more because of tax evasion and banks tbh benefits just come up more in the news than the greed of the rich that now has to be paid for by the poor and middle class. Sorry for the political rant its just I can't believe that 'its because if the benefits' has got over to America!!

well maby if you were in a situation where you had the smallest amount of money then you wouldnt have the same veiw.
From all your posts i read you seem to have a very snobish attitude. I will say right now that the £500 and the £190 or whetever it is really did help me, my family dont have much money and so it does help some familys that have no savings and little money coming in. Maby you could afford to buy everything but some people dont, i think you need to take that into consideration other peopes situations before posting.

I think they should have a cut off point for who should get it not completely take it away! Its totally unfair to people who genuinly wouldnt be able to afford to buy things without it.

...Not recent news at all. This has been known about for months.

That's slightly snobbish, don't ya think?

We do work our arses off. Just because America didn't offer it and the UK girls did get it for some time doesn't mean we're lazy or it's unfair at all.
I personally AND my OH worked our arses off!! But we don't get very good pay and so the £190 grant really helped us.
I think it's slightly to say how glad you are that they are being cut, as wages are currently SHITE pay and the living cost has fucking rose sky high lately. :growlmad: So £190 grant was really helpful for mums to be. :growlmad:

And it's not because of the benefit system that England is in debt, it's because the bankers were fucking greedy *******s AND because all of the legal immgrants England has taken in. NOTHING to do with benefits which MOST Americans seem to think!

If people are struggling they are ENTITLED to some help or else everyone would be on the streets. Personally the £190 maybe shouldn't be paid to those who earn over £40k ++ but those in the working class who are living on under £16,000 should be allowed the grants...! Not everyone is born with a sliver spoon shoved in their gobs.

America and England are two completely different countries with COMPLETELY different living costs!! Therefore should NOT be compared.

End of. :growlmad:

I agree with you, everyone should pay there own way.

The £500 sure start grant was a joke, no one ever offered me £500. If you get pregnant you should make sure you can support the child yourself.

I heard this a while ago too on BNB.
I got it all with my 1st but now i wont be eligible for either with my 2nd.
I wouldn't have a 2nd if i knew i couldn't afford another baby but it really did help with Aliyah and will put me back a bit now x

You were quite happy to get them for Leni. Slightly hypocritical.

The Health in Pregnancy grant was ridiculous because the healthy start vouchers are there to help people in genuine need and I fail too see how giving out £190 at past 25 weeks is encouraging people to be healthy

Personally I don't qualify for the sure start grant but I don't begrudge others having it! Having a baby is expensive and if its the only way people can afford baby essentials then it is much needed. I do however agree with it only being for the first child and I think it should be given out as vouchers for mothercare/babies'r'us

You were quite happy to get them for Leni. Slightly hypocritical.

The Health in Pregnancy grant was ridiculous because the healthy start vouchers are there to help people in genuine need and I fail too see how giving out £190 at past 25 weeks is encouraging people to be healthy

Personally I don't qualify for the sure start grant but I don't begrudge others having it! Having a baby is expensive and if its the only way people can afford baby essentials then it is much needed. I do however agree with it only being for the first child and I think it should be given out as vouchers for mothercare/babies'r'us

tbh i think they should only give it out as vouchers say 500 1st child 250 2nd, as sadly i know many people who didnt spend the £500 on the child. That way they would have to spend it on baby stuff in mothercare ect.

I agree with you, everyone should pay there own way.

The £500 sure start grant was a joke, no one ever offered me £500. If you get pregnant you should make sure you can support the child yourself.

Excuse me so what happens if someone has a happy accident and becomes pregnant even when they are being responsible? And can't completely afford everything for the LO while pregerant like I dunno an essistantal like the pram?

You gonna tell them to put it up to adoption then?

These things DO happen. Not every parent is earning over 16,000 a year. :growlmad:

I think if everyone could get it they would, nobody would say no.

Yes there are some STUIPD people who do not spend it in the baby but A LOT do. And it comes in so much helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->