Child birth interventions and their effects on breastfeeding

bky

:(
Reaction score
What you may not know about various childbirth interventions and their potential effect on breastfeeding-and some alternatives. These are all things that may warrant asking for help from a lactation consultant if you intend to breastfeed.

IV fluids

The issue with this mainly comes in the form of breast edema due to the fluids administered by IV. IV fluids are often given to counteract the low blood pressure that is a common side effect of epidurals and spinal blocks. They can also be given to administer antibiotics and medications. The IV fluids can cause fluid retention in the breasts which can impede milk engorgement, bloat breasts and flatten nipples making latching more difficult. This article by best for babes outlines a few reasons IVs could be given and some of the issues they can cause. https://www.bestforbabes.org/booby-...-cankles-want-you-to-know-about-breastfeeding

What you can do: If you are conscious and able to drink, request to drink your fluids. Express your wishes to minimize the fluid push especially after delivery. If you do require fluids be aware of the effects they can have and that time will resolve many of the effects.

The epidural

While the epidural is generally a baby and breastfeeding safe pain relief option, there are things that go along with it that can and do have effects on breastfeeding. Mainly, as outlined above, the IV. However, there are also some associated risks to breastfeeding when the epidural contains the drug fentanyl at concentrations over 150 micrograms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1595306/

What you can do: Find out what type of epidural you'll be getting and see if you can request a lower dose (less than 150 micrograms) of fentanyl.

Opiate based pain relief

These pain relief options can cause infant sleepiness, difficulty latching and suck discoordination.

What you can do: Choose a non-opiate pain relief. Entonox or TENS or even an epidural.

The C-section.

One of the ways c-sections can disorient babies is in the normal mode of birth the mother's sweat and colostrum smells like the amniotic fluid. Babies born vaginally and without trauma may do a breast crawl toward a familiar scent. With a C-section (and other medical modes of delivery) the baby is cleaned up and wrapped before being handed to the mother (if possible). The scent is not present in great enough quantities and it may be some time before the baby latches on. In addition, c-section mothers may have later onset milk production so early initial latching can be important.

What you can do: Ask for a swab to be soaked in your amniotic fluid when the doctors do the initial uterine incision. You can wear this around your neck and the baby will be better able to orient toward your breasts.

Instrumental deliveries:

Forcep and vacuum extraction are sometimes necessary yet unplanned options. They can both cause stiffness and soreness in the infant's neck which can lead to latching difficulties.

What you can do: If the infant appears in pain while trying to latch beyond the first few days you should certainly seek help. A lactation consultant, chiropractor or cranial osteopath may be of help here. In many cases though this will resolve itself given time and patience.

Blood loss

While this isn't technically an intervention it should be mentioned as it can have a large impact. A significant blood loss can be linked to a pituitary infarction which can cause the hormone cascade that triggers lactation to be interrupted. Milk production never gets started. This is supposedly rare, but I think there's a big difference between rare and under diagnosed. I've read stories from a lot of women that had traumatic, high blood loss labours, never produced milk, and certainly didn't get an MRI or investigative blood work to see what the cause was. Even if a pituitary infarction doesn't occur, a large blood loss can impact breastfeeding by way of anemia and your bodies resource management. As milk is made from blood, a shortage of blood can cause a shortage of milk. If you are producing milk it is possible to increase your supply eventually.

What you can do: If you are aware that you have lost a lot of blood, get your iron levels checked. If you are producing milk, drink fluids and eat well and it is something that will resolve itself in time.

I had a traumatic birth with first had spinal block & didnt feed baby for 4 days as she was in intensive care i didnt cuddle her at all for 2 days. I used a pump to get flow going but after my baby (whose fine now) got home i started to breast feed her and she took to it very very well she was a much better feeder than my 2nd baby whose delivery was completly natural with no pain relief she was a pain & went through phases of pulling on nipple & screaming plus when milk came in on day 3 the pain from being engourged was unbearable. For me it was the opposite x

Iv got a few more to add.

Birth injury and canular on baby. Niamh had shoulder dystocia and was left with a bruised and painfull shoulder and she was all-so given IV antibiotics after birth and had a canula in her hand on her other arm.

Breastfeeding was impossible because no matter what way i tried to feed her she was uncomfortable or in pain.

If this happens dont let your baby suffer, they can be given a one off dose of calpol but only when prescribed by a doctor.

Thanks for posting this! :flower: I learned a lot about this type of stuff in my birthing classes, but it was nice to be reminded again.

i had pethadine...was in so much pain and so exhausted so i took it- baby very sleepy post birth.
i had spinal block in theatre
i had emergency c section

i struggled to BF. He was sleepy, uninterested and i got no support. Delayed milk supply until day 5. i do put much much of my failure to BF down to his birth... mainly the emcs as i couldn't hold him or et him latched on and then the pain of the wound meant i struggled to get him to latch on.

I think skin to skin contact for at *least* an hour undisturbed after birth is very under estimated in its benefits of helping establish breastfeeding

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->