Child that doesnt play with any toys at all?!!

Get a box, fill it with some junk like magazines, pens, stamps, measuring tape, scotch tape, post-it, muslin, some fake jewellery, etc & leave it to her ;)

Or you can try a sensory box with some rice, lentils, etc with spoons & cups to fill.

Some cups & a small bottle of water to play.

If you have a toy tub give her water & some handwashing soap or lotion with plastic babies/dolls to shower & wash

this is my toddler exactly!

he will play with toys for 5 minutes though, but then hes bored, heck even im bored lol

at his preschool though, i know he plays with all their toys because its new toys hes never seen before. my LO seems to get bored of toys he sees everyday

maybe try a toy rotation

If she's just sitting there staring at the tv, then, to be quite frank, I would turn off the tv.

My LO will often get more joy out of helping with household tasks than his toys. If I get out the broom or give him the end of the vacuum cleaner he will pretend to sweep the floor for ages. He also loves a bowl or pot full of water. Put a towel down and a bowl of water with a cup and spoon and see what she does. You can add bubbles to the water too as a bit more fun.

I agree with turning the tv off. I would also cut back on the number if toys available to her to play with. Some children, if faced with a choice of more than 2 different toys, just don't know how to settle and play. My daughter was like this-she had access to a lot if toys. I cut back drastically in the advice of a medical worker because of development issues with her. Once she only had a choice of two things-maybe jigsaws or drawing-she settled and played with one of them.
Also if she's interested in what you are doing then get her to help you.

A friend of mines little boy was like this till nearly 3 but he's improved now.
A smallest selection of toys works with my own ds.
He went through a phase of not wanting to play but wanting me to do it and I basically refused and explained they are his toys to play with, I will help him or play with him but I won't play by myself.
I've always let him take the lead with his toys and games anyway.
Could you try setting her up with an activity and leaving her with it for increased lengths of time where she understands she must play independently for a few minutes building it up gradually ?
Xx

My first thought was to turn off the tv. I'm not anti-tv but it would force her to find some other entertainment.

Maybe you could put out a soft toy and one other toy and while you're feeding baby say 'I think your teddy wants to play with the xx, why don't you help him?'. See if you can't kick off some imaginative play. Or you could do a book with her while you're feeding.

Best of luck x

My lo doesn't play with toys either. I've found the only hope was to lay out one collection for him to play with. So I'd put out his cars and garage and everything else would be in another room. But to be fair just gathering a box of junk from around the house, to let him explore is good too. Some saucepans, wooden spoons and dried pasta also work for us.

Mainly we just go out for long walks in the park/woods though. Stops him whining for the TV, and wears him out.

I have one of these. At 2.4 she's just getting into toys. She spent most of her life refusing to play with toys unless I was down there playing with her. It's only recently changing, and I wonder if spending time at pre-school with other kids who are interested in toys has helped. Could you set up some play dates and see if it changes? Also, some kids see toys in random household stuff, so I do like the idea of a box filled with little things. If she likes listening to music, maybe also make a box of musical toys available so she can play along?

Agree with posters who mentioned limiting toys by doing a toy rotation. We did this before, using a totes for each week of the month. I divided all their toys between 4 totes and we only got one tote out for each week, so it wasn't everything out all at once. The hope was that they'd have renewed interest after not seeing a toy most of the month, and not having so many toys out overwhelming them. It definitely worked! I've gotten out of the habit lately, just been really busy. But I was actually just thinking about this last night, because they've been really bad about dumping the whole toy box out and not playing with the toys lately. They just dump it, play with like one toy, and then walk away. THen I have to get them to help me clean up the mess. I'd rather have a lot less out to deal with, and hopefully get them playing more again.

I'd try that and see if it helps. What about arts and crafts type things? Will she sit and color or paint? Or put together some artsy type things, like paper plate art projects, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->