• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

children age 5 still in nappies

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
https://news.sky.com/story/1250478/children-over-five-wearing-nappies-in-class

Are we doing enough for our children to prepare them for the world? Are we expecting too much from teachers?

I understand that there are some children who struggle.. But I can't imagine its as many as they are claiming?
We are lucky as ds1 toilet trained very easily and was dry day and night before he was 2 1/2. although I don't expect the same from ds2 I would find myself making sure he was confident in the day before starting school.

Frankly I think that article is a load of crap.

The figures pretty point less. So 10% pf schools habe had a child aged between 5 and 7 in nappies with no medical cause. Funny considering doctors wont really start investigating why a child cant control their bladder until they are 7 which woupd explain why there is no KNOWN medical issue.

Its very naive to think yhese kids are in nappies because their parents arent doing enough.

I refuse to believe that 99% of these kids are in pull ups due to parent's negligence or laziness.

10% of schools knows of ONE child over the age of 5 still in nappies. Well to me that doesn't seem like an overly high figure. Some children are just quite behind in some areas. Plus it isn't clear what a medical issue is defined as. I mean, probably autism if it happens to affect toilet training, and obviously certain mobility problems as well as anything directly bladder related... But how about the many kids just with learning delays? Does that count?

I think at five-seven years old children are able to understand on their own how and when to use the toilet unless there really is an underlying problem, so it cannot be that centred on the parents in a lot of cases. If a seven year old, let alone a fifteen year old, genuinely cannot understand when to go to the toilet then they must have some reason- medical or psychological- for it.

Just because there isnt a diagnosed medical condition doesnt mean there isnt one at all. My friend has a medical condition, the brain doesnt send the signial to know she needs to pee when she is asleep (or something like that), it took from five to fourteen to get that diagnose.

Also the bit about missing 25% of education. Really?? I didnt spend 25% of my life changing my newborn baby's butt, let alone a kid who wont be wiggling as much or going as often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->