Children and alcohol in their own home

TBH, I think that giving children alcohol is just another stupid, government-endorsed idea that will end up making society worse. Remember they thought 24hr licensing would curb binge drinking? Pah!

I'm not annoyed that people have a different view to me I am annoyed that you seem to be accusing me of hurting my son in some way just because I would let him try alcohol at the age of 5 if he asked. I used to come on this forum for support and advice and all I seem to be getting is abuse for having a view that not everyone agrees with.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I think you'll be hard-pushed to find support for giving 5 year olds alcohol.

I'm not annoyed that people have a different view to me I am annoyed that you seem to be accusing me of hurting my son in some way just because I would let him try alcohol at the age of 5 if he asked. I used to come on this forum for support and advice and all I seem to be getting is abuse for having a view that not everyone agrees with.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I think you'll be hard-pushed to find support for giving 5 year olds alcohol.

not really the kind of support I was on about

I'm not abusing you, I'm trying to tell you that what you plan to do can have a detrimental affect on health. 5 year old bodies, and kidneys cannot physically break down alcohol. It stays in their bloodstream for longer, and they can get ill. They also will not understand the consequences of their actions. To me, the risks outweigh any benefits. There are other ways to educate your children without introducing them to it.

As I said, it's your decision but you can't expect everyone to share the same view, then get annoyed when they don't and try to explain to you why they don't.

I don't see any positive effects to giving a 5 y/o alcohol maybe when they are 12 or older diluted, if they ask to try it when they are old enough to understand the difference, what they are being given, and the effects that it can have on them. A 5 y/o will not understand the difference between you giving them juice one day and you giving them juice with alcohol in it, or fully understand the effects that it can have on you. Also at 5 y/o they can not tell you whether they actually want it or not, as they don't have the full concept of it where as a 12 y/o or older has a better concept of what it is and the effects and can actually make some sort of decision, where as with a 5 y/o it is being forced on them as a regular glass of juice would be. This is my opinion and just as you I am entitled to it. Honestly I think it is one of the worst ideas I have heard and would be astonished to see someone do it in my presence.

i would not give me 5year old alcohol but if a day came and he asked he could have some very diluted. By the age of 12 i was getting drunk loads so depending on your area and who your children make friends with teaching at 12/13 might be to late, as someone said before there are 8 year olds getting drunk ect and even in alcohol rehab.I remember the more i was told i could not drink the more i wanted to drink because it seemed like something for adults and something that was secretly great :dohh:

i would not give me 5year old alcohol but if a day came and he asked he could have some very diluted. By the age of 12 i was getting drunk loads so depending on your area and who your children make friends with teaching at 12/13 might be to late, as someone said before there are 8 year olds getting drunk ect and even in alcohol rehab.I remember the more i was told i could not drink the more i wanted to drink because it seemed like something for adults and something that was secretly great :dohh:

about the age thing,i was also drunk at 11/12...... so that would have been too late.

I was told I wasn't allowed to drink, grew up in a home of both extremes... my mother never drank and my father was an alcoholic. I made it to 2 months before my 19th birthday before I drank at all. And yes I grew up around friends who drank and they all went out partying around the age of 13 but I knew that I wasn't allowed to and it wasn't ok for me to be out drinking. I think it all depends on the person, and their point of views towards themselves drinking or not. I however think that 5 y/o is too early to start when they don't have any real concept of it.

I'm not abusing you, I'm trying to tell you that what you plan to do can have a detrimental affect on health. 5 year old bodies, and kidneys cannot physically break down alcohol. It stays in their bloodstream for longer, and they can get ill. They also will not understand the consequences of their actions. To me, the risks outweigh any benefits. There are other ways to educate your children without introducing them to it.

As I said, it's your decision but you can't expect everyone to share the same view, then get annoyed when they don't and try to explain to you why they don't.

I find it very offensive that you make out I am mistreating my child by allowing them to have alcohol should they want to try it at age 5. I don't think a small amount in with some orange juice or lemonade will have a detrimental effect on his health. I'm sure I read once that you don't judge people without knowing them, maybe you should put that into practice before saying it in future

Re. the point about five year olds remembering -

If you drink alcohol regularly in your house and you allow your child to have a (VERY small taste to de-mystify it) then you're giving the message that alcohol isn't taboo from the start so it's less likely to be an issue later on. I think five year olds can understand cause and effect to some extent otherwise reward charts wouldn't work?

Alcohol is part of our culture and teaching children about responsibility and healthy living should start from a really early age in my opinion.

I expect Elliot will drink alcohol when he's older, I don't expect him to smoke and drugs are something that I will educate him about so that he can make an informed choice when he's MUCH older and think there's a vast difference between them in terms of our cultural values.

I'd never give him enough to make him drunk (under 18 if not older!!!). Is anyone here actually suggesting that they would?

I find it very offensive that you make out I am mistreating my child by allowing them to have alcohol should they want to try it at age 5. I don't think a small amount in with some orange juice or lemonade will have a detrimental effect on his health. I'm sure I read once that you don't judge people without knowing them, maybe you should put that into practice before saying it in future

I'm not judging you :wacko: I'm trying to explain something to you. I don't have an opinion on your parenting skills one way or the other. I don't even remember any of your old posts, and hardly know who you are on the forum. I am only commenting on this thread, on what you have posted. You are the one who's now getting personal here.

I don't understand how you think giving a child aged 5 is a positive thing, and how you don't think it will have an effect on them. You are yet to even explain that point.

All you've done is say you plan to give your 5 year old alcohol, and when people say it's not a good idea, you get angry and accuse them of abusing you. Why not try and back up your argument with coherent reasoning? Why do you think it's a good idea? Why do you think medical advice doesn't matter? How do the benefits outweigh the risks?

This might be a stupid thing to think but... if you're going to dilute it with orange juice or lemonade then why give it at all?? Can you not just give orange juice or lemonade?

Im not abusing you its purely a question

Can i just ask would anyone on here drink in front of a child?

Is that not sending a message that is ok?? I mean when im around my cousins etc (12 years younger) i drink but only because they've have been explained the effects of alcohal. But if im around a child that doesnt know the effects i feel weird about it.

Its like you see these kids that have the pretend fags because they think its 'cool'

Wouldnt it be best to educate a child from a young age on the effects of alcohal and everything else. So they grow up wiser about the world around them.

And a single taste of alcohal is enough to put a child off it anyway. Did anyone remember there 1st drink?? You didnt exactly say " wow , i love that i want to drink it everyday!?" You only drunk it cause you wanted to seem 'cool' well i know i did.

to add to my post. The reason i say educate from a younger age cause i was going out drinking at 12.

Im not saying give a 5yr old a drink but come on a taste aint going to harm them!

This might be a stupid thing to think but... if you're going to dilute it with orange juice or lemonade then why give it at all?? Can you not just give orange juice or lemonade?

Im not abusing you its purely a question

My thoughts exactly! If you have to dilute it, why give it to them in the first place? It's not like they'll taste the full effect properly, so theoretically they won't be learning a true 'appreciation' of alcohol. How is this going to be beneficial to your child? If you can substantiate your argument, I'm sure people will get off your case.

We allow 5 year olds to have chocolate don't we? Isn't that also something unnecessary that can be over done? Most people think giving foods in moderation, and teaching healthy eating from a young age is good. Why is it different for alcohol?

wtf giving babies of 5 yrs old alcohol are you mad the liver is still developing why would you want to stick what is effectively poison in it
my oldest is 11 and still not allowed to drink pop regularly so i dont think he'll be getting booze anytime soon
after about the age of 14-15 i was allowed a small glass at xmas of wine spritzer of a snowball....ie something weak and i may do the same with mine but not before then

just mo

yeah children are allowed to drink in their own home with their parents supervision etc.
& isn't it like 14 in a restaurant with a meal?
idk that might of changed.

We allow 5 year olds to have chocolate don't we? Isn't that also something unnecessary that can be over done? Most people think giving foods in moderation, and teaching healthy eating from a young age is good. Why is it different for alcohol?

ckocolate isnt a mind altering drug, although i agree with everytihng in moderate theres no legal age limit for chocolate

Depends. High quality cocoa has been linked to improving health and the heart in moderation.

Chocolate also isn't a poison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->