Children and alcohol in their own home

i plan on educating my son about hard drugs im not going to fill him with cocaine to do it

We allow 5 year olds to have chocolate don't we? Isn't that also something unnecessary that can be over done? Most people think giving foods in moderation, and teaching healthy eating from a young age is good. Why is it different for alcohol?

People don't die from chocolate poisoning.

i plan on educating my son about hard drugs im not going to fill him with cocaine to do it

Yeah but thats completely different, Seein as its an illegal substance for 1. A hard drug for 2 and i wouldnt dream of giving anyone cocaine, having experienced the effects of it myself in the past.

But If Jacob comes to me and asks for a taste of beer when he is older, i wil let him him have a taste. But also educate him on it. Not fill him with it...

I know everyone is saying what are the beneficial reasons for giving a 5 year old a taste of alcohal but someone please find me evidence that a TASTE is going to do them harm. Im not saying letting them drink it. But a single taste of it...please find me something that says a single mouthful is going to harm him....

We allow 5 year olds to have chocolate don't we? Isn't that also something unnecessary that can be over done? Most people think giving foods in moderation, and teaching healthy eating from a young age is good. Why is it different for alcohol?

Any kid's die from having a single taste of alcohal....im not saying drinking it as a daily thing....but a single taste ??

Any kid's die from having a single taste of alcohal....im not saying drinking it as a daily thing....but a single taste ??

Having chocolate in moderation doesn't do people harm, does having alcohol in moderation do people harm?

Abusing or misusing alcohol can and does kill and ruin lives. Abusing or misusing chocolate can and does kill and ruin lives.

Any kids die from a single puff on a fag? The argument could go on and on, but at the end of the day, it's just not necessary to give children booze. Our culture is so focused on alcohol that we feel we MUST introduce it from early on in childhood. Children can't just be children anymore these days. We seem to want to let them do everything we do.

i might be wrong but i was told that chocolate is a poison. if you eat so much at once it can make you ill, same as in dogs :shrug: might be wrong tho lol

as for the alcohol thing, i don't even give my 7 year old pop never mind alcohol, he dipped his finger in a pint of larger once and he said it was vile and he will never drink it........yeah right tell me that in 10 years son lol.

i don't agree with giving alcohol to children.

i think shes referring to an earlier poster who said she'd give her 5yo a drink of alcohol with their meal so that they learn not to drink in excess and understand the effects better...

I dont think Id have a problem with a taste, I used to have a taste of my dads when I was a child and my reaction was usually YUKKKK. I dont have a problem with that, not sure Id do it but Ill cross that bridge when I come to it

Having chocolate in moderation doesn't do people harm, does having alcohol in moderation do people harm?

Abusing or misusing alcohol can and does kill and ruin lives. Abusing or misusing chocolate can and does kill and ruin lives.

In what way? I've never heard of anyone dying from chocolate abuse. Over-eating, yes, but that's usually in conjunction with other bad lifestyle habits.

Rosie is 14 1/2 and she had half a can of lager the other week on a saturday night while we were watching tv.
we did this because i read her msn and she's been planning and plotting stealing booze along with her mates to get drunk.
before now we didnt let her have her own drink put she would ask to taste and go off giggling about it. but before 10yrs old she wouldnt have asked she's not interested in what we had i our glass. she thought having a glass of coke as a treat was great :dohh:
i said you still want to go drinking she said it tastes gross no thanks :rofl:

educate your children in moderation, now Rosie is old enough to understand consequences we speak openly about drugs and alcohol and the damage of drugs and alcohol abuse can do along with smoking too.

Any kids die from a single puff on a fag? The argument could go on and on, but at the end of the day, it's just not necessary to give children booze. Our culture is so focused on alcohol that we feel we MUST introduce it from early on in childhood. Children can't just be children anymore these days. We seem to want to let them do everything we do.

I don't think it is that.

Are you saying that alcohol shouldn't be given, because of the risk of addiction? I don't agree with that, most people can eat and drink normally, without addiction. Smoking and hard drugs are different, they are addictive to the majority.

I think that a healthy attitude to food and alcohol is important. Let both be seen as something nice that we have a little of sometimes, but not something to have too often or in too large amounts. I don't think we should make either a 'taboo' thing.

In what way? I've never heard of anyone dying from chocolate abuse. Over-eating, yes, but that's usually in conjunction with other bad lifestyle habits.

Trust me, there is no chocolate poisioning :rofl: I worked in a chocolate shop and I honest to god ate like at least a pound of chocolate a day. :blush:

Yes, I'm talking about over-eating. Overeating and alcohol abuse are very, very similar. I'm sure some peoples binges are centered around just chocolate. So for the above discussion, replace chocolate with 'things that are unhealthy eaten in large quantities like chocolate and sweets'.

Obviously if we all had a first drink, and we all thought it tasted like shit, it did not deter us. I still drink today.

I don't get the posts comparing it to completely random things. We are talking about one thing here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning

Chocolate is a poisen but i think we would have to eat our own weight in it for it to hurt us lol Its more that 70% stuff that all the TV chefs use xx

Yes, I'm talking about over-eating. Overeating and alcohol abuse are very, very similar. I'm sure some peoples binges are centered around just chocolate. So for the above discussion, replace chocolate with 'things that are unhealthy eaten in large quantities like chocolate and sweets'.

Well that would make what you said about chocolate null and void. You seem to be lacking in consistency.

Obviously if we all had a first drink, and we all thought it tasted like shit, it did not deter us. I still drink today.

I don't get the posts comparing it to completely random things. We are talking about one thing here.

Why do you think unhealthy food is random?

Both are fine in moderation. Both are something most people indulge in. Both can be abused. Both are something we should teach sensible use of.

I think it makes some people feel better to change the subject to random things.

Because we were talking about giving your child poison.
Not about your kid being overweight. That is a whole different topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->