Children and alcohol in their own home

My OH smokes weed all the time but I wouldnt let Meadow have a go so I can teach her its bad. Theres other ways of doing it.

it would seem that way wouldn't it? OMG I'm such a bad mum for having my own views on how I will bring up my own child FFS!! maybe I should just give up now I'm only going to poison him when he's older

You have your opinion, I have mine. I think giving a 5 year old alcohol is insane and yes, I think it is poisoning them.

Alcohol is a poison. Why would you give it to a child? They can't even decide if they want it or not! You're not a bad mum for having your own views, but I wouldn't rate your parenting skills for giving your child alcohol. Might as well give him a fag as well - just to make sure he doesn't become a chain smoker...

I think I would give Dylan a taste if he asked about it. I can't really see it coming up though, as we don't drink very often. I remember being allowed tastes when I was younger and I thought it tasted vile and the mystery was gone for me then. I do feel that these tastes played a part in me not drinking a lot growing up, as I never felt the urge as I knew it tastes horrible.
I do think everyone has jumped on Bubbles a bit. I did not read her posts to say that she would give her child a can of beer as soon as he turned 5, I read it to be the same as some other people have said - she would give her child extremely watered down wine as part of a celebration, to make her child feel included, teach him from an early age that you drink alcohol only on special occasions. Maybe 5 is a bit young, but each to their own.

I think giving a 10 or 14 year old if they ask for a sip is ok but 5 is just ridiculous they dont even understand what it is :shrug:

I think it is a daft law that should be scrapped tbh, but 99% of parents wouldn't dream of giving a 5 yr old a drink, though saying that how many have had a sip of dads beer and pulled a face :lol:

At christmas I gave Emily a very orangey bucks fizz and she has had a mix of wkd with Lemonade about a 1/15 ratio, it was just barley coloured.
Emily knows the effects of alcohol, she has seen the state of me on a sunday morning :lol:, not a fab parental example, I tell her it is not big and not clever to get hammered and I'm daft for getting tipsy.

Reading this thread though I just got this vision of some kids going into Reception class on a Monday morning hungover :rofl:

I'm sure someparents would find it entertaing to ply there children with alcohol just tosee what happened :(

it would seem that way wouldn't it? OMG I'm such a bad mum for having my own views on how I will bring up my own child FFS!! maybe I should just give up now I'm only going to poison him when he's older

You have your opinion, I have mine. I think giving a 5 year old alcohol is insane and yes, I think it is poisoning them.

Alcohol is a poison. Why would you give it to a child? They can't even decide if they want it or not! You're not a bad mum for having your own views, but I wouldn't rate your parenting skills for giving your child alcohol. Might as well give him a fag as well - just to make sure he doesn't become a chain smoker...

At 5 years old they can decide if they want to try it and I would be happy for my son to try it. Yes it's a poison but so are car fumes, we still allow our children out into the street. Also giving them a fag is alot different, smoking has a more detrimetal effect on your body, as an ex smoker I can feel the difference in my body now to when I was smoking and I wasn't really a heavy smoker. I can breath easier (when my face isn't getting pumped full of exhaust fumes) I can smell better, my skin looks better and I generally feel better in myself. Oh and just to point out it's not your place to rate my parenting skills, you have no idea of the things I have done or will do for my son

My OH smokes weed all the time but I wouldnt let Meadow have a go so I can teach her its bad. Theres other ways of doing it.

Can I ask, does he smoke it in the house and how long after having a smoke does he hold your daughter? Speaking as someone who grew up with their parents smoking cannabis, chances are she wouldn't touch it. Neither me my brother or sister have smoked it as we all saw what it did to our parents

Can I ask, does he smoke it in the house and how long after having a smoke does he hold your daughter? Speaking as someone who grew up with their parents smoking cannabis, chances are she wouldn't touch it. Neither me my brother or sister have smoked it as we all saw what it did to our parents

He smokes it outside and he will always wash before touching her. Its going to be impossible to hide because kids arent stupid. But hopefully she wont want to do it. Ive not got a problem if she tries it as a teenager as long as it doesnt turn into a long term thing, like my OH. Ive tried it but dont like it because Im not into smoking. Hopefully she will choose not to do it.

At 5 years old they can decide if they want to try it and I would be happy for my son to try it. Yes it's a poison but so are car fumes, we still allow our children out into the street. Also giving them a fag is alot different, smoking has a more detrimetal effect on your body, as an ex smoker I can feel the difference in my body now to when I was smoking and I wasn't really a heavy smoker. I can breath easier (when my face isn't getting pumped full of exhaust fumes) I can smell better, my skin looks better and I generally feel better in myself. Oh and just to point out it's not your place to rate my parenting skills, you have no idea of the things I have done or will do for my son

How are you associating car fumes, which are regulated by the government to safe levels, as the same as giving your 5 year old alcohol when their kidneys are still developing? They don't even equate to the same thing.

How are you associating car fumes, which are regulated by the government to safe levels, as the same as giving your 5 year old alcohol when their kidneys are still developing? They don't even equate to the same thing.

the point is it is a poison just like alcohol. While their kidneys are still developing have their lungs stopped?

I still don't understand why the benefits of introducing alcohol at aged 5 seem to outweigh the risks :shrug:

If you want to educate your children about alcohol, I can see introducing it around age 12 with meals, watered down when they understand the consequences of actions, and can have a better appreciation and understanding of what it means. Five years old don't. Nor will they remember.

the point is it is a poison just like alcohol. While their kidneys are still developing have their lungs stopped?

No, the point is they aren't the same. Fumes are regulated by the government to safe levels, and also dispersed quickly in air. You are breathing in very, very low levels of anything. Most cars nowadays burn very clean and are tested, and regulated. Hence why we have MOTs.

Not the same as giving your 5 year old alcohol by any stretch of the imagination.

Plus two wrongs don't equate to a right. You can't say that because you let your child breath in car fumes, you may as well let them drink too.

I'm not sure why you keep using all these analogies to back up you point though. They don't compare at all.

If you want to give your 5 year old alcohol, then thats your decision. However you have to realise that the vast majority of mothers, and health care professionals would not do so, nor support it.

I know its true about being at home, im not sure what age though.

And i think its if your over 14, and your parents give u permission you can have a glass of wine at a resturant? Dont quote me on that though.

You know what. I am done with this whole thing. You seem to have the attitude everyone can have their own views and ways of bringing up their child as long as it fits in with your views. I'm sick of it. Stop making out that I am this terrible mother who will abuse her child by making him drink alcohol

Chances are, if you offer something to a 5 year old, they will accept it. You're obviously just trying to justify your future decisions with points that are flaccid and erroneous. Alcohol, tobacco, caffeine etc are ALL drugs. I don't see how one is 'less detrimental' than another in the case of a young child. Oh, and just to point out, you have said that you don't have a problem offering your child alcohol, so I DO have an idea of what you will do for your son as you've told us all already. So therefore if I decide to 'rate' you, it's my choice/opinion. This is a public forum and opinions will be formed whether you agree with them or not.

You know what. I am done with this whole thing. You seem to have the attitude everyone can have their own views and ways of bringing up their child as long as it fits in with your views. I'm sick of it. Stop making out that I am this terrible mother who will abuse her child by making him drink alcohol

You set the ball rolling love.

If I did, I wouldn't be able to use a forum as everyone has totally different parenting styles. Sam said her OH smokes weed. Its not something I would personally do, and isn't my view, but fine. They're adults and being responsible with it. However if Sam said she was going to give Meadow a spliff when she's 5 then I imagine some people would comment.

You can't contribute to a discussion in a forum, then get annoyed when people have a different view to yours.

I can see why other posters educate children when they are around 12, as they have a better grasp of reality and consequences, and have more of an understanding of the world around them. However I'm not the only person who's posted who sees something wrong with giving a 5 year old alcohol.

I can't even understand why a 5 year old would say "Ill have a glass of wine with my tea please mum?"

Even if they asked no way in hell would I allow it at that age.

If Seth got to the age where he was underage drinking, I would probably let him do it in my house. Say he's 16, he's going to do it regardless of what I say, I'd rather he do it under MY supervision than on some street corner somewhere. If a teenager has something on their mind, 9 times out of 10 they'll do it regardless. I know that for a fact because I did! I would HATE for Seth to do some of the things that I got up to.

But on the other hand he might not be into anything like that and I sincerely hope thats the case. I drink/drunk heavily and smoked, but my 20 yr old brother didn't do either, so who's to say.

Also, Im sure there was a thread about a 5 year old smoking floating around somewhere... thats bad isnt it? Whats the difference between that and alcohol?

I'm not annoyed that people have a different view to me I am annoyed that you seem to be accusing me of hurting my son in some way just because I would let him try alcohol at the age of 5 if he asked. I used to come on this forum for support and advice and all I seem to be getting is abuse for having a view that not everyone agrees with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->