Choking and teeth

A

AppleBlossom

Grace is almost 7 months and I have started giving her some 7+ month foods. But she gagged a lot and started to choke. I was told in an earlier thread to let her choke (up to a certain point) so she gets used to lumps and textures. But I was thinking that a lot of foods that people have suggested eg cheese she will choke on and was wondering if foods that you give at 7+months are dependent on whether they have teeth? She hasn't got any yet and yesterday she was eating an organix soft biscuit meant for that age and she started properly choking on it because it was breaking off easily and she was finding it hard to chew and it made me wonder whether she would find it easier if she had teeth?

Valerie did not have any teeth at Grace's age either. Everyone kept saying, "Oh you should be giving Valerie finger foods." When I tried, she started choking as well. So I held off on the lumpier foods/finger foods until she got her two first teeth (which came about 7 1/2 months). She does so much better with them now and actually enjoys finger foods. You can still try and introduce lumpier/finger foods, but I wouldn't focus on it too much yet until she gets some teeth.

I was told by my HV babies learn to chew between 7-10 months with the average being 9 months, so she just may not know how to chew yet, I would just work with her and offer small finger foods. My little niece has only just learned to chew and she will be 10 months in 1.5 weeks time and even now she choke more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->