choking baby

LuluBee

Mummy to Alex
Reaction score
Does this happen to anyone else? Alex will be happily lying down having his nappy changed, or be fast asleep in my arms and all of a sudden he starts choking, he goes bright red / purple, completely rigid and really struggles - he can't breathe.

I have to force him upright and really smack him on the back several times to get him breathing again. Afterwards he cries for a couple of minutes and is then fine again.

It's happened several times in the past few weeks, at first we thought it was because he had cold and blocked up nose, the doctor thought the same, but his cold's cleared now and it's just happened again :hissy: i've got an emergency appt at the doctors today and am so worried, does anyone else's baby do this?

my baby does but not as severly as yours kai can normally cough his out but sometimes i have to sit him up and pat his back quite firmly to help him i asked hv and she said it is just mucous at the back of his throat that he doesnt know what to do with she just said to raise his matress slightly to make sure it dosent happen in his sleep and for kai and me it usually happens some time after a feed so i just sit him upright for about 15 mins after a feed which is a bugger at night but def helps not sure if this is the same problem but thought id reply anyway hun hope it gets better

no Hannah's never done this :( Good luck with your appointment :hugs:

The doctor gave him a good check up and said he couldn't find anything wrong with Alex. He said he doesn't know what's causing it but he'll probably grow out of it :( Im scared to go to bed tongiht :hissy:

aww honey kaitlin did this when she was little but it was to do with mucous build up once she got a bit bigger it cleared up:hugs:

i have this with lucas and it seems to happen most often after his feeds and he's not a great burper but he does have some phenomenal wind out the back end. I asked my hv about it the other day and she was quite happy that it wasn't anything serious just mucous and stuff which is normal.

i know what you mean about sleeping though, i sleep with one ear open listening out for anything in case it happens in his sleep

That must be well scarey. Liss has a few times looked like she was heading that way, opened mouth gasping, but then soon went back to normal but even at that my heart jumped into my mouth and hit the ceiling.

The doctor gave him a good check up and said he couldn't find anything wrong with Alex. He said he doesn't know what's causing it but he'll probably grow out of it :( Im scared to go to bed tongiht :hissy:

Aww babe it's so scary when they do this:hug:

I'm not "recommending" it but merely saying that I often lie Erin on her side when she does this sort of thing through mucous

Seren has done this a few times and it's so scary... It's stopped now though... I think it was because of her reflux but since that's eased up, so has the choking, hope everything is okay at your appointment x

hey babe, Lylah does something similar about an hour or sometimes longer after a feed. She goes rigid and cant barely breathe, but milk comes out of her nose and i lift her upright til it goes away. She has it most days, although less now she is older. The doctor gave us some thickening powder for her bedtime milk, but I dont think thats the problem, i think its reflux so need to go back and get some baby gaviscon.

try raising her mattress it def works for kai he hasnt choked in bed since i done that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->