Christmas by charity shop

zorak

Reaction score
I'm curious, is anyone else trying to do Christmas by shopping in charity shops?

We are buying our first home soon so really trying to watch what we spend and with the kids being so young its so easy to pick up things they will love. I've got a few things already for them as well as a couple of the adults.

I'm not because I have in mind what I know they will like, though I do try not to go overboard. Also I tend to do a lot online as I just don't have as much time. I like the idea though

I buy a lot from charity shops for toy and book presents for the boys. Its easy to do, but start looking early as it can take months to build up a decent stash of things. I live in a great area for charity shops though so i might just be lucky! X

I'm not. I do all my shopping online. I just don't have the patience for stores and avoid shops as much as possible. I used to manage a charity shop years ago though and there was always some fab bargains and great condition items to be had :)

I buy a lot from charity shops for toy and book presents for the boys. Its easy to do, but start looking early as it can take months to build up a decent stash of things. I live in a great area for charity shops though so i might just be lucky! X

Yup that's why I've already started. We have a few good ones nearby so all I need is ten mins on a sat morning to pop my head in while my husband distracts the kids. The ones near my mother in law are fab too.

I always buy a few bits from the charity shops for Christmas. Last year, I got DS a Harry Potter jigsaw for 99p, some jeans that were like new, and loads of Christmas decorations x

Never tried this and at the minute we don't actually buy for many friends but if I did I would definitely be trying this now

Worth checking out the car boots. I went to one yesterday and got loads of great stuff!

I'm not but I have done in the past with similar (a nearly new sale)...that was for Callum's second christmas and he didn't know any better and the stuff was in perfect condition and cost me a fraction of the price!

I would definitely do it if circumstances meant i'd struggle otherwise...no point getting into debt over one day

I thought I'd give an update. I am doing really well with this. I've approached it by having an idea of what I'm aiming to get so I don't end up buying things they don't really want. I got the fisher price tall garage I wanted for my 1 year old, in great condition for £1.50! It'll be his main Christmas present so has saved me a fortune.

My 1 year old is now mostly sorted for his toys. I'm also slowly building a small stash for my 3 year old. I've no idea what to get him for his main present yet so that'll probably be something new.

I think in all I'm just so much more organised this year. I'm doing things like saving my boots advantage card points and I have a money tin where all our change goes to cover the Christmas shop. So far I think I've got about £25 in that.

I am not going to buy the baby any new pressies as he may not be early...but have got some 2nd hand toys...

It's such a good idea I really want to give it a shot but the charity shops in my town are so grim. I have awful memories of being dragged around them as a kid :haha:
There are some good car boot sales that I say I'll go to every week but then Saturday morning rolls around and it's just way too early so I skip it :haha:

The charity shops where I am are either shamefully overpriced or just depressing. I have had the rare lucky find though! I love getting a bargain. Has anyone found that some charity shops are overpriced ?! I find heart foundation a bit silly TBH. They had a top in there (that I also own) for a quid more than I paid for one when it was new. But our local cancer research shop is dirt cheap. I saw an entire toot toot set in there for a pound last week !

The charity shops where I am are either shamefully overpriced or just depressing. I have had the rare lucky find though! I love getting a bargain. Has anyone found that some charity shops are overpriced ?! I find heart foundation a bit silly TBH. They had a top in there (that I also own) for a quid more than I paid for one when it was new. But our local cancer research shop is dirt cheap. I saw an entire toot toot set in there for a pound last week !

Before I saw you'd written heart foundation I was thinking "yes - heart foundation!"
They're pretty aggressive with their fundraising anyway imo. I don't know how many times I've been literally cornered by their clipboard wankers. At their shop in my town there's a person who stands in the doorway with a bucket and you're expected to make a donation before you go in. But I've def seen pound shop tat in their window for like a fiver.

We have an Oxfam in the more "hipster" end of the city centre which markets itself as "vintage" and some of it is just silly prices.

I haven't tried charity shops, but I don't mind hand-me-downs and we have got her a few things from a nearly new baby sale. I got a fisher price activity table for £5 (ended up giving it early, lol) brand new Clarks shoes for £3, and a fisher price bounce n spin zebra for £7. The zebra and shoes are for her birthday, but I'm going again I September to get her Christmas stuff sorted!

Before I saw you'd written heart foundation I was thinking "yes - heart foundation!"
They're pretty aggressive with their fundraising anyway imo. I don't know how many times I've been literally cornered by their clipboard wankers. At their shop in my town there's a person who stands in the doorway with a bucket and you're expected to make a donation before you go in. But I've def seen pound shop tat in their window for like a fiver.

We have an Oxfam in the more "hipster" end of the city centre which markets itself as "vintage" and some of it is just silly prices.

Have to agree about heart foundation, but their furniture stores are great. I've got a lot from children's Barnardos, I still don't understand their pricing structure. Some things are crazy expensive then others are priced too low. Salvation Army is by far the best I just don't have one nearby.

See our heart foundation isnt too badly priced, Cancer research was awful. £5 for a naked tatty barbie with knotted hair?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->