Christmas on a low budget

joeybrooks

Ethan and Leo's mummy
Reaction score
I am so excited about Christmas, I absolutely love it and have done since I was a little girl, the magic has never really left it for me at all and now that we have our son (3) who is now starting to understand it this year, it is even more magical.

I know Christmas is not all about money, in fact it should be about anything but, but I love being able to buy lovely gifts for people. This year OH and I have been struggling quite a bit financially. We are incredibly fortunate that we are able to cover our monthly bills and keep food on the table (we both work full time) but we have almost nothing left for extras/luxuries/savings.

With regards to our son, we bought him a fab folding wooden castle and figures and my mum and dad bought him a bike and a helmet (which will also be from Santa) and I really dont want to buy lots and lots of little things as the house is literally coming down with them. So, apart from a few other wee things, I am happy with all we have got for him.

However, as far as my family and my DH goes, we have very little to spare and I'm a little down that I'm not able to treat them, as they all really deserve it. Normally I make lovely handmade gifts (I'm very crafty) and they go down a treat, but with working full time, having a 3 year old and being 9 weeks pregnant, I am absolutely beat, and have no energy (never mind no money for the raw materials to make the gifts) to do all of that this year.

Is anyone else finding things a little tighter this Christmas??

When I was thinking about this it got me thinking back to when I was younger, maybe about 5, and although my mum and dad did struggle quite a bit, my sister and I were always very well looked after and always had what we needed.

There was one christmas in particular that I got a baby doll with lovely pillows and bedding and blankets and I recognised it as a sheet that my mum owned. Before I got the chance to say a word she commented "Can you beleive that, Santa has taken my good sheet to make all of those blankets for your doll". She pretended to be annoyed about it but I told her it was ok because after all, Santa must have spent much more time in our house than anyone elses if he stayed to make all the bedding.

I suppose that answers my own question really, it's not all about money but the thought that you put into it.

Definitely, my memories of childhood Christmases are about the things we did as a family and not about the presents that I received. I'm sure all the adults would understand if you tell them you are struggling and it seems you have your little boy covered, which let's face it is all that really matters xx

I'm doing fudge (slow cooker) and simple cookies for others, and a salt dough ornament each from K :) Simple, not expensive and not overly time consuming :)

It's definitely the thought and spending time with family that matters most :hugs:

We are in a similar position and all my spare cash has gone towards the girls (just bought a car so had to cut back all over) made photo frames for all my family. My sister and Mum have a bit extra but everyone else has a personalised scrabble or letter frame. I do a hour a night when girls are in bed so they have taken a few weeks to make bit I am almost there. I hope they appreciate the effort but at the same time if they don't they wont get a thing at all next year!

Aww the doll bedding made me all emotional, when you look back as an adult you really appreciate those kinds of moments!​

you can do it on a budget i have for many years there's the pound shop, home made if you have time, supermarkets you can make a cheep hamper
and you can make it special without money x

I couldn't even tell you what presents I got as a kid or how many,but I remember telling jokes from crackers and all playing games x

There's only certain gifts that stick out in my mind and they were as I was older (like a teen). As a child I just remember the magic, the family, the love, excitement of waiting for Santa. What was under the tree was great I imagine (of course) but everything else is what I truly remember!

I think as long as you have your Son gifts which he will love thats all that matters. We have not gone wild this year simply got DD a few gifts we know she will love and will play with everyday!.

Im making simple gift baskets for family members and word cloud pictures in picture frames. Im sick of buying the usual gift sets so going for something more sentimental and cheap this time. Like you were on a tight budget. New baby and everything !!.

I think christmas is what you make it and with a little one around its going to be magical for him no matter what!

I totally agree with what Eve posted.

Explain to the adults that you don't have much to spare this year. I'm sure they will be happy with a token gift. Just a batch of cookies is nice to receive.
And remember you can always make it up with an extra special gift once money is a little better x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->