Chromosomal Inversion anyone?

s08

Finally a mom!
Reaction score
After multiple chemical pregnancies after IVF, we just got the results from our RPL testing. It turns out my husband has a balanced pericentric inversion of chromosome 9 (inv(9)(p11q13) to be exact). They say this is a "normal karyotype" and 1-3% of the population has this inversion, but there are studies suggesting a link to infertility and RPL. We are scheduled to have a phone consult with a genetic counselor next week, but in the interim it looks like we may have to delay our current cycle (starting stims next week). We were planning on genetically testing our embryos, assuming we had enough, but does anyone have experience with this? We do have a healthy son from IVF, so children are possible for us obviously, but I'm really confused about our next steps. Hoping someone else has been through this. Thanks!

Hi
I had to respond to you. H has the same exact inversion as yours. We were told by our genetic counselor that I can give us a higher rate of miscarriage, and possible infertility. I've been able to get pregnant twice, once we terminated at 21 weeks for triploidy (it was a fluke and had nothing to do with the inversion) and in January we had a miscarriage. We decided to move to on to IVF after that to do PGS testing to implant a healthy embryo. Our first IVF was a bit of a failure we didn't get any embryos to PGS testing. Actually insurance wouldn't cover PGS because it was considered a normal variant. We had to do ICSI for the IVF. So this IVF we are doing a different protocol of drugs to get more eggs and we are doing PICSI as well.
So my story is still in progress. I am really hoping it has a happy ending and we are able to get our rainbow.

Hi Danser,

Thank you so much for responding! I’m so sorry about your losses and disappointing IVF cycle. This process is horrible! But I sincerely hope PGS is the answer for you.

I have a bunch of questions and I hope you don't mind. Did you try long for your first? Did your genetic counselor say you shouldn’t transfer an embryo with this same inversion (even though it’s a “normal variant”)? What protocol are you doing for this next cycle to improve the number of eggs? Also, why did you have to do ICSI? We’ve always had good fertilization rates, so just wondering if we will have to add it to the next cycle.

Like you probably do, I have some serious concerns about producing enough quality eggs to genetically test. On our first cycle, they retrieved 23, 16 fertilized, but we only had one to freeze after transferring two not great embryos. On round 2, they shockingly only retrieved 8. Of those, 5 fertilized, and we transferred the only two that were any good. Since we are totally out of pocket for everything, it is all the more stressful!

Sorry for all the questions, but we were just thrown for a loop yesterday when we went in for a simple IVF consent visit and were hit with this news. We’ve been TTC constantly since 2010 (except when I was pregnant once), and had always been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, so it is weird to potentially have a cause or contributing factor. Thanks again for making me feel less alone!

We were trying for about 6 months prior to going to an RE we went to an RE not going about the genetic issue but because I wasn't ovulating due to PCOS. We did get pregnant on the 2nd cycle of TI w/ femara. After our loss I got pregnant again on the second cycle of TI w/ femara but it ended in miscarriage.
Our daughter had the inversion but other than the triploidy she was fine. I believe they said we could transfer an embryo with the inversion. H has it and he is normal, and healthy with no issues. I think the only case they wouldn't was if there was an unbalanced inversion or something along those lines if I remember correctly.
We did ISCI so the sample of the biopsy for the embryos was pure and there was no contamination from other sperm. We went from an all 350 iu menopur stimming to 300iu of follistim and 150 menopur stimming. So far it's giving me more follicles but we will see how many are mature at retrieval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->