• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Clogged Duct! Advice Please!

ChesMik4eva

Lorenzo's Mama
Reaction score
Ok, this is my first plugged duct in all our 13 months of nursing and I truly thought we were out of this danger zone. I need some advice!

Last night I noticed my boob was really tender in one spot and I could feel a little lump at the base. I hand expressed a little but it wasn't that painful and I was really tired so I just went to bed and didn't worry too much about it. I co sleep with my son and he still feeds all through the night but I have no idea how many times we would nurse, I pretty much sleep through it.

I woke up this morning and the area was red. I know this to be a sign of a plugged duct so immediately got in the hot shower and tried to massage the crap out of it. It was way more sore last night, so the pain hasn't gotten any worse. I've been doing hot compresses, massaging A LOT and hand expressing. My boob is practically empty but it's still red. I can still feel a little lump in the base. I can see all the milk coming out of the other ducts is white and normal looking, but I occasionally see some yellowy clear stuff come out which I'm assuming is from the blocked one. I can barely get more than a drop of it out.

I've tried putting him on to drain it but because it's pretty much totally empty from me hand expressing it so much he isn't very interested and runs off to play! Even when he was napping he did not care for it. He's sucked intermittently on it throughout the day but no where near enough that they advise to unclog it.

Am I going to get mastitis?! I don't feel sick at all, and the pain is not getting worse. A tad tender but definitely not as bad as last night. The lump is still there I think but it's hard to tell as my boobs feel kinda lumpy to me anyway. I think this mostly happens at the very beginning of breastfeeding, not when you're feeding a toddler! So trying to get him to feed more frequently isn't really an option, he'll just get off and run away.

Sorry this is so long, can anyone help?

I had this earlier this week, couldn't feel a lump but one side of my boob felt like it had been hit with a sledgehammer! I also had a temperature which scared me. I filled a nappy with really hot water and used it as a hot compress while Scarlett fed from it and also massaged, pushing down towards the nipple. Mine was really painful when she fed or when i let down so when that pain eased up I knew it was improving, took a few days to get back to normal though. I never saw anything yellow come out cos it would have gone into Scarlett!

If you don't have a temperature and it doesn't hurt when you express or when baby feeds I wouldn't worry too much, keep a close eye on it and head straight to the gp if you get a high temp or just want someone to take a look. I hope it's all ok :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->