Clomid or Injectables with IUI?

Aqua77

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the forum and ready to join the club. My husband and I have been TTC for 1 year now (I'm 37, he's 47). We did meet later in life but now we're ready to start a family and we're so very hopeful for that!

My history: I had 2 small polyps removed from my uterus so far, with a noted fibroid (but one that's not "in" the uterine cavity), and some small cysts on my ovaries that seem to come and go throughtout my cycles. My OB said only the polyps were concerning, so she removed them through a hysteroscopy/D&C in May. After coming of birth control, I had spotting about 5 days leading up to my period each month. Who knew if this was ever normal for me because I was on birth control for so long - I thought it was my body trying to find its natural "rhythm" again. OB said it was probably the polyps. But 3 months later after the surgery, the bleeding was still happening, so I made an appointment with a RE at a fertility clinic. The RE said it was endometriosis and after a laparoscopy, she found stage 2 endo. (It was all removed, thankfully). She also found a cyst on my tube and removed it. The lap was only 1.5 weeks ago and we already tried for this month (I just couldn't wait the presribed 2 weeks!) :blush:

Now I have my follow up appointment with the RE next week to discuss "next steps". In my semi-unconscious post-operative state, she told my hubby that I would probably need to decide between Clomid or injectables to do in conjunction with IUI. Can anyone weigh in on which would be better? I want to gather as much information as I can before I go into the appointment. I know Clomid is covered by my drug plan, but I ovulate regularly already. I don't know if the injectables are covered since I don't have drug names from my RE yet, I don't know what brand names to ask are covered. If they're not covered, what are the typical costs for one cycle of injectables? Would it be worth it to purchase them out of pocket if they are more successful than clomid? I looked up several brand name injectables based on forum posts but they were not covered.

I'm so very hopeful that we can start trying with these new steps for baby #1. I feel like I've been waiting my whole life to be a mommy. Now, I just don't want anything to stop my from my dream. Hopefully that includes finances because it seems all of this can add up really fast.

Thanks you ladies! I appreciate all your support and feedback!

I might try one or two cycles with clomid if I were you, and then move on to injectables. Clomid helps you ovulate more and stronger eggs, and injectables do the same thing on steroids.

What's working against you is your age. Egg quality drops off noticeably after age 35, almost monthly, so your RE wants to be more aggressive to compensate for that. I'll pm you the names of a couple of a pharmacies that sell injectables by mail order and you have their prices listed online.

Hi and welcome - you may find that you get more answers in the Lttc forums on here hun or the assisted conception one as thats where lots of us Long termies hang about ;)

Assuming you Ovulate normally without any meds Clomid would be the first line treatement with iui as it usually produces a few mature folicles. The Medicated IUI injectibles are much stronger and can produce more eggs. They use the same drugs for IVF just much stronger levels as they require even more eggs. Also has he had a semen analysis?

Best of luck hun!! x

Thanks so much for your help and reccomendations! Hubby's sperm analysis was all in the clear. So now just trying to make sure I'm all good to go. I will check into the lttc forums too (sorry, just so new to all of this).
Thanks again!

Hey no need to apologise - and i mean the ltttc section on here!!! I just thought you would get more answers and people probably doing the same as you xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->