• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cloth diapering in hospital?

justplay91

Mama to Kai and Zoe!
Reaction score
Hi ladies! When I was pregnant with my son, we considered cloth diapers but the initial cost was intimidating and our parents (who weren't really aware how easy they've become since their day) weren't really supportive. About 3 weeks ago though, we found some Bumgenius 4.0's at Goodwill for $2.00 a diaper and we decided to take on the challenges of cloth diapering on our 11 month old. We love it now and have already bought a full stash for my son and some newborns for the baby we're expecting early December. I was wondering if anyone here had brought cloth to the hospital to start baby out in? How many did you bring and how was the experience? The only other thing I was thinking was to maybe just bring one or two to bring her home in and use disposables for the rest of our stay...

I did fully cloth. I brought my whole stash and she only had one disposable the nurses put on her when I failed to lie out a clean cloth diaper. No big deal at my hospital!

I have just switched to cloth too with DS as love them and planning on using for baby but I was going to take disposables with me to the hospital and also for the first week due to the meconium! :wacko:

I have just switched to cloth too with DS as love them and planning on using for baby but I was going to take disposables with me to the hospital and also for the first week due to the meconium! :wacko:

Meconium was no big deal with cloth and did not stain at all, did nothing special to it.

You do all baby cares at hospital in New Zealand yourself so it makes no difference what sort of nappies you use. Up to you. Midwives here prefered cloth with my kids as it makes it easier to tell if they had urinatated (I had a sheet I filled out each day saying when I nursed and when baby peed and pood). You don't send your (healthy) baby off with a nurse to a nursery and they don't change baby or even touch baby that I recall.

The hospital I had Thomas at provided cloth nappies. No covers though just flats.

How many to take depends on how long you stay I suppose? I'd take 10 and get a visitor/OH to take home to wash and bring more if needed.

Meconium was no big deal with cloth and did not stain at all, did nothing special to it.

Oh that is good to know thank you :thumbup:

We don't have the money to buy a load of newborn sized cloth nappies as well as BTP ones, so we will be using disposables in the hospital and up until the baby is 10lb (my first LO was 9lb, so can't really justify the cost if we have a big baby again and it hits 10lb really quickly!) and then making the switch to BTP cloth nappies after that :thumbup:

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in the UK I can't imagine they have a problem with you using cloth whilst in the hospital though!

I would check with the hospital, it may be against their rules for soiled diapers (soiled anything) to sit around, even if it's contained in a wet bag.

I would check with the hospital, it may be against their rules for soiled diapers (soiled anything) to sit around, even if it's contained in a wet bag.

I kept mine in my personal luggage, I don't see how there is anything they can do about it. They have to thoroughly clean the room after you leave anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->