Cloth diapering noob - is this a good "starter pack?"

MrsKChicago

Reaction score
Hello ladies! We took a cloth diaper class today, and now I'm working on getting some diapers on our registry. I want a variety of diapers so we can see what brands and shapes we like on our particular baby, but we're leaning primarily towards pre-folds, with a few pockets and other types thrown in there for variety, lazy days, babysitters, etc. Anything listed as "From Z" is a hand me down from my nephew, so those are staying on the list no matter what.

I chose brands based on recommendations in the class, from my SIL, and random things I remember reading online, but I'm wondering if I'm missing any that anyone thinks I really ought to try. I'm working on the assumption that we'll build up our stash once we have an idea of what brands we like (I know I'll need more prefold inserts over time), but I don't want to be desperately diaper shopping with a 4 day old baby, either. I'm hoping for laundry every other day, but can do it every day in a pinch.

I feel like I'm way short on newborn covers, but some of the "one size" ones are supposed to be usable from 8lbs or so. Seems bulky, but like it would do in an emergency. Are there any other inexpensive newborn brands I should look at? I hate to spend $25 on a cover I'll use for 3 months. And it seems like a lot of brands don't want to do prefolds for newborns.

Am I missing anything important? Too much of any one thing? This is what's on the registry so far:

Newborn prefolds
3 from Z
6 Osocozy
15 Grovia

Newborn Covers
3 Rumparooz
1 Imagine Baby

Newborn All in One
2 Little Joeys from Z

Newborn Pockets
2 Blueberry
1 Kawaii

Size 2 prefolds
3 Grovia

One Size Covers
1 Blueberry
1 Rumparoos
1 Best Bottom
1 Grovia
1 Baby Beehinds
2 Bumkins from Z

One Size Pocket
2 Rumparooz

For my newborn I really like the Thirsties size one covers my mom added to my stash. They are much trimmer than my best bottoms and other brands. They also cost less than best bottoms. I also like the Softbums but they cost more than the Thirsties. The Softbums have adjustable elastic in the legs instead of the snaps normally used for sizing.

Congrats on your baby!

Thanks, I'll check them out!

My sister in law gave me a list of things she's done with, and she has a few newborn Rumparooz covers, so I may take those off the registry and add some other brands. I'd hate to have 7 covers and hate the brand. I'll try to get around to updating this post tomorrow, she has a bunch of assorted prefolds and such, too. Way more than I expected!

I second the Thirsties covers, they are two size, not "newborn" and "everything else", more balanced. They will last a while comparatively. And they are not so expensive.

THX newborn AIO are really similar to lil' joey diapers, but a fraction of the cost. You can get them through facebook co-ops. (If you want in on a buy that's happening soon, send me a PM and I'll link you to the group. :) )

Alva has newborn pocket diapers that are inexpensive, and they might also have newborn covers but I'm not 100% sure.

The Little Joeys are a hand me down from my SIL, so they won't cost me anything. Though actually, we bought them for her, so I guess we're still paying for them! I'll definitely check out Thirsties. I know SIL loves their cloth wipes.

This is the list after talking to SIL about what she has. I'm going to swap the registered for newborn Rumparooz for something else, though, since she has some Rumparooz covers for me. Not sure what's in the asst grab bag she has, but I think it's mostly things like soakers.

Think I have enough newborn prefolds to start? Should I add a few more? How many more newborn (or size 1 Thirsties) covers would you do for laundry every other day? I can do it more often in an emergency, I just don't want to have to all the time.

Newborn prefolds
3 from Z (Grovia?)
6 Osocozy
15 Grovia

Newborn Covers
3 Rumparooz (will probably change brand)
1 Imagine Baby
2 Rumparooz from Z

Newborn All in One
2 Little Joeys from Z

Newborn Pockets
2 Blueberry
1 Kawaii

Mediumish? Prefolds
8 Osocozy from Z
6 Imagine Gold from Z
3 Grovia Bamboo (Medium blue) from Z

One Size Covers
1 Blueberry
1 Best Bottom
1 Grovia
1 Baby Beehinds
2 Bumkins from Z
2 Rumparooz (have to buy in person, Amazon prices suck - may borrow one of Nephew's for a week first)

One Size Pocket
2 Rumparooz

Soakers: 2 Grovia
Asst stuff from work ladies from Z

Oh I had imagine covers and hated them. I couldn't use them. They were short and wide and my baby was long and skinny. I loved the Thirsties.

I just remembered I did have a Rumparooz cover, and I liked that one as well, it lasted almost as long as the thirsties (supposed to be 16 and 18lbs, but they were about the same).

ETA: I had a OS rumparooz cover, and I didn't like it as good as the newborn, really wide.

But that is a fit issue on my baby too, he's narrow.

I wish there was some way to know what shape he'll be! Genetically, I think DH and I were both kind of average all the way (we're certainly not long and skinny now!), but I know that doesn't necessarily mean much. Was fit the only issue with the Imagine covers? No trouble with general quality that you remember?

I swapped out a couple of the newborn Rumparooz on the registry for Thirsties.

Well I only washed them once to prep them, we used the occasionally when everything else was dirty but the fit was awful so I don't really remember anything about quality. They were acceptable and I sold them for a decent price.

I was a fat baby, DH was a chubby baby, DS is super skinny. He was a prem though, our next may be nice and chubby? Who knows what the baby will be like!

Oh and by Thirsties, I mean Thirsties Duo, the two size ones. The sized ones probably won't fit as long.

For this baby, I plan to buy a combination of softbums and thirsties duo covers (to use with existing flats or new fitteds) and AIOs. I love lil joeys and they would have been perfect for DS as a prem, but they only go up to 12lbs where swaddlebees and stuff go up to 16, and Thirsties Duo go up to 18. I am probably going to buy covers ahead, but wait on the AIOs because there is always a chance we could have another prem :)cry:) and I'll buy based on that later.

Honestly? What people told me (I disregarded) and now I see, you really do just have to wait and see!

It's so funny how different babies are. My SIL loves Rumparooz covers but hated Little Joeys on my preemie nephew. He's always been chunky by preemie standards, though. And I think she just doesn't like All in Ones.

I didn't use the Lil joeys, but I bought some for a pregnant friend and I LOVED the way they look, but I can't justify buying up to 12lb diapers for a term baby. Preemie yes though, since 12lbs was like at 9+ months!

The RRz covers worked pretty good in the newborn, but I didn't like the OS. Also I had hook & loop in the newborn and snap in the OS, which may have changed angles and stuff of how it connected.

I think my SIL had that same sizing issue even with a preemie. Sure, he was born at just over 3lbs, but he didn't go home til he was about 6.5, which is basically regular newborn size. His development is a little delayed, but his size is pretty average. And the NICU certainly wasn't cloth diapering him. I don't think he would have been wearing them for long even if she'd wanted him to. But hey, they're free! Hopefully they work for awhile. And since we're planning for 2 babies, we'll get some extra use out of them.

Well DS was 3lb15, came home at 4lb10, so still pretty small. The NICU wouldn't, but for the last 5 days of his 18 day stay I was "rooming in" with him, doing all his diaper changes and feeds, and if I did it again I'd do cloth then. I brought all his clothes, changed all his diapers, etc. In the future, I'd do his diapers the way I wanted to. I wasn't prepared for him to be so early last time, this time I'm going to have everything ready by 30 weeks instead of 36 like I planned last time.

Good idea to be prepared early. I have no reason to think I'll go early, but just watching my brother and SIL scrambled has made me want to get everything done as soon as we can once we have everything bought.

How lucky that you could room in with him! That must have really helped with the transition.

Good idea to be prepared early. I have no reason to think I'll go early, but just watching my brother and SIL scrambled has made me want to get everything done as soon as we can once we have everything bought.

How lucky that you could room in with him! That must have really helped with the transition.

If you don't do bottles, it's the only way they will let you take them home - ie you breastfeed exclusively for 48 hrs. Usually they have to be on all feeds by mouth for 48 hrs, if you don't do bottles you may or may not room in, although I think they prefer you do especially if it's your first to get used to taking care of the baby with nurses for support with such a small one.

So interesting! My nephew never got the hang of nursing, so SIL's been pumping into bottles (still going strong a year later, her dedication is amazing). I don't think I've heard anything about their nicu having parents room in, though. They barely even got warning that he was going home. It was just "Yeah, maybe in a couple days," and then "Surprise! Take your baby!" They didn't seem set up for rooming in, though. But I know they all have different policies.

Ha! I'm sidetracking my own thread :p I know it's nowhere near the experience a preemie mom has, but I guess preemie aunt has an impact on your interests and how you see things too.

So interesting! My nephew never got the hang of nursing, so SIL's been pumping into bottles (still going strong a year later, her dedication is amazing). I don't think I've heard anything about their nicu having parents room in, though. They barely even got warning that he was going home. It was just "Yeah, maybe in a couple days," and then "Surprise! Take your baby!" They didn't seem set up for rooming in, though. But I know they all have different policies.

Ha! I'm sidetracking my own thread :p I know it's nowhere near the experience a preemie mom has, but I guess preemie aunt has an impact on your interests and how you see things too.

LOL it was kind of that way for me. Just a random call (after they said it'd be a few days in the AM) "Can you come room in this afteroon? A room came open"...of course I jumped on it. That Saturday I had a (nasty) doctor say he was going to make me wait until he was 72 hrs fed by mouth instead of 48 because I was BF'ing not bottles, because he didn't think BM was what was best for preemies :)wacko:). I got so stressed out that day I actually left to go sleep at home that night, the next morning they called to say they were taking his feeding tube out and I'd better get there (they said THE DAY BEFORE it would be days before it came out). He went home after <12 hours of all feeds by mouth.

Breastmilk bad for preemies? Why does this man even have a job???

Breastmilk bad for preemies? Why does this man even have a job???

I know. He actually said "The majority of premature babies actually do better on formula than breastmilk" Or maybe it was just "You may not know this, but a lot of preemies do better on formula than breastmilk"....that's why BM is so important they use donor milk for preemies to prevent NEC...because formula actually works better for those babies....

Not just a doctor, a neonatologist.

Also, Sorry for the thread derail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"