cloth nappies???

vicky

Reaction score
I know some of the girls on here use cloth nappies, i got some information about using them i want to give it a go but don't understand what some of it is for and what is the best to use it, they do a laundary service but it is expensive per week, 9.95 per week, thats using a local services near me.

i was wondering if their was any good information that any of you girls could give me on using them or any good websites which will give me more of an idea of how much and things like that.

What do you think about them, do you think they are any good? worth the money? cheaper?

Thanks Girls

I loved my cloth nappies and found them brilliant when i got used to them, I only started using them when Jack was about 8/9 months old, so newborn wise, Kina Beanie and Helen are prob your best bets
Loads of info here https://www.babyandbump.com/eco-friendly-products-services/2839-cloth-nappies-need-idiots-guide.html and other threads there

As for cost, it really depends on what you go for and if you develop an obsession!!!

Any questions i'll try and help you as best i can

https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/ is also a good site to get to grips with stuff

I love my terry nappies.
How many disposables would have served 7 babies and still be able to pass on to the next?

I dry bucket and wash them myself. You can get flushable liners - slightly like a panty liner - just put that in the nappy, then when you change the liner just goes in the loo along with any solids and the damp nappy goes in the bucket with a little bicarb, pop the lid on and job done.
Then pop the nappies in the washing machine when your ready. I usually wash nappies every other day. I use a bio washing powder (although most say not too, bio's get the nappies much cleaner), then run them through an extra rinse cycle with a cup of white vinegar and hang them out.

I didn't really get on with the pre-shaped ones and prefer to use the flat squarish terry ones and pop a pair of plastic pants over the top. I feel kids potty train easier and quicker with terry nappies too. Although that is compared to other kids I know, not my own, because I've had them all in terries. but I've got 5 dry, Lily is very nearly dry and obviously Harvey is nowhere near yet LOL

Vicky, the best tip moneywise would be to speak to your local council. Lots of councils do initiatives to encourage people to use cloth nappies. I got £40 per baby towards the cost of the nappies from my council. The other options were to have some free sample cloth nappies or to trial the laundry service.

I don't use a laundry service myself. I had a mate who did that and they came once a week to collect. Trouble was by then it was all a bit whiffy! I do a wash a day, but that's because I fill 2 nappy bins a day.

I'm definitely happier using them over disposables. I'm so glad I'm not having to fork out every week for more nappies. I'm sure it has to save money longer term.

The only thing I've had to do recently is put them in disposables over night. Now that they sleep on their tummies I was finding that they were wet in the morning. Could just be the make I use and the way I fold the booster though.

thanks helen, will go and talk to my council and get some information

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->