Cloth nappy newbie!!

wannabewillow

Reaction score
Hi all
After spending the day with a friend who uses Bumgenius nappies, I really want to give it a go as it doesn't look as much of a hassle as I originally thought. Also now that the wee one is 4 months and I'm in a routine, I feel I can cope with the the extra demands of using cloth nappies. I'm on to ask other ladies their opinions and experiences. Are there any brands to watch out for/avoid etc? What's the difference with the materials used eg bamboo etc? So far, I've been looking at Bumgenius which I fancy, but they seem very expensive if we don't get on with them. I've also looked at Mothercare Smart Nappy, but when I bought a trial, with one nappy and one insert, it leaked as soon as the wee one pooed. Also, do you change the full nappy, or just the inserts? So many questions!!!! I'd appreciate any advice folk can give. Thankyou. Hugs xxx:hugs:

I'd say, try a wide variety before you commit to any one brand. Some will suit your LO more than others.

I prefer bamboo and hemp to microfibre as they're lots more absorbent, but they need to be washed at least 8 times to reach full absorbency.

Also, buy second hand first so if you don't like them you can sell them on for the same price you paid and no need to prewash them! try the cloth swap and sell thread or clothnappytree. Make sure they're in excellent condition, however.

it's good to try a range as femme says. Everyone has different views, some work for one and don't for another.

The different materials can help with heavy wetters, some are more absorbant than others like hemp and bamboo very absorbant. However, this slows there drying time so if you need something thats going to dry quickly microfibre is a good option still really absorbant.

As for inserts that depends what nappy you use, for instance the bumgenius is a pocket nappy and you have to change the whole thing. A 2 part nappy like the mothercare smart nappy (prefolds) or Itti Bittis (snap in one) for example, you can change the inserts and keep the outer shell providing it's clean. Basically anything that touches the skin needs changing. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->