Clueless about solids

suzan

Reaction score
We are going to start on solids in a few days but since I dont see the ped until the 6th on June, I wondered if u girls could help me with few questions that will post below:

1- Should I get a blender for baby's food so that its used ONLY for his food, or I can also use the one we have? Lots of comments in other site refers to better get a blender that is ONLY used for baby's food.

2- What should I give him first? Rice Cereal right? How many spoons? when? as breakfast, lunch, or dinner? how often per day? once, twice?! :dohh:

3- When should I start introducing different things? a friend told me that vegetables are introduced first and then fruits. Is that true?

4- Which vegetables, fruits should be the ones introduced now? like, is there an order to be introduced?

5- Also, DH's aunt told me that when you start solids, for instance, let's say, I give my son carrot puree as first veggie, she said to give him ONLY carrot puree for 2 days to see if he reacts weirdly from it, like to check if he gets any allergy? true?

Dont know why I am nervous about the solids?! Sorry if questions were silly. Just need to understand these things first! Of course, I am checking online in knowable websites, but I still want to know your opinions.

1- Should I get a blender for baby's food so that its used ONLY for his food, or I can also use the one we have? Lots of comments in other site refers to better get a blender that is ONLY used for baby's food. We didn't have one until I started making food for Hayden so at first it was used for just that but then I used it for other stuff, not sure why it would matter to have it used for just the baby food since it gets cleaned between uses anyways

2- What should I give him first? Rice Cereal right? How many spoons? when? as breakfast, lunch, or dinner? how often per day? once, twice?! Alot of people say rice first, but you dont have to you can also do just purees first...we did sweet potatoes with Hayden, they have low risk for allergies and they are closest in sweetness to breastmilk. Any orange veggies are good, avocado and banana are also good first choices. Do just once a day at first, only a few bites, he probably won't want much at first, but do what he wants. As for when, I would do it earlier in the day, right before bed starting something new might upset his stomach and effet his sleep. It's also good to do it between 2 of his normal feedings whre he isn't too hungry so he doesn't get frustrated

3- When should I start introducing different things? a friend told me that vegetables are introduced first and then fruits. Is that true? I agree to do veggies first, some say it really doesn't matter though so. Wait 3-4 days atleast between trying new things so you cn see if he has areaction so you would know what it is causing the reaction

4- Which vegetables, fruits should be the ones introduced now? like, is there an order to be introduced? it's good to do orange/yellow veggies first..they are slightly sweet but not too sweet. Then you can do the greens, like peas, green beans. Then fruits. There really isn't a order you have to do it in, that's just what I do

5- Also, DH's aunt told me that when you start solids, for instance, let's say, I give my son carrot puree as first veggie, she said to give him ONLY carrot puree for 2 days to see if he reacts weirdly from it, like to check if he gets any allergy? true? yes, but longer than 2 days...atleast 3-4...5-6 would be even better to be completely sure all is ok

1- Should I get a blender for baby's food so that its used ONLY for his food, or I can also use the one we have? Lots of comments in other site refers to better get a blender that is ONLY used for baby's food. We didn't have one until I started making food for Hayden so at first it was used for just that but then I used it for other stuff, not sure why it would matter to have it used for just the baby food since it gets cleaned between uses anyways

2- What should I give him first? Rice Cereal right? How many spoons? when? as breakfast, lunch, or dinner? how often per day? once, twice?! Alot of people say rice first, but you dont have to you can also do just purees first...we did sweet potatoes with Hayden, they have low risk for allergies and they are closest in sweetness to breastmilk. Any orange veggies are good, avocado and banana are also good first choices. Do just once a day at first, only a few bites, he probably won't want much at first, but do what he wants. As for when, I would do it earlier in the day, right before bed starting something new might upset his stomach and effet his sleep. It's also good to do it between 2 of his normal feedings whre he isn't too hungry so he doesn't get frustrated

3- When should I start introducing different things? a friend told me that vegetables are introduced first and then fruits. Is that true? I agree to do veggies first, some say it really doesn't matter though so. Wait 3-4 days atleast between trying new things so you cn see if he has areaction so you would know what it is causing the reaction

4- Which vegetables, fruits should be the ones introduced now? like, is there an order to be introduced? it's good to do orange/yellow veggies first..they are slightly sweet but not too sweet. Then you can do the greens, like peas, green beans. Then fruits. There really isn't a order you have to do it in, that's just what I do

5- Also, DH's aunt told me that when you start solids, for instance, let's say, I give my son carrot puree as first veggie, she said to give him ONLY carrot puree for 2 days to see if he reacts weirdly from it, like to check if he gets any allergy? true? yes, but longer than 2 days...atleast 3-4...5-6 would be even better to be completely sure all is ok

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!!!!! You are a huge help!!

Do you know any website or somewhere where I can get about 'first give orange/yellow veggies first" info???

No sorry, my pediatrician told me and it really made sense, you know how sweet potatoes are slightly sweet? Well green veggies are a bit bitter, and then fruit is really sweet. Well breastmilk is slightly sweet as well, so giving orange veggies is the closest to that so an easier transition.

This does show how avocado is a good one for first food
https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/avocadobabyfoodrecipes.html

Here you go I found this too
Stage 1 baby foods are thin and runny and are foods that are the lowest on the allergy scale. Stage 1 baby foods are typically those foods that are also more easily digested by a tiny tummy. Some of these foods include, sweet potatoes, butternut or winter squash and carrots.

and this link about starting
https://wholesomebabyfood.com/stage1_homemade_baby_food_recipes.htm

it is easy to over analyse weaning.
1. my hv said puree'ing through a sieve is just as effective as blender, but i have a hand held one.

2. i started week one with a 1-2 teaspoon of milky rice early evening not too near bedtime though just oncea day, week 2 intoduced breakfast the rice or baby cereal, tea time 1day fruit puree 1 day veg puree hv suggested this helps reduce sweet or savoury tooth.

3. sweet potato, carrot, butternutsquash, parsnip. these are nice starter foods, apple, pear mango nice fruit, i personally wouldnt give bananna till later in weaning as it can cause constipation.

4. never heard of this before i gave one food at a time in seperate bowls but only cos a mush of everything doesnt appeal to me lol,unless you have allergies in the family i wouldnt bother doing that it would take forever one food at a time for 2 - 3 days by the time you done that he'll be walking. if he gets a reaction (which will be very rare) elliminate the new thing you tried.

go for it have lots of fun hun, relax about it your going to do great.

x

1- Should I get a blender for baby's food so that its used ONLY for his food, or I can also use the one we have? Lots of comments in other site refers to better get a blender that is ONLY used for baby's food.

We got a cheapy £25 mini chopper and blender combi which is only going to be used for Amelie but I dont think you have too. I got a mini one so I could sterilise it :)

2- What should I give him first? Rice Cereal right? How many spoons? when? as breakfast, lunch, or dinner? how often per day? once, twice?! :dohh:
I started her on 1tablespoon of rice powder with a few of milk and made it really quite runny at 6.30pm.

3- When should I start introducing different things? a friend told me that vegetables are introduced first and then fruits. Is that true?
About a week after starting to wean I swapped her rice to the morning at 8.30am and a tbsp carrot puree mixed with milk at 6.30. shes not on 3 meals yet.

4- Which vegetables, fruits should be the ones introduced now? like, is there an order to be introduced?
I hear you should do orange veggies first b.c theyre sweetest, like carrot, sweet potato, parsnip, butternut squash

5- Also, DH's aunt told me that when you start solids, for instance, let's say, I give my son carrot puree as first veggie, she said to give him ONLY carrot puree for 2 days to see if he reacts weirdly from it, like to check if he gets any allergy? true?
dont know about that but it does make sense. dont think you;re meant to bombard their tastebuds with too many different new tastes at once. They tend to like bland things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->