Cluster Feeding question

Blackrain90

DS-2 & Bean on the way!
Reaction score
How do you determine which side to start on during cluster feeds? My son will feed for around 5 mins on one side at anywhere from 10 to 30 minute intervals. I have been trying to get 15 mins of feedings on one side before switching so that he has a better chance of getting the hindmilk.

Do you think this is fine, or would you still alternate between boobs every time he wants to feed? I know if they get too much foremilk it can upset their tummy so trying to avoid that as well, but don't want to screw with my supply.

I'm sure there's a really clever way to figure that out but personally I just give my boobs a poke. If the one she fed on last still feels quite full I'll pop her back on there first and if not I'll switch sides.

As for the foremilk/hindmilk thing - it's not really something I've ever worried about. I fed my son for 19 months without ever even knowing what it meant :haha: the only time I was concerned was switching from exclusively expressing for.my preemie to breastfeeding. She was still only 5lb and was feeding massively less than I'd been expressing. I was so sore and engorged I switched sides at every feed to get a bit of relief (she wasn't able to even come close to draining a breast so I did worry about foremilk for those few days) she gained an oz a day and was absolutely fine - no upset tummy or green poop so I went back to not worrying about it lol.

It won't be long at all before your little guy is feeding from both breasts at every feed most of the time and it'll be easer to know where you're up to.

I think during cluster feeds it doesn't really matter if you switch everytime (because you'll be back to the first one before long) or stick to one for a few tries. After all the total taken from each will probably be about the same If the cluster feed is going on for a while.

This is a really good explanation of why the fore/hind stuff shouldn't be worried about as long as feeds are frequent and baby led:
https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/

During cluster feeding, I feed from one side for 2 hours then once it is more than 2 hours since I first fed off of that side, I switch to the other. I just find if I swap sides too often, I become majorly over stimulated, get a huge over supply, blocked ducts from being so engorged constantly, stupidly strong let down to the point it chokes him etc.

I switch whenever Z seems to be getting agitated--squirming, pulling the nipple, popping on and off etc

All breasts are different, just do whatever seems to work best for you and your breasts and most importantly your baby. If you worry about hindmilk during cluster feeds give your breasts a good squeeze during a feed

Thanks ladies. He has been fussing a bit during his cluster feedings (he acts super hungry but when I try to feed he either refuses to latch, or pulls off and wants back on etc).

Thanks ladies. He has been fussing a bit during his cluster feedings (he acts super hungry but when I try to feed he either refuses to latch, or pulls off and wants back on etc).
Could be lower gas, wanting a new nursing position or change of scenery. GL with the cluster feeding!!

Could be lower gas, wanting a new nursing position or change of scenery. GL with the cluster feeding!!

^^ My boy does that when he he is either overstimulated by his surrounding and wants to have a nosey so I have to go somewhere quiet and boring, or if he wants a different position. He isn't keen on being fed across my lap. He wants to be lay down with me or lay next to me on a cushion with his head going under my arm. Gets very difficult when he ends up needing feeding in the car or in a cafe. :/

^^ My boy does that when he he is either overstimulated by his surrounding and wants to have a nosey so I have to go somewhere quiet and boring, or if he wants a different position. He isn't keen on being fed across my lap. He wants to be lay down with me or lay next to me on a cushion with his head going under my arm. Gets very difficult when he ends up needing feeding in the car or in a cafe. :/

I'm finding mine prefers across my lap. I find the only time he will feed laying with me is 3am when I don't give him a choice.

Oh my god. I think he had his first true "witching hour" last night- from 930 to 1230. Wouldn't sleep, constantly acted famished but would fight and refuse the boob and scream. Got desparate and tried a pacifier but showed no interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->