Co-sleeping

Lucy_lu_84

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Hiya!
Just have a little question. I never planned to co-sleep and i don't all the time, but my LO seems to settle and sleep much better when he is in with me. So I've started letting him sleep in with me and OH!
How hard is it when it comes to getting them back into there own beds... cos at some point he is going to have to go in his cot. For such little people they take up a lot of room. LOL

How did you go about getting them into there own beds?
How old were they when you stoppe co-sleeping

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread i couldn't see one

Thanks
Lu x

I was exactly the same and found that LO seem to settle alot quicker. My BF works 7 nights and then has 7 days off work. I found myself letting LO sleep in the bed with me on his working weeks.
We now settle LO on the bed and let him snuggle into us, he falls asleep in know time at all, we wait until we can hear him snoring away and then slowly place him in his own cot.

We now settle LO on the bed and let him snuggle into us, he falls asleep in know time at all, we wait until we can hear him snoring away and then slowly place him in his own cot.

we tried that but as soon as he hits the cot his eyes open in a split second-and i have a bedside cot which has no side on and is flush with my side of the bed!!!

I would love some advice on this one as well. Joseph is 10 months now and is too clever for us, we tried to get him into his cot so he will now go down happily in his cot at 7:30, but at 12 he wakes up and will only sleep in our bed! Tips other than just leaving him to scream would be great! x

I stopped at 10 months. It took 3 days. I didn't do CIO.

It isn't ALWAYS hard aslong as you stop when your child is ready.

To expand.. I spent 3 nights pretty much awake. I wouldn't let myself go into a deep sleep at all. If I heard her move I'd go and reassure her. "Don't worry, mummies here baby," and rub her back or belly. She learnt so quickly that it was a safe place to be.

Thanks, I will try that, might be easier if I sleep in his room for a few nights and see if that helps x

and i have a bedside cot which has no side on and is flush with my side of the bed!!!

We have a cot like that too, and then one day a few weeks ago, Edward just stopped sleeping well. It took a couple nights but I finally thought that maybe he needed to be in his "big boy crib" and BINGO... he loves it.

So for the question when and was it hard to move him to his own bed. Nope! Edward pretty much made the decision for himself long before I was ready :)

Our pediatrician recommended you stop before 18mo or commit until they are 3, that it's really hard between those ages. We stopped with Casen at 11mo, one day I just put him in his crib in the room with his brother, he got a bit upset at first but I just went in and talked to him and rubbed his back and he calmed down and went to sleep..he slept through from that night on. Hayden was 12mo when I put him in his toddler bed in our room, I would nurse him almost to sleep then put him in his bed, he would sleep a couple hours then get back in our bed. Finally at 15mo he started sleeping through, we moved when he was 16mo and he went into the room with his brothers. It really wasn't an issue, we waited until we felt they were old enough to understand to an extent, they knew what bedtime meant, and it wasn't that hard at all.

I have never done CIO. Niamh went into her own cot at 3 months, and went down straight away without a peep :)

perhaps we'll find it okay then when Joshua is old enough to decide he wants to sleep on his own. tbh i love having him in with me... e was up stairs napping earlier and i was downstairs and i felt lost with out him He's always by my side!

Dread to think what I will be like the first time i go out without him

It all depends on your child's personality and how old your child is when you make the switch. When Hunter was about 7 months I started putting him in his crib because we had just moved to a new house and that room was the only one without a bunch of boxes in it (being in his crib was only temporary until we could clean the bedroom out). He slept just fine, he did wake for some feedings, but he would do that anyways if he was with us. Hunter is 2 years old now and is sleeping with us still, and I really love it. We will let him make up his own mind if he wants to sleep in his room (he does have a toddler bed and has slept on it a few times) or if he wants to sleep in our bed. The book The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley is wonderful about switching them from co-sleeping to their own bed. She has a book for infants and for toddlers/preschoolers.

I still co-sleep with Layla, she is so much more peaceful when she's with me than when she's in her cot. It seems the natural thing to do with a baby. I read a book about the brain development of babies and co-sleeping was given the big thumbs up!

I will however, try and stop co-sleeping when she's in more of a routine so after 3 months and see how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->