co sleeping

I was adamant when I was pregnant that I would never let Seth sleep in with us, but theres been a couple of times when Ive dropped off and he's been next to me and Ive felt so guilty about it. Its a lot harder to say it'll never happen than actually making sure it doesn't. Every ones individual choice obviously.

xxx

We co-sleep and it's not dangerous as long as you take the proper precautions. Also, many people find that there is no problem with getting them in their own bed when they're older. .

Actually there is a very high incident rate of SIDS for children who are in their parents beds. Newborns are suppose to sleep on firm mattresses with very little-to-no blankts and fluffy things around them.

And anyone i've spoke to who has co-slept, DEFINATELY struggled hugely with getting the child into a regular routine of independance. They also struggled with their children being outgoing enough with other children and adults.

I just dont understand it.

Its one thing to let a young child com ein when they have a nightmare.

With SIDs - yes it really is a danger, but the stats include people falling asleep with their baby while on the sofa.

But I think about the independence issue, it comes down to all sorts of factors including the childs personality. I know kids who have co-slept and they are very confident and loved getting their own bed - I think because they felt so secure in themselves perhaps as a result of the co-sleeping. I do think it is very much an intuitive choice. For me the danger of SIDs is the biggest factor, but I still want my babies to feel secure and close to us while they are so tiny.

I'm going to sleep with my son right beside me. I think we as women subconsciously remember throughout our sleep that our child is beside us, but I read alot of articles about this and they stated that men have more difficulty doing this than women.
I will be sleeping on a firm matress with nothing on it aswell, I truly believe with SIDS that parent + child touch is an important factor that help decrease the risks.

At the moment I'm of the opinion that not co-sleeping is far more detrimental to a baby. I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff and so far it makes a huge amount of sense.

I will do a lot more reading around the subject before LO is born and ensure that I take all the proper safety precautions but it just seems like the right thing to do. I'm planning on doing the whole 'in arms phase' carrying LO around in a sling. From what I've read so far it seems that Continuum babies become independent alot sooner than non-Continuum babies are and because they've been in their 'right place' (according to the theory) they aren't clingy in the next stage.

I'm still open to other points of view and will be happy to change to other things if it doesn't work when LO has arrived but for now I can't see anything convincing me otherwise.

It's a really interesting book to read and I'd strongly recommend it to everyone.

At the moment I'm of the opinion that not co-sleeping is far more detrimental to a baby. I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff and so far it makes a huge amount of sense.

I will do a lot more reading around the subject before LO is born and ensure that I take all the proper safety precautions but it just seems like the right thing to do. I'm planning on doing the whole 'in arms phase' carrying LO around in a sling. From what I've read so far it seems that Continuum babies become independent alot sooner than non-Continuum babies are and because they've been in their 'right place' (according to the theory) they aren't clingy in the next stage.

I'm still open to other points of view and will be happy to change to other things if it doesn't work when LO has arrived but for now I can't see anything convincing me otherwise.

It's a really interesting book to read and I'd strongly recommend it to everyone.

I agree with this. My plan is to try for as much contact as possible (baby wearing etc) within what is safe - but I am just too nervous about the co-sleeping part.

I'm still trying to decide. I don't have an OH to worry about, and I do have half of my bed free. But I will be scared to death that I'll roll over! I might just keep a bassinet RIGHT next to my bed.

I'm also hesitant because my cousin's two kids both co-slept. The oldest is 7 and he sleeps in his own room, but only if his dad sleeps with him(wayyyy toooo oldd in my opinion). The youngest is 3 and he sleeps in bed with his mom. My cousin and his gf haven't slept alone together for 7 years!!!

Totally disagree. Have co slept with all 4 and had no problems with moving them into their own beds and they are very outgoing individuals. Don't know many independant babies! You can still have routine and co sleep.

I agree with this. My plan is to try for as much contact as possible (baby wearing etc) within what is safe - but I am just too nervous about the co-sleeping part.

The co-sleeping looks loads easier than the after in-arms stage when the book seems to be suggesting you give the responsibility for the baby's safety to the baby.. That bit looks really scary and I'm not sure how that could be realistically put into practice.

I know what you mean though - I'm going to get this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Bed-...59/ref=pd_sim_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1214041489&sr=8-1

next. It's got really good reviews. I think the more information I can get beforehand will mean I can take all the necessary safety precautions and be more confident about co-sleeping. Alot of it does seem to be letting go and trusting your instincts though.

Really hope that faced with a gorgeous little vulnerable baby I can do the right thing for it x

Im not sure on this right now ... if it were just me then maybe id lean more towards it but with my big lump of an OH it kinda worries me a little.

I think im going to end up with the baby in our room next to my side of the bed

I totally disagree that it makes getting them in their own cots/bed difficult - I think thats down to you as parents.

I didnt intentionally decide to have Emily in bed with me. It was really a bi-product of breastfeeding. She was in a moses basket at the side of me and when she woke and I fed her, I ended up falling asleep with her. I only breast fed for a relatively short time - first 3 months - then she went in her own room in her cot. No problems what so ever.

I say if people want to do it then let them. Just because you dont want to doesnt mean you should rubbish other people wanting to try it - its their choice.

I say if people want to do it then let them. Just because you dont want to doesnt mean you should rubbish other people wanting to try it - its their choice.

:happydance: I agree, it is up to us all as parents to decide what is best for our children. When my Dads sister was a baby she slept in bed with my nan and unfortunately passed due to being in bed with my nan and grandad (it was put on the death certificate that baby died through being in bed with parents). But my dad and his sisters all had been before and nothing at all happened with them. I can see both sides of this debate and I really think it is up to the individual to decide what choices they are going to make with their child. If they're in a separate holder / mattress that is at the side of the bed or something that prevents the parents from moving over I think this is the best idea. But when I used to stay with my nephew a lot when he was little he used to fall asleep on me on the sofa plenty of times. I dunno, but yeah, each to their own. You'll feel what is right. xXx

I co sleep and baby sleeps on my side caz i do worry bout OH. I did with both of mine, Paige usually settles in her cot at 8ish then when she wakes i'l try and put her in the cot but if she ends up in our bed no big deal, sometimes she sleep's under duvet if its cold and some times ontop with her sleeping bag on, it just depends on weather. My lil boy sleeps in own room and has done since 7 months, he goes to bed at 7.30 settles himself and gets up any time between 7.30 and 9. I think it totally depends on the individual. One thing i will say is that when i was pregnant and saw all the horror stories i said i wouldn't but when the time comes and you need sleep it just happens and you'l be suprised how alert you are x x

I did co-sleep with my first... wasn't planned, but it made life sooo much easier. I agree that it doesnt always make it harder to switch them over to their own room, as I had no problems what so ever. Although I am really going to try hard not to co-sleep with this baby, due to the fact that we do not allow our 3 year old to sleep in our bed (except on rare occasions) and do not think it would be fair to him to bring the new baby in there. I dont want to make him feel like the baby is more special than him, or that we are replacing him in any way.

I did co-sleep with my first... wasn't planned, but it made life sooo much easier. I agree that it doesnt always make it harder to switch them over to their own room, as I had no problems what so ever. Although I am really going to try hard not to co-sleep with this baby, due to the fact that we do not allow our 3 year old to sleep in our bed (except on rare occasions) and do not think it would be fair to him to bring the new baby in there. I dont want to make him feel like the baby is more special than him, or that we are replacing him in any way.

That makes total sense.

Mine have all co-slept for different lengths of time due to breast feeding. The moses basket would be next to the bed and for the first couple of hours each night baby would sleep in there, this was my dead to the world sleep oppurtunity. As long as I could grab 2 hours of exhausted sleep baby was then welcome to sneak in for a booby and we would wake up the next morning in pretty much the same position that we went to sleep. I have always said that through out evolution baby has stayed with mum and we are programmed not to move even if usually you toss and turn. You will wake up in the morning with your arm totally dead where it has been locked in a strange position under your head all night lol. Its your choice.

Actually there is a very high incident rate of SIDS for children who are in their parents beds. Newborns are suppose to sleep on firm mattresses with very little-to-no blankts and fluffy things around them.

And anyone i've spoke to who has co-slept, DEFINATELY struggled hugely with getting the child into a regular routine of independance. They also struggled with their children being outgoing enough with other children and adults.

I just dont understand it.

Its one thing to let a young child com ein when they have a nightmare.

It's been proven co-sleeping reduces sids. There's a huge difference between sids and smothering an infant. We co-slept with our daughter and she went into a bed by 1, we've had no problem.

On a sids website:

SIDS Studies have proven that Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is greatly reduced for the breastfeeding, co-sleeping baby, when with non-smoking, sober parents in a standard adult bed with wedging dangers removed. The practice of room-sharing or breastfeeding alone cuts SIDS rates considerably. When combined with safe co-sleeping, the infant survival chances are even higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->