Coffee?

mummof1

Reaction score
Alright so I read SO many mixed things on this whole caffeine thing.
With my first son I didn't drink coffee so it wasn't an issue.
With my second son, I stopped drinking it for the first trimester then I had one cup a day usually throughout the remainder of my pregnancy.

I have just found out this week that I'm pregnant with number 3 and I am EXHAUSTED lol! Im also an Early Childhood Educator and work full-time in a kindergarten classroom with 25 children ages 4-6.

I have no energy lol. I am eating healthy going to bed early but Im desperate for my cup of coffee to give me that little boost!

Anyone else still drinking coffee?

You don't need to cut out caffeine completely, but don't have more than 200mg a day. The approximate amount of caffeine found in food and drinks is:
one mug of instant coffee: 100mg
one mug of filter coffee: 140mg
one mug of tea: 75mg
one can of cola: 40mg
one can of energy drink: 80mg
one 50g bar of plain (dark) chocolate: around 50mg
one 50g bar of milk chocolate: around 25mg

Agreed! You can definitely have your coffee. I still drink one or two teas a day, or one coffee. Just beware that coffees from coffee chains have higher mg than brewed at home. I remember checking Starbucks online and it was super high lol. So I usually get a half caf there if I get one. But as long as it's not all the time, it won't hurt :)

If you drink coffee made from Keurig or Tassimo cups you can look up the exact caffeine content of your drinks. I have had 2 cups a day at 70mg of caffiene each through my entire pregnancy.

Also some women find that a cup of decaf gives them a boost too because of the psychological association with normal coffee.

Thank you for replying !
I am a Tim Hortons addict .. So I use to get a large but now I have gotten a small a couple times this week which says online it's 236 mls of a serving size but I'm not sure of the exact caffeine amount in it . I tried to look it up but I can't find anything !

Sorry 286 **
I'm guessing it's around the 200mg amount

https://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/pdf/CAFFEINE_CONTENT_-_Canada.pdf

Does this help?

I've heard that eating an apple (whole so that you bite into it) wakes you up as much as coffee. Might try it before going for coffee if you're wanting to avoid caffeine.

Thank you I also just found that !
I was even thinking just a decaf coffee which has way less mg but still would satisfy my addiction to drinking a coffee lol

I still drink coffee and iced tea. I don't pay too much attention to it, as some days I'll have none where others I might have three cups. And as for iced tea, it's the only drink I get if I'm out which isn't very often, so if I am I'll drink it. I did the same in my last pregnancy and he's a happy healthy boy that isn't all crazy or high strung.

I was hoping I could get by on drinking decaf, but my doctor says absolutely none. It may be because it is a fertility doctor and they are really concerned with miscarriages. :(. I really want coffee.

And I'm sure it's fine in moderation.. I think my doctor is just overly cautious. Even says no chocolate since it has caffeine in it!

I've done the same as you... no caffeine in my first pregnancy, a teensy bit in the second, but now in this third one, I just can't seem to function without it! Been having a cup (8-12 oz.) of coffee in the morning and either another coffee or a diet soda in the afternoon. I've actually found that the coffee has helped keep me regular, so I'm all for it! lol.

Timmy's will do half decaf if you ask. Then you can get a medium but only have the caffeine of a small! :)

I'm not one for rules. I've had to perfectly healthy children eating and drinking what I want. Plus the rules which were in place for my son, changed when I had my daughter, then changed again between my miscarriage (2nd trimester not due to caffeine but sepsis) to now. You are now allowed runny eggs for example which you couldn't last year.

I have one cup of coffee a day if I want it. It's fine in moderation

That's so true with the "rules" always changing !
I can't believe your doctor told you no chocolate michellebelle ! I say if you're already cutting out coffee completely go ahead and treat yourself with a chocolate bar lol.

I know! I don't eat much chocolate anyways.. But now that I've been told I shouldn't have it... I want it. :haha:

I figure I'll follow along with the doctor's orders for a bit since it is still so early, and then if I want a cup of decaf once I am sure things are going well.. I may splurge!

This is my first pregnancy and I was a real stickler for the 'rules' until I got to about 10 weeks...now I allow myself a coffee every other day or so but drink decaf tea at work. X

I drank one cup of coffee a day last pregnancy until I got to the point where the smell of coffee made me nauseous. That was a sad few months lol. I will continue to drink one cup this pregnancy but I'm expecting in the next few weeks I'll be sadly turned off to coffee again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->