Coil removal issues - any advice ?

blue_kat

Reaction score
So I went to the doctors today to have my Mirena coil removed so we can start to ttc!! :happydance:

But she couldn't find the strings!!

I haven't had a period (although been spotting a bit recently) so she thinks they might be just deeper inside or something and has referred me to the hospital so the gyne ppl can use better equipment or something.

I'm scared its gonna hurt!

Has anyone been through this?

Should I do a pregnancy test or ask them to first just incase? Not sure they should be prodding round if the coil already fell out...

Plus just wanted to a big grrrrrr that it looks like I'm in wtt limbo till I get my appt!!!! I've spent ages making my mind up to actually ttc too lol

Did she use a speculum to look further in? I don't know why she didn't do an ultrasound to see if she could see it. I think its pretty common to lose the strings. When I had mine removed, I took some ibuprofen before and I didn't feel a thing. Hopefully they can remove yours with no issues!

Thanks for reply, she used the plastic thing to 'open me up' then tried to use what she called a stringer grabber thing but said they have longer things at hospital. She said no point doing ultrasound as I haven't had periods, typically I'm bleeding now after all the poking around!

I posted about this a few weeks ago.. i am now mirena free! They couldnt find the strings and thought the coil had 'migrated' so i had a scan done. I was then booked in with a senior doctor who managed to remove it for me. and he also had a scan machine to hand so he could keep an eye n where it was. I have to be honest, for me, it was painful, even with two doses of local anaesthetic but i cannot remember the pain anymore and so happy to get it removed. Mine was only more painful because it had moved so far up and they needed to go far up there.

I did not feel comfortable having doctors 'poke' around trying to get it removed which is why i asked to be referred for a scan first, it just makes more sense to know what area to look in! gl getting it out x

Well an update: had a feel myself and I am pretty sure I can feel the strings! I have a feeling the doctor didn't really have much experience in it or something g, she was running really behind so I'm betting she couldn't be bothered to keep trying!

I also wonder why she didn't do an internal ultrasound when she was at it, to see if she could spot it... You should be able to feel them yourself, so when you say you're feeling them there, they're probably there! GL!

It took my doctor what felt like a few minutes to find the strings and then grab them (although it probably wasn't) I imagine it's a bit of a tricky thing to do, a bit awkward as well lol, she got there in the end so I imagine perhaps the person doing it didn't have much confidence? I'm sure if you've felt the strings the next person will get it out no probs! Mine didn't hurt, I breathed in as she tugged and it was fine.

So I went to the doctors today to have my Mirena coil removed so we can start to ttc!! :happydance:

But she couldn't find the strings!!

I haven't had a period (although been spotting a bit recently) so she thinks they might be just deeper inside or something and has referred me to the hospital so the gyne ppl can use better equipment or something.

I'm scared its gonna hurt!

Has anyone been through this?

Should I do a pregnancy test or ask them to first just incase? Not sure they should be prodding round if the coil already fell out...
This is exactly what happened to me the other day!!!! They did an internal sono and found it.... said it is positioned perfect and not stuck... they just can't grab it... so I have to go to the hospital so they can use a tool with a camera on it!! I was so disappointed!!!

Ok, I am ressurecting this thread because I just had this problem. Went in to see the registered nurse in the OB/GYN office to have the Mirena removed after 2 years. Of course she gets in there and can't find the strings. After several loooong minutes of uncomfortable prodding (and I did take Advil before going) she said she couldn't get it! She did an internal scan and said it was perfectly positioned, but no luck removing it. So I had to schedule another appointment to go see one of the doctors in the office to have it removed. I am freaking out, worried that it had perforated my uterus or gotten imbedded and that they won't be able to get it out! Oh man this is stressful, and I have 3 days to go before the appointment.... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->