cold sores..... HELP!!

2bananas

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Can anyone please share with me any home remedies that have worked?

The cream I have bought from the pharmacist hasnt worked and I have woken up this morning with a sore which is near enough the size or a 20p on the corner of my mouth. I am so upset. It looks so hideous I dont even want to go out anywhere this weekend. I used to suffer badly as a teen with cold sores and havnt had one for years and years until recently but this one is the mother of all cold sores and I really need someone to give me a cure (i know nobody can really) but has anything worked?

I read about putting nail polish remover on it = surely this isnt sensible but a lot of people say it works :shrug:

Oh i look wretched! :cry:

I dont think there is much you can do when they come. We have the same prob when OH gets them.

You could try some ice from when it tingles to help stop it spreading out further.

ive got a cold sore too atm the only thing that works for me is zovirax sp? u can use a cloraseptic sp? for pain use a cotton bud to put it on also change ur toothbrush as it can re-infect u

Go to lloyds chemist (you can buy online if you don't have one near you) - they sell this little devise like electrolysis (that's they only way i can think to describe it) and it's especially for cold sores - no cream. They are usually on offer and don't think they are too expensive.

the creams don't work for me but the little patches you can get really stop them spreading... sorry can't remember their name. Also Boots do their own brand LIQUID which is a miracle worker I swear!

Good luck getting rid, i know the feeling and they are horrible xx

I remember the first time I got one. My mother told me to stick perfume on it and I did and it made it so much worse (sore and pussy! eww) so I wouldnt suggest sticking nail polish remover on it.

The only thing I ever use is Zovirax. I stick it on the minute I feel or even suspect a tingle and it works for me, but if that stuff doesnt work for you then perhaps that light machine mentioned will.

Cold sores are a viral thing and generally attack when your immune defences are down and some ingredients in lip products can trigger cold sore attacks( I can't wear Nivea lip balm!). So it may be worth taking notes and seeing if there is a pattern when you get them like how you are feeling what you have been doing or if you have worn the same lipstick/balm everytime you get one. If you find by chance lip balms are bad for you too, Vasaline should still be ok.

:)

I dont use zovirax it makes them worse for me.

I get one every 6mths on the dot and it turns into impetigo 99% of the time (It will have a weepy yellow crust) If you have the yellow crust go and get antibiotics.

I use Compeed patches at the first tingle now and they REALLY help. When I used to get them I would stay inside the house for 4-5 days and actually ended up depressed. The patches help so much and cut down the size they grow hugely. I also get acyclovir (sp?) tablets from the docs too as I get them bad.

I drink a pro-biotic drink every day as that is meant to help and also take vitamin B. This is meant to help. I always wear Vaseline on my lips with sun protection in too. (in a yellow tub)

Hugs, I know how you feel :(

Thanks for the replies

I am pleased to say that it has now been gone for a week - it did turn into impetigo in the end and so i was given some really good cream from the doc and it cleared it within a few days

Happy again now :)

Impetigo could come back of you get a cold sore again so I would go to docs on first appearence of cold sore just to be sure.

I am probably due one. Great lol :(

The Doctor may even be able to prescribe Aciclovir tablets if you are getting recurrent coldsores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->