Cold sores

Athena

Mum of 3 :)
Reaction score
My DH has a couple of cold sores and our baby is due in less than a week. We've said he won't be able to kiss her or anything and I won't kiss him on the lips now :( apart from hand washing etc before he picks her up and me BF is there anything else we can do to protect her? I'm worried because I saw a lady on the tv last year who's baby died after her DH Accidently infected her :(

I feel bad as I don't want to push DH away when she's so new but I'm so paronoid about this type of thing.

If I were him I'd go to the doc immediately and get a prescription. He can take a herpes med to clear him of his blisters. My DH keeps these when he's stressed... if he has any signs near our EDD I'm going to ask my doc if he'll write hime a prescription.

It's really very dangerous we nearly lost my niece to the cold sore virus. I would definitely talk to your doctor

TCP the hell outta that cold sore! It works to kill the active bit in days - hours, depending - it's amazing stuff, really..

And get him to go docs too - better safe than sorry :thumbup:

Once the sore has come up there is little that can be done for it.
Have you had any yourself in the past? If you have your baby will be born with a margin of antibodies to it but its still pretty dangerous.
If you have never had ome yourself then thats when it can get really dangerouse, there has actually been quite alot of cases of it being fatal to the baby.
If the mother has a cold sore during pregnancy thats actually really good because the antibodies are passed on to the baby and create quite a high tollerance to them.

I had no idea about this! When I had a cs with DS1 I had a cold sore and just avoided kissing him - I was so upset about it. But I also had one when I was pregnant with him.

I have one now too - blaming hormones and feeling completely run down. :cry:

Thanks girls. I've never had one so assuming have passed on no immunity..

DH went to Dr this morning and as Smokey said, not a lot can be done/taken once they are there. He is using zovirax regularly and I think he knows how important it is not to kiss her but I will show him a couple of articles I've found where babies have died, just so it really hits home-sorry I know that sounds awful but I am so so worried about this.

Hoping I might go overdue as not due for another 5 days and then if go a few days over hopefully it will have gone by then.

DH went to Dr this morning and as Smokey said, not a lot can be done/taken once they are there. He is using zovirax regularly and I think he knows how important it is not to kiss her but I will show him a couple of articles I've found where babies have died, just so it really hits home-sorry I know that sounds awful but I am so so worried about this.

Hoping I might go overdue as not due for another 5 days and then if go a few days over hopefully it will have gone by then.

When I get them, I try to catch them right away by applying rubbing alcohol - it seems to dry them up and prevent them from getting bigger. It also cleans the bacteria out once it has cracked and the pus starts coming out. Gross, I know. I get so depressed when I have one.

I noticed mine on Sunday, and already today, I've noticed that the inflammation is completely gone and it is drying up. I would feel confident that in another day or two it would not be contagious (but I still play it safe and stay away from kissing my little boy or dh until I can't see it anymore).

I can send you pictures of my niece if you want? It can also attack the eyes, spinal cord and brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->