College course fees

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows and can help.

I really want to do an access course but over 2 years rather than 1 so I can go to college weekends.

My partner works full time, I'm a sahm. I'm 27 and have no formal qualifications other than gcses.

I know level 2/3 courses are free for people 18-25 if its their first but I don't fall into that age bracket.

I know for the year access course the cost is aroun £1300, would it be double to do it over 2?

And would I get any help for fees or be liable for it myself?

My OH is at college now and we had this issue, at our college you paid for tge course per year the 1 year course was 1300 and the 2 year course was about 800 per year. At our college if I was claiming working tax credit for us then the course would have been free (depending on how much working tax you can claim) but as far as I'm away there are lots of changes next year so best thing to do is ring finance dept at the college and ask.

My OH is at college now and we had this issue, at our college you paid for tge course per year the 1 year course was 1300 and the 2 year course was about 800 per year. At our college if I was claiming working tax credit for us then the course would have been free (depending on how much working tax you can claim) but as far as I'm away there are lots of changes next year so best thing to do is ring finance dept at the college and ask.

Thanks for that Hun, think ill give them a ring this week.

We don't qualify for working tax credit unfortunately

X

It's a pain isn't it? OH is 30 but looks younger and when the college did their interview the tutor said it would be free because it was OHs first level 3 qualification but I guess they didn't check age and assumed OH was only 24 or something (goodness knows how with a cv listing 15years of jobs lol), we didn't check after that and it was a shock when we were told about the fees on enrolment day!

Check out with student finance at your college or on their site.
I'm 30 and had to check with them too, I'm o.k as I'm a single parent, but if your partner is working they'll probably means test both of you.
However, if you have to pay there is a new 24 plus advance learners loan for access to HE course., If you go on to complete your degree after an access course you don't have to pay it back. Check out GOV.com for more info.

With university qualifications the price doesn't normally increase with the number of years you do it across, but sometimes you have to pay them within a set time. For instance, I can take up to 5 years to do my current qualification but no matter how long I take to complete it I still have to pay within 2 years. I have a career development loan, it is a normal bank loan but you don't pay interest while you are studying a charity does. Go to the college first though to see the options, good luck and good for you :)

I won't have to pay UNI fees as I'm hoping to do midwifery or failing that nursing.

It's just college fees I'm going to struggle with. It's going to take 2 years to pay off our current loans so we can afford it comfortably but I don't want to wait another 2 and half years to just start at college :nope:

Check out with student finance at your college or on their site.
I'm 30 and had to check with them too, I'm o.k as I'm a single parent, but if your partner is working they'll probably means test both of you.
However, if you have to pay there is a new 24 plus advance learners loan for access to HE course., If you go on to complete your degree after an access course you don't have to pay it back. Check out GOV.com for more info.

Thank you sooooooo much for this info!!!! I had no idea about this loan!

I have applied to 2 colleges that offer my course part time.

I hope the loan is for part time courses also? I can't find any info to say its not so fingers crossed!

Xx

It doesn't qualify for masters :( great for college courses, I hope it goes well :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->