Combi feeding reassurance needed

mummyzilla

Reaction score
I am combi feeding my 5 day old son at present but I have seen so many different midwives since having him (as you do round here we dont have one consistant mw) and they all seem to have their own opnion upon this and its starting to get me down and I feel like none of them understand my reasons and its making me feel guilty.

A short history my dd was born early and severley jaundiced and had ot be tube fed for the best part of 2 weeks mostly and bottle fed my expressed milk, hence she didnt take off with bf and latching on etc, my supply was dwindling and basically she wasn't thriving and so at 6 weeks old I switched to bottle feeding.
I remember the frustration and anxiety and overall guilt this caused and throughout this pregnancy have been adamant that I would purely bottle feed to avoid that anxiety again from the start but as time approached I changed and decided I would give first feeds in hospital via breast then change to forula once home, once I gave my first feed and LO latched on and took to it so well I decided I would continue for the next couple of weeks whilst at home anyway in day atleast.

Here is my main stumbling block,I dont like the thought of bf in public. I wish I had the confidence but seriously I am a very active person and out a lot and I would not have the confidence to bf infront of say my MIL and her boyfriend or my dad, its just makes me feel so awkward and concious. I admire people who can but its not ME! Also my second problem is that my hubby is away at present until April so its just me and baba, the night feeds are a killer as I literally fall asleep as Im feeding LO.I had this problem while in hospital also and mw told me that its importnat that someone sits with me while feeding at night as I am so drowsy off my medication for op also aswell as normal tiredness sleepless nights! so I am alone feeding LO at night and really worried Im going to fall asleep or sufficare baba, so I am giving the 2 feeds early hours of morn (usually2am and 5am via formula in bottle) plus today I have given one formula feed during day as a male friend turned up unannounced and it was just too awkward...although obviously this is something I need to overcome, I am hoping to express and store for situations like this)

sooooo here is my problem, my baba has just done a really runny brown stool, I rang mw office for advice and as it happens its completely normal transition BUT she starts asking how I feed. I explained combi and she wanted to know why. I explained my reasons for night time formula feeds and she said almost sarcastically "ok so the reaosn you're not bf in night is beaucas eyour boobs are too big" I wanted to scream!!!!She then said I wouldnt fall asleep while bf at night and I told her I already had which is why mw in hospital had been concerned. She then said that I sounded like I wanted to give up bf but felt guilty about it and I shouldnt as ff is fine and I dont need to justify myself or feel pressured to continue and could she send someone to help me with my bf!!!!

I don't need help, baba feeds well off breast and off bottle and switches between two effortlessley!!!This was never an issue for me until midwives started asking why I was doing the two. I feel its working okay for us and I figure I was going to ff so seeming as he gets the majority of his feeds via breast right now this is to me a great achievement.

I DO WANT TO CONTINUE BREASTFEEDING this is my point but I also am not the kind of person who can whap them out in public so I would obviously look for bf rooms or toilets first and if not available when Im out and about would give him either an expressed bottle or some formula. As regard to night feeds until I have my routine and am more awake and alert and caught up on sleep Im just not taking risk of bf and nodding off, the ff at night are quickly guzzled by my little boy who is a big 10lber!!!He still goes straight to boob in morning.

Does anyone else feed this way? Should I feel pressured to choose one or the other as mws are making me feel? I don't want to give up breastfeeding, but it has to work for me, I would be very upset to have to give it up but I dont like being made to choose one or other:(

If anyone has got to bottom of this marathon post thanks and any advice or similar experiences would be welcome xx

Oh you poor thing, no one has the right to make you feel so guilty. Combi feeding can work brilliantly, I've done it since she was 14 days. I always bottle feed out & about because even though b feeding is now pain free & easy I could still not imagine doing it out & about. You do what you want, just try your best to ignore anyone telling you different. Xxx

Thankyou so much this makes me feel much more positive that its working for someone else. Noone can seem to understand that I don't want to give up bf ,I love it, and the reason that I ff for reasons stated above is so that I can CONTINUE bf!!!! If I didn't ff while out and about or during night at this stage then I would have given up. If I wa sforced to choose between the two I would feel terrible guilt and ff as I just can't get over the issue of bf infront of family members other than my mum or strangers. I love bf and want to continue when I can and I want to continue giving the majority of feeds via bf or as many as possible and ofcourse night feed when I am more awake and alert once my drugs after c sec are reduced and my sleep cycle is back to as normal as can be!!!

Thankyou so much for understanding, I shall be coming to you for tips if thats okay xxx

I appreciate where you are coming from - I get hot and bothered even thinking about BFing in public! I sometimes think 'Right ... I'm gonna do it' when I am out but I always chicken out!! I take bottles/cartons of formula with me just in case.

I have been combi feeding for a few weeks and found that it gives me a bit of freedom as well as teaching Erin to drink from a bottle. I can't always be around and I would worry that she would starve if I wasn't.

You definately need to do whatever is comfortable for you and ignore anyone that questions your decisions. Have you got any local baby groups/BF support groups you can attend? Even just going along to the Baby Clinic and having a chat with the HV might help with any problems.

you do whatever feels right for you hun, lo is gaining weight healthy what's the prob??
tell them to JOG ON ;) your baby not there's xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"