Combining BLW and Purees

Lucy_lu_84

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Hello girlies!

Weaning is getting close and closer, my Lo has never been a great sleeper but recently we've been getting from 10-5 and if he woke he would only take 2-3 ozs but past few days he has been taking 5-6 in the night. Could this be an indicator? Gosh Weaning is a mindfield of things! LOL

Anyway we'll be starting in the next month one way or another. So what I was wondering is if combining purees and BLW can work?
i fancy the idea of BLW but then I think making a batch of purees and popping them out of freezer when needed could be convienent. Would it work to do a bit of both?

I know I would have to wait till 6 months before giving any finger food if we do start slightly early. How would i do it though. I have read that you should give half a milk read offer puree/rice and then rest of milk. Could I think give him some finger food to play with.
Then maybe when he is on more than one meal do puree and at one BLW weaing at another?

sorry if these questions are silly...i just feel clueless!

thanks
Lu

I combine hun, I make thick purees and soups so he can feed himself or I can put them onto rice cakes for him. I did start slightly early, but the other girls advised me he wouldn't swallow any finger foods if he wasn't ready.

I'm more conscious of having things prepared and frozen for him because my diet isn't as good as it could be so I don't always want him to share what I eat. Although my diet is tons better since I've started looking to make things we can both eat. I'm also a bit of a planner so like to know io have things available for him.

Every feed I give him milk first, and leave a couple of oz. Then he always has a puree from a loaded spoon so he feeds himself, and a finger food to pick up. So if I'm doing avocado he has it mashed, plus some on rice cakes plus some sliced avocado. Once he's finished that he usually has the rest of the milk.

So I suppose we don't true blw but it works for us x

Yeah it is possible combine. We're BLW but I have been giving Ruby runny foods to feed herself off a spoon I've pre loaded, but I don't do this too often as I don't want to her to think that food doesn't need chewing iykwim? Basically they need to learn to chew to be successful at BLW, but all babies are different in what works for them :) You may find that Joshua prefers to feed himself and won't accept spoon feeding. You are right, tis a minefield...good luck!

thanks girls!

Kiree we don't always eat great either, specially not at lunch time thats why I was thinking of doing some pureed things and having them prepared so that I know there is always something good for him to eat.
When did you start giving your LO finger foods?

Very true.. and if he doesn't like being spoon fed I'm happy for him to go ahead and feed himself :) I was giving him calpol the other day and he was grabbing at the spoon and trying to do it himself! LOL Went everywhere!

all I know is I'm not keen on starting him on baby rice..not sure why i jsut think it looks awful! LOL

baby rice looks awful doesn't it. I guess it's just designed to taste bland! But in general, babies who have been breastfed are used to different tastes in their milk so they are likely to enjoy different flavours anyway!

it sure does! never thought about the Bf and being used to different tastes anyway .. we have one free packet of baby rice that OH wants to give LO maybe i will 'lose it' hehe

Ha ha I was just gonna ask this..I been following the BLW book and doing everything said in there..but i did purees with my first and am finding it hard to break that habbit.

So I decided I am gonna do both..which I know can also work. My LO has never slept through..she wakes every night for a feed, I've tried upping the milk but no she won't take anymore so hoping solids may help maybe ..I don't know but I am gonna try..as my first was such a brill sleeper!

This is what I am doing (my own view on what to give my own baby btw) Porridge in the morning, she does some herself and some I help her with. Lunch finger foods..(my LO is only 5months and had broccoli the other day and def swallowed cause it was in her nappy..yay!! ) Tea- some puree with fingers of whatever we are having for tea..vbeg etc. I am still continuing with all the milk feeds as what shes having at the moment isn't enough to drop any.

Good luck...and yes combining can def be done! :hugs:

I think it was just over 5 mth hun when I began, and I started with banana cos I felt safer about that.

Baby rice looks and tastes like wallpaper paste!

Wall paper paste! Yum! LOL

Thanks Maccy :) yay for you little one eating the brocoli.

My LO is 5 months on Friday..so its reasurring to know some of you started the finger foods a little early. We've tried giving him more Milk to in the day ...but he isn't interested. Yet he still wants to more at night...think he loves his cuddles with mummy to much to skip them lol

Wall paper paste! Yum! LOL

Thanks Maccy :) yay for you little one eating the brocoli.

My LO is 5 months on Friday..so its reasurring to know some of you started the finger foods a little early. We've tried giving him more Milk to in the day ...but he isn't interested. Yet he still wants to more at night...think he loves his cuddles with mummy to much to skip them lol

We're doing BLW, no purees and we started giving her food to play with at 5.5 months as we knew it'd be a while until she started swallowing.

I'm confused as to how BLW and puree combined works because Violet knows when she's not eating the same things (she has what I have but sometimes OH has slightly different or extra and she knows!) and she'll just stare at him eating it haha

I've just used BLW as the push to make us all eat better. If we don't eat good diets then how can I expect her to? That's my view anyway :flower:

Using BLW would be good to eat better I guess...It's not that I eat unhealthly I'm just a buggar for skipping meals! Always eat at dinner time but some days I miss lunch and others I jut grab whatever. Guess would be good to sit down with LO and eat .. means I am being good to! :)

We do both. Started on Purees at 5 1/2 month then introduced BLW at 6 months. Ellis has 2 teeth and makes a dent on his finger foods (his cheese sticks look like a mouse has nibbled it) I don't puree his food now, its mashed for texture and lumps but I'm hoping to phase this out and go totally BLW over the next week.

thanks girls!

Kiree we don't always eat great either, specially not at lunch time thats why I was thinking of doing some pureed things and having them prepared so that I know there is always something good for him to eat.

Very true.. and if he doesn't like being spoon fed I'm happy for him to go ahead and feed himself :) I was giving him calpol the other day and he was grabbing at the spoon and trying to do it himself! LOL Went everywhere!

all I know is I'm not keen on starting him on baby rice..not sure why i jsut think it looks awful! LOL

have you looked into plum's baby porridge, they do different flavours so you could give that for brekkie or lunch. it is wheat free too.

thanks girls!

have you looked into plum's baby porridge, they do different flavours so you could give that for brekkie or lunch. it is wheat free too.

Not seen them , will take a look :) Thank you

i mix the baby rice with prueed banana/advacado or whatever veg ive got, its much nicer!

Thanks Catherine...another good idea :D
I'm clueless :)

how's Scott getting on?

My understanding of BLW means no purees or spoon feeding. Only finger foods they can handle themselves.

Although I did puree's and some finger foods from a young age. And Jasmine will eat anything, she is happy to be fed and feed herself and she isnt picky at all.

Do what works for you and your baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->