comfort feed, good or bad ? Who decide

mylittlebubs

Reaction score
I comfort feed my baby and he wakes up at night about 3-5 times a night,but 2-3 times because he wants food.
What do you think about it?

i have done that a couple of times too, but i think it might possibly make things worse. if they know they will get cuddles milk etc in the night then they will wake up for it and it gets a hard cycle to break!. ive switched to just water at night and she doesnt wake up for milk now.

i have done that a couple of times too, but i think it might possibly make things worse. if they know they will get cuddles milk etc in the night then they will wake up for it and it gets a hard cycle to break!. ive switched to just water at night and she doesnt wake up for milk now.

i'll try that tonight. Thanks.
Hope it will work so he can get better/longer sleep

I used to do it all the time, I don't see a problem with it. We night weaned at 15mo though

Ewan used to wake for a drink all the time once or twice a night, so i gave it to him, water didnt work he would scream, so as soon as he had milk he would settle and sleep for th rest of the night.
He only started sleeping through at 3 yrs.

I give Jasper (8 weeks old) nearly continual feeds from about 3am onwards, because I need MY sleep and so every time he stirs (by 3am he's in our bed) I pop the breast in his mouth and he'll give me anouth 30mins-1hr of peace!

I'm sure I'm making it worse, but right now I'm just surviving motherhood. I'm sure in a couple of months I'll actually be able to implement some restrictions, but right now I'm going for the path of least resistance.

I give Jasper (8 weeks old) nearly continual feeds from about 3am onwards, because I need MY sleep and so every time he stirs (by 3am he's in our bed) I pop the breast in his mouth and he'll give me anouth 30mins-1hr of peace!

I'm sure I'm making it worse, but right now I'm just surviving motherhood. I'm sure in a couple of months I'll actually be able to implement some restrictions, but right now I'm going for the path of least resistance.

i used to do that as well , and i co-slept. Now I'm half co-sleeping, :rofl:
i out him in his cot at 7:30 pm and when i go to bed he would wake up for a feed, then i put him in bed with me for the rest of the night. Some night i put him back in his cot until next wake-up and he will be with me in bed all night. me and OH love to have him in bed. in-laws are here telling us to put him in his cot, so we do:blush: until we go to bed and they are in their bed :rofl: cheeky mummy

I still comfort feed. To be honest, I can complain sometimes but I don't mind really. She could be alot worse.

Do what you feel is right for you. I agree more with angels... and there is absolutely no way I can have a baby that gets up in the night when they arre still a year and a half old... I work in a hospital and it would be stupid of me to work sleep deprived.

FF babies can wake for comfort feeds too... I found Jasmine was waking and only taking an oz or 2, so I started offereing the dummy first.

there is absolutely no way I can have a baby that gets up in the night when they arre still a year and a half old...

You may not have a choice! :D
I know i didnt with Ewan, nothing would make him sleep through! but you get used to it. I dont feel he was comfort feeding he was hungry! and if i tried to get him back to sleep without the feed, i would actually but up more during the night. It was easier to get up for 30 mins and feed him or give him a bottle when he was older and have the rest of the night asleep, or i'd up up every 2 hours trying to get him back to sleep, i'd be walking around like this :shock:

I still do it,but I dont really mind it.They outgrow that anyways.

I dont know, I dont know of any babies over a year who get up all night like that (except for teething)... I worked for a foster home so they were all ff and slept in crib from day 1... as is my baby... and all of them developed really good sleep habits from a good routine from the start.

Just my opinion though, but I cannot afford to make mistakes with my job... I find it funny cause people will turn around and complain about nurses and doctors and their attitudes, not hinking that maybe they have a baby at home still... Its quite sad too.

Well my son, Hayden, didn't sleep through until 15mo and yes some nighttime feedings were comfort feedings, 90% of them were not. He was and still is very tiny and NEEDED those feedings, it wasn't habit or anything like that, it was that he needed them still. Every baby is different and some do need feedings at nighttime, even at a year old. Yes I coslept but only until a year old and even then he was in a great routine and when we moved him to his toddler bed he still was, he still didn't sleep through until he was ready

I nurse Brennan all through the night. You have to do what feels right to you. If you resent it, then change it.

My older two nursed and comfort fed when they were tiny then they lost interest themselves and slept right through by four months, so i'm expecting Sam to be the same. If not i dont mind, i enjoy my nightime snuggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->