"Comic Relief money should be spent on contraception"

suzanne108

Reaction score
That was a status I saw on Facebook last night.

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on it? :D

Its no a bad idea but idk if its religion based too?

Are they trying to say that the children who suffer shouldn't exist in the first place?

Im not going to give my full opinion on this as I think the thread could get quite heated however I do not disagree with their comment.

x

I don't think it's as simple as that!!!......... I think educating is more important.

There are also a lot of people with aids, not just in developing countries, who still choose to have children as aids can be managed with the right care.... the money from comic releif is going towards giving the right care.

Maybe the people there should have it avaliable, but theres always gonna be a certian amount of children suffering, in third world countires theres alot of rape etc and are men gonna be like wait I need to put a condom on first? I doubt it. Maybr a certian amount should but deffinately money needs to be used to help make the childrens lives better,

I disagree, some people are very small minded in certain parts now there are options of contraception clinics and these are often run by women from there own homes to try and prevent unwanted pregnancies aswell as the passing of HIV and Aids. You cannot just walk into a country and say this is your belief but slap a condom onit. I should imagine if it was that easy this problem would have been resolved years a go but just isn't that staright forward. And surely if the contraception was the answer to the children surely this would also be the answer to HIV and Aids? But it's just not this straight forward. If people are so fussed about it and makes comments like give them contraception then help by donating to make some of this possible, this is just my opinion. Please be nice lol

There were some vile status's on FB last night inc ones accousing people of not giving an f about this country. This country gets enough "donations" from me in the several hundred pounds a month in tax I pay. I will not be made to feel guilty because I choose to donate money to those that don't get paid benefits, get subsidised housing and have access to clean water, healthcare and education. You don't have to contribute, no one is forcing you. ironically most of these posters were also putting up pics of their kids dressed up funny for the event and commented about how funny the sketches were. Blah is right, religion is key and that doesn't help as it also tells them that condoms are the devils work, causes AIDs etc....

I saw this on FB too, it started off a very heated discussion! in the end the OP deleted it, I'm not sure how i feel on it yet so i'm not going to comment on what i think.

Of course it doesn't account for rape but the same thing goes in this country :shrug: A lot of families don't use condoms cos they cant afford them and they end up having 10 children they cant afford without even bringing the whole aids thing into the equasion.

Im not saying people shouldn't have children. But i certainly think that contraception should be available. I do feel for the people of Africa but it dosent mean that they cant be educated in safe sex etc.

The tax you pay dosent go to the projects that 40% of the money comic releif does and the money from Children in need. I get taxed almost £500 a month and i dont see that as a donation to causes that it could help, such as the drugs that NICE have advised we are unable to offer patients with heartbreaking conditions because it costs too much. Things such as the North East Air ambulance is not government funded so they dont receive any of your tax yet they do a fantastic job and with out them so many lives would be lost.

Im not narrowed minded but I do think there's plenty of good causes in the UK that money could be donated to and this is why i'm a firm believer in children in need over comic relief. I don't expect you all to agree, this is a forum and different opinions are going to be given and i respect each persons opinion as I know that some may differ from mine.

It is very easy too sit on the outside and say what other country's should & shouldn't do to make things better for themselves, in reality, we can't even come close to comprehending what it must be like for people in 3rd world country's so therefore maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge and make statements of 'well if they just did .....' :shrug:

idk, a lot of it is education. Poor villages don't have access to information like we do. No TV, no books, no internet.. not even printers or computers to make leaflets :shrug:

Way too early for me to even attempt to digest this one and give an opinion :lol:

Im not saying people shouldn't have children. But i certainly think that contraception should be available. I do feel for the people of Africa but it dosent mean that they cant be educated in safe sex etc.

The tax you pay dosent go to the projects that 40% of the money comic releif does and the money from Children in need. I get taxed almost £500 a month and i dont see that as a donation to causes that it could help, such as the drugs that NICE have advised we are unable to offer patients with heartbreaking conditions because it costs too much. Things such as the North East Air ambulance is not government funded so they dont receive any of your tax yet they do a fantastic job and with out them so many lives would be lost.

Im not narrowed minded but I do think there's plenty of good causes in the UK that money could be donated to and this is why i'm a firm believer in children in need over comic relief. I don't expect you all to agree, this is a forum and different opinions are going to be given and i respect each persons opinion as I know that some may differ from mine.

I understand where you are coming from and appreciate you opinion. don't get me wrong, I also donate to several causes here in the UK. Children in need also does alot for this country too.

i havent read the whole thread but ive thought for years that they should help with contraception over there but then again most pregnancies come from being raped and therefore i doubt a rapist is going to think of using a condom first.

all these donations while they are good seem to be a waste of time whithout their government actualy getting sorted out first.

but also in this country you can get condoms for free bt people never get them and use them

Im afraid i have to agree with stef....
Altho my heart goes out to these people - there are aids sufferers and ill children on our own doorstep that need our help, for every african living in squalor in a mud hut theres an english person living in squalor in a box on our streets....
Charity starts at home in my eyes im afraid - im all up for donations and i donate monthly by DD to NSPCC,Children in need,Cancer research and RSPCA
I run the race for life every year and have raised a good few hundred pounds in doing so, So its not that im a tight arse its just i think we should sort our own sick and needy out before we help other countries

No child will go starving in the UK. NONE. Millions of babies literally starve to death in Africa every year :nope:

Im afraid i have to agree with stef....
Altho my heart goes out to these people - there are aids sufferers and ill children on our own doorstep that need our help, for every african living in squalor in a mud hut theres an english person living in squalor in a box on our streets....
Charity starts at home in my eyes im afraid - im all up for donations and i donate monthly by DD to NSPCC,Children in need,Cancer research and RSPCA
I run the race for life every year and have raised a good few hundred pounds in doing so, So its not that im a tight arse its just i think we should sort our own sick and needy out before we help other countries

i believe charity starts at home also, theres so many charitys in this country needing the support. if we helped our own country abit more then maybe we wouldnt be in such a mess.

and i no we are no where near as bad as africa but like i said before nothing we do is going to change that country as their government is corupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->