"Comic Relief money should be spent on contraception"

There are ways of reducing the risk though, there is a 1 in 4 chance (so 25%) of a baby getting hiv from its mum, with the right care/treatment that can be reduced to a 2% chance. Obviously different people will feel different things about those risks, but just wanted to say that it is much lower than I thought :flower:

Tasha- thanx for clarifying that someone actually said forced sterilization, I was beginning to think I had imagined it.
Sterilization is really bothering me because its in effect saying "sorry ma'am, your life is shit, you will never make it better, so you cannot have children". Also, from an economical point of view, the money used on sterilizing would be better spent on lobbying for fair trade, education, anti-corruption, AIDs, sanitation, humanitarian efforts etc the real problems.

So IMO that is where the money should be going, making sure pregnant women with HIV are given the right care in order to reduce the risks to their babies!!!

Tasha- thanx for clarifying that someone actually said forced sterilization, I was beginning to think I had imagined it.
Sterilization is really bothering me because its in effect saying "sorry ma'am, your life is shit, you will never make it better, so you cannot have children". Also, from an economical point of view, the money used on sterilizing would be better spent on lobbying for fair trade, education, anti-corruption, AIDs, sanitation, humanitarian efforts etc the real problems.

Me too, thats why I went to look, luckily page 12 was the first one I clicked on :haha:

I agree, it is sort of saying there is no hope, the thing is anyone's situation can change at any time, but once sterilised, thats it.

i have heard stories of women who have been sterilised and have actualy got pregnant after the fact....nothing really to do with the thread but thought id mention it lol

i have heard stories of women who have been sterilised and have actualy got pregnant after the fact....nothing really to do with the thread but thought id mention it lol

:rofl: you are quite random sometimes aint ya? :haha: Me too, but I imagine it isnt a regular occurrence. I think there are some more reliable ways of doing the sterilisation

Lol I thought it was only possible with men for the sterilization not to take

it goes to show that sterilisation wouldnt be the end tho as sometimes it dosnt work so u can never be 100% sure that woman or man with the snip couldnt have more children.

it goes to show that sterilisation wouldnt be the end tho as sometimes it dosnt work so u can never be 100% sure that woman or man with the snip couldnt have more children.

Yep, but not really a good way to think. Sterilisation or the snip should both be considered permanent, because sometimes people who try to have a reversal it fails.

Just read and failure rate is like 1.4% so not nearly high enough to be considered as not the end.

Yep, but not really a good way to think. Sterilisation or the snip should both be considered permanent, because sometimes people who try to have a reversal it fails.

i dont think its a way to think im just pointing out that it wouldnt be the end as u never no the results from one person to the next so it shouldnt be used in the way that is suggested. obviously unless the person wants it done

Why is everyone ignoring my bit about babies being born into uncertain circumstances for 99% of human history? :shrug: lol

And there were 15.4 million children living in poverty in the United States in 2008; so yes, the number is absolutely in the millions. But we have social services, we have foster parent programs, welfare aid, WIC, food stamps. I may be looking at it simplistically, but this is what I, personally, see in some posts:

*Nobody wants children in the UK or US to starve, so the solution is to throw money into benefits, welfare aid, food stamps, WIC, foster care, social services, education grants, shelters and free clinics.

*Nobody wants children in Africa to starve, so the solution is to sterilize women so the children don't exist at all.

Something isn't adding up- the consensus seems to be "give up on Africa, it's hopeless". But when other places like America, the UK, Ireland, Eastern Europe, etc. saw great poverty and famine, there was the assumption that we would pull through and have a better future for the children (that we weren't 'heavily discouraged' to have) because, as opposed to Africa, we are.... what? What are we? Why not Africa? :(

ETA: I still do believe that some of the aid money should be spent on contraception, but only for the people who want it. I just don't like the turning some of the discussion has taken into saying that African women are to be faulted for having the same desire to have children, and the same right to them, that we have. :flower:

Agreed.

This is really O/T but just wanted to say hope you are getting better care hun, I know you was promised a lot and it hasnt materialised :hugs::hugs:

Why is everyone ignoring my bit about babies being born into uncertain circumstances for 99% of human history? :shrug: lol

And there were 15.4 million children living in poverty in the United States in 2008; so yes, the number is absolutely in the millions. But we have social services, we have foster parent programs, welfare aid, WIC, food stamps. I may be looking at it simplistically, but this is what I, personally, see in some posts:

*Nobody wants children in the UK or US to starve, so the solution is to throw money into benefits, welfare aid, food stamps, WIC, foster care, social services, education grants, shelters and free clinics.

*Nobody wants children in Africa to starve, so the solution is to sterilize women so the children don't exist at all.

Something isn't adding up- the consensus seems to be "give up on Africa, it's hopeless". But when other places like America, the UK, Ireland, Eastern Europe, etc. saw great poverty and famine, there was the assumption that we would pull through and have a better future for the children (that we weren't 'heavily discouraged' to have) because, as opposed to Africa, we are.... what? What are we? Why not Africa? :(

I didnt think it was the consensus hun, I think most people on this thread were arguing that sterilisation is not the answer, lots of other things possibly are (like better health care for all and especially people with HIV, better education etc), but not sterilisation.

I didnt think it was the consensus hun, I think most people on this thread were arguing that sterilisation is not the answer, lots of other things possibly are (like better health care for all and especially people with HIV, better education etc), but not sterilisation.

Sorry :dohh: I meant the consensus, like, everywhere; not on this forum in particular. There is a lot of "what's the point?" going around, ykwim? :flower:

Aaah, I am with ya. Sorry for misunderstanding. And yes, I have heard/read similar on quite a few occasions elsewhere. :nope:

I agree Nic. If your OH dies or leaves and you have young children or pregnant, the UK government looks after you. There is no benefit system in Africa so they have no income to depend on. Since they have no benefits or money to feed themselves, I think we have a moral obligation as a human being to help as much and where we can.

Not poverty on the same scale though is it?
There are not millions of children starving to death, living on the streets and dying in the us or uk.

Its the fact that the majority of Africans cannot look after their children in the way the majority of us can in US or UK!
I would prefer it if money did go towards more contraception and educating them in sexual health.
I can honestly say I dont know all the 'ins and outs' but I only donated a few pounds because of my own reasons behind that.
Its a big problem over there and no way near on a scale to what the UK, US and other countries have.

I agree Nic. If your OH dies or leaves and you have young children or pregnant, the UK government looks after you. There is no benefit system in Africa so they have no income to depend on. Since they have no benefits or money to feed themselves, I think we have a moral obligation as a human being to help as much and where we can.

going off topid here, but that is what youd think but no they really dont look after everyone whos partners leave die as ive found out. and no im not comparing it to the scale of what its like in africa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->