Coming of the Pill Early?

Staceysparkle

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is planning coming of the pill a while before TTC? Me and my OH aren't planning on TTC until May 2010 but I've been on microgynon for about 7 years and am thinking about coming off soon so I can make sure everything is working properly and I've heard it can take months to get your cycle back to normal . On the other hand I've heard of people coming of the pill early thinking it will take ages to get pregnant and getting a BFP after 2 months. I know if I came of the pill we are so scaterbrained we would forget to use other contraception and we are planning our first holiday at the start of May and I dont want to be pregnant for that but I would hate to get to our TTC date and come of my pill and have 6 months waiting for my periods to get back to normal. Really can't decide what to do :( Any suggestions ladies? :wacko:

we have! i came off the pill, this time, a few months back, but was on the advice of my gyne due to pcos.
we obviously are careful as we have our wedding, but i feel better for it.
i was on the pill before we started ttc last time with my daughter, and i would say it took about 2months for my cycle to get back to 'normal' - i'd been on the pill about 8/9years at the time.
perhaps you and your OH could sit down and work how when you wouldn't mind if you have an 'oop's', maybe leave it 1/2months before your holiday hon if you would like to come off the pill before hand? either way, lots of luck :hug:

I was taking Microgen for 11 years and ended up coming off it in Sept 09... mainly because I couldn't get to the docs due to work commitments. I spoke with my husband and although we haven't actually decided to TTC we wouldn't mind if there was an 'accident' before we have to commit to TTC... (we're basically commitment phobic but would be happy if it happened! lol)
I would say to come off as early as you wouldn't mind an accident. My periods have been really awful since, but since taking supplements - that you would need to take anyway when TTC - they're slowly becoming normal after about 4 cycles.
Hope that helps! :-/

I'm on microgynon too, and although we may not be trying until 2014, I plan to come off it about 8 months in advance just to try and get my periods back to normal, especially as in 2013 I'll have been on it for 5 years:thumbup: Personally, I'd come off it now hon and just use condoms until you're ready to TTC :) x

i was on microgyon for 4 months...came off 6 months ago and still havent had a period?
xxx

4 months or 4 years? Have you been to the doctor hon?

4 months lol...yep...they dont no whats wrong yet...have to have tests xxx

God I had no idea it could take that long to get your periods back to normal. Think I might have a talk with OH and suggest coming of soon if we were strict about using condoms until around March next year and then maybe relax a bit nearer the holiday. Thanks everyone and Princess_Bump your wee girl is absolutley gorgeous :D I hope everything is okay for you Georgie90 :hug:

It took me a year after coming off the pill for my cycles to sort themselves out. They started off being regular for about 4 months and then I did not get AF for 3 months. The became a lot more regular after changing my diet to include more magnesium. I can't remember the reason for somebody recommending that to me in the first place but it worked.

:hugs: thanks girls...just wanted to warn everyone that it can take up to a year for periods to get back to normal!
xxx

i came off the pill nearly 6 months ago now and im not ttc until may 2010 (our holiday) We dont want to fall pg before the holiday either but if it happened it would be happy accident iykwim. i guess we are in the same situation. I have had a period every month since i stopped the pill but my body cant seem to decide how long they want to be, i had :

24 day
30 day
28 day
28 day
25 day
and im on cd 25 at the moment. had cramping for a couple of days so im expecting af will show up today!

Id def come off it before you try - id say about now so you can geet to know your body and your cycle before you ttc.

Sorry if im rambled lol.

xx

Hi my periods after coming off the pill have been ranging from32 day cycles to 60 day cycles. I have now been off the pill for 14 months and till no change hoping it will improve heard that magnesium and copper reccomendation before so might have to put that one into practice .

I came off Microgynon 30 in July. Had my withdrawal, then one period in three months... Another one only just appeared so I can testify that it will take some time to get back to normal. I have gone back on it now, but at least I know i'll need to come off it a good 6-12 months beforehand. Good luck x

My doctor actually told me to get off BC as soon as possible before TTC--or at least 3 months before because it does take a while for your cycles to sort themselves out. My first cycle off BC was 39 days and AF lasted nine days :wacko:

Thanks everyone, will definetly be speaking with OH tonight to see what he thinks. After hearing how long it can take I'm feeling like coming of the pill at the end of the packet I'm on now and stocking up on condoms until near holiday time lol. Where are you going on holiday lovehearts?

I've noticed a few people saying their doctors had advised them to come of the pill early. I was thinking of making an appointment to speak to my doctor about planning TTC next year but felt a bit silly. I was just wanting any advice they could give but wasn't sure if this was something other people did.

I believe they say you should stop taking the pill 3 month before you TTC.

In my personal experience, switching from the pill to condoms has not been good at all. Especially if you have been doing a lot of BDing with your OH without them. As with mine, we had been having sex for 2 years with no worries because I was on the pill. We got married, talked about TCC and I expressed the same concern as you, wanting to let my body regulate itself before we start trying (because who knows how long that will take), so he agreed to the whole condom deal.

NO GOOD! (sorry if next part is TMI) When a man is used to being inside of you with nothing in between, it is a hard adjustment to go back to condoms.. From my experience.. yours might be different.

I have been reading the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility and it is awesome. A little hard to read at first but chalked full of invaluable information. I have just started temping and charting to see when my 'fertile' days are and we will avoid those.

Every one is different. Hope this sheds some light:) Good luck

In my personal experience, switching from the pill to condoms has not been good at all. Especially if you have been doing a lot of BDing with your OH without them. As with mine, we had been having sex for 2 years with no worries because I was on the pill. We got married, talked about TCC and I expressed the same concern as you, wanting to let my body regulate itself before we start trying (because who knows how long that will take), so he agreed to the whole condom deal.

NO GOOD! (sorry if next part is TMI) When a man is used to being inside of you with nothing in between, it is a hard adjustment to go back to condoms.. From my experience.. yours might be different.

I agree. DF HATES condoms with a vengence and he's said it hasn't felt the same since I was last on the pill. Condoms seem to make me quite sore quicker too :wacko: He's now counting down the days until I'm safe lmao x

I agree with runnergirl. TCOYF is awesome! It takes a couple of cycles to get used to but afterwards I fell like I know my body a whole lot more. You can download a free trial of the software and if you like it buy the book and register your software. It pairs lots of different ways of knowing ovulation. It will be even more useful when you start to TTC.

Yep, we went in together, DH and I, to discuss coming off the pill. Doc didn't mind at all. It was a fun meeting. The doc suggested I stay on it until about 3 months before if I really wanted to prevent. Then start taking prenatals. We decided it was time to get off it and DH and I have been avoiding fertile days since May. We use condoms during the fertile days, though...we usually fudge a little since he hates them too. We don't care about accidents really. (sometimes I wonder if he wants an accident too) :happydance: My first 2 mnths off, I was still having 28 day cycles, then went to 26 day cycles for 2 months, now back to 28 for past 2 months. All my life before BCP I had 28 day cycles with 7 days of AF (incl. 2-3 spotting days)...that's basically where I am at now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->